• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pedestrian Crossing Laws!

Ripper

Actually thats not a bad idea at all, if you can get it to start recording when the car starts and stop when the car stops it wouldn't be much of a hassle anyway. The only problem would be that you would have to delete old footage from time to time which can be a bit of a hassle i guess :(

you dont have to manually delete stuff to make space... as I know most of them records the last "XX" mins/hours of your trip... so when you'v filled up the storage drive, it'll write over the other end.... think of it as a video-tape with the 2 ends of the tape pasted to form a loop :)

So if something happens you just stop recording, and yu have the last XX mins of tape including the incident..

• Like 1

dear you have to pay the fine as here any person crossing eitherside of that yellow lines (15m both sides) includes the crossing and we should stop the vehicle this happened to me sometime ago and Paliyagoda City traffic guy explained the rules

so better to pay.

okay dear!!

you dont have to manually delete stuff to make space... as I know most of them records the last "XX" mins/hours of your trip... so when you'v filled up the storage drive, it'll write over the other end.... think of it as a video-tape with the 2 ends of the tape pasted to form a loop :)

So if something happens you just stop recording, and yu have the last XX mins of tape including the incident..

Oh so like an endless loop i guess, that makes sense :)

dear you have to pay the fine as here any person crossing eitherside of that yellow lines (15m both sides) includes the crossing and we should stop the vehicle this happened to me sometime ago and Paliyagoda City traffic guy explained the rules

so better to pay.

Like crosswind pointed out there is no such thing as "pedestrians can cross anywhere within the zebra lines", obviously the cop who told you so was another fine specimen of imbeciles recruited to the SL police.

As far as the law goes the zebra crossing is more of "alert zone" for both pedestrians and vehicles, the zebra lines are there to alert the driver that there is a crossing ahead and they should be ready to stop any moment. Well i think the issue here would have been that ripper never slowed down in that specific section (i.e technically the cop has a point), but then again the pedestrian wasn't at the crossing itself so he has no reason to. IMO he can win in courts if he has any evidence (maybe a third party eye witness), but in this case i think its better to let this go cause its not worth the hassle.

What a load of crap. Sorry to hear it happened to you Ripper. And he gave you a ticket for running a red light? I think you shouldn't have accepted the ticket. Any sensible judge should let you go free without a fine or warning sisnce it's not your fault. All the best with the court case.

If you know someone in the cop shed try talking to him and change that to a spot fine.I know one friend who did that. Recently I was charged for driving with the mobile phone in hand and was given a court date.On the day of the courts I forgot to report to the cop shed before appearing in the courts. I had to sit in that hell hole from 9.00am to 4.30pm and my case was not called. later when I checked with their records I found that my case was not filed. So I came back to the cop shed(Kottawa)and explained it to the cop at the desk. I said I can't waste another day in courts so if possible to issue a spot fine instead. The cop was very polite and gave me a spot fine for Rs 500. So finally it was the hassle sitting in the court whole day which was the hardest part.

Edited by rover

If you know someone in the cop shed try talking to him and change that to a spot fine.I know one friend who did that. Recently I was charged for driving with the mobile phone in hand and was given a court date.On the day of the courts I forgot to report to the cop shed before appearing in the courts. I had to sit in that hell hole from 9.00am to 4.30pm and my case was not called. later when I checked with their records I found that my case was not filed. So I came back to the cop shed(Kottawa)and explained it to the cop at the desk. I said I can't waste another day in courts so if possible to issue a spot fine instead. The cop was very polite and gave me a spot fine for Rs 500. So finally it was the hassle sitting in the court whole day which was the hardest part.

in fact i'm trying to do just that. hence the reason not to disclose the location.

Cos it would me mighty tough for me to go to the court and accept fault for something i didn't do :(

The hitch is...even if i fight this at courts, busting time and money...i really doubt the judges will be on my side.

Cos it's just the cops word against mine.

Kinda sucks!

I will try this camera thing out and see! Well worth the bucks and ten mins of wiring time considering the hassle when you get pulled over or meetup with an accident!

What a load of crap. Sorry to hear it happened to you Ripper. And he gave you a ticket for running a red light? I think you shouldn't have accepted the ticket. Any sensible judge should let you go free without a fine or warning sisnce it's not your fault. All the best with the court case.

our systems are such here machang it's not at all easy or practical to fight state institutions.

Nobody cares about justice!

Recently had a problem with one of my kids pics being used by a state run tv station on a child abuse documentary film.

The pic they showed even has my watermark on it, visible on tv too. But when i spoke to two lawyers(one for intellectual property right and the other for defamation), when you look at the process...it's nearly impossible to get justice in present systems.

That's why lot of misdeeds go unpunished and we continue to be in this vicious cycle. sad!

Edited by Ripper

Members,

can any member educate who has the 1st priority (RIGHT) on the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Not clear, talking about pedestrians or cars ?

Well if its what i think it is and if you are talking about priority on a junction (in a vehicle obviously) you should always give way for vehicles on your right hand side as for them you would be on the left hand side which would be their blind side. I dont know if that's what you wanted to know, your question wasn't clear anyway.

Not clear, talking about pedestrians or cars ?

Well if its what i think it is and if you are talking about priority on a junction (in a vehicle obviously) you should always give way for vehicles on your right hand side as for them you would be on the left hand side which would be their blind side. I dont know if that's what you wanted to know, your question wasn't clear anyway.

Stig,

You are correct about motoring community. There was a law it is not practiced now it is old because no more animal driven carts are on the road.

Now the pedestrian has all the right on the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Stig,

You are correct about motoring community. There was a law it is not practiced now it is old because no more animal driven carts are on the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Your question and this reply isnt really clear to me, but if it was regarding crossing the road, according to a freind who's studying law ones a pedestrian steps on the crossing he/she should be given priority.

Your question and this reply isnt really clear to me, but if it was regarding crossing the road, according to a freind who's studying law ones a pedestrian steps on the crossing he/she should be given priority.

'CyRaX',

If a pedestrian is walking on the pavement and you want to turn your vehicle on to a by road he or she should not allow you go, by stop walking.

Because any way the pedestrian has the right on the road Motorist is on four wheels. Driver has to allow the pedestrian to walk and turn the car in to the by road. Without any obstruction to the walker.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Stig,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

"no more animal driven carts are on the road." Oh i dont know about this part, i for a fact see plenty of animal driven vehicle on the road mostly in the morning ;)

• Like 2

Machan just keep a voice recorder in your car. That's what I do. When ever I get pulled over I just pull it out and start recording before saying a single word. Usually they ask what I'm doing so I tell them I'm recording the whole conversation for my safety. It scares them away most of the time.

haha thats a good idea!

Ripper, you chose not to disclose location, but if it's within Colombo (hard to find many other places with 4 lanes) and a major junction like townhall or liberty - you may hv a friend within the police a.k.a the CCTV crime monitoring unit.

If this place had CCTV, just meet the police bugger and explain the situ and ask to withdraw the case or come up with CCTV evidence. You may find the tables turned.

• Like 1

Just curious, what were you driving?

A ford ranger!

Ripper, you chose not to disclose location, but if it's within Colombo (hard to find many other places with 4 lanes) and a major junction like townhall or liberty - you may hv a friend within the police a.k.a the CCTV crime monitoring unit.

If this place had CCTV, just meet the police bugger and explain the situ and ask to withdraw the case or come up with CCTV evidence. You may find the tables turned.

It was in colombo machang but there are no cameras there! My bad luck!

Anyways i'm trying my best change it to a spot fine! If i end up having to go to courts...most likely i think i will fight this cop! Even if it means of me having to spend money and rasthiyadufi a bit! This is the second time i've got pulled over and penalized when i was not at fault!

• Like 1

"no more animal driven carts are on the road." Oh i dont know about this part, i for a fact see plenty of animal driven vehicle on the road mostly in the morning ;)

'Stig',

I understand what you meant on your post most drivers do not obey rules on the road the on the road behave like animals.

As for my knowledge most of road rules were drafted in the west when they produced automobiles. Later they came to Srilanka also.

Early days on the roads mostly horse driven carts like in our country we had bull driven carts.So when Automobiles appeared on the roads Automobile drivers had give room to the carters because they were driven by animals. Carter even gives a signal to the animal some times animal will not act accordingly so first priority was given on the road to animal driven carts.

Today pedestrian has all priority's on the road.Most younger motoring generation want the speed not the safety of them self their vehicle which they drive or the other automobile road users specially the pedestrians.

To a certain extend we have to find fault with the pedestrians they do not obey road rules they cross the road as they like, some times the step on to the road to cross the road not from a yellow marked crossing. If they see a vehicle is coming fast they stop on the middle of the road without moving.

Then the motorist think pedestrian will go to the other side but it is not that so the driver has to apply brakes to stop the vehicle some times if the distance is not sufficient motorist will hit the pedestrian, or if the driver trying to avoid hitting the pedestrian he will turn his vehicle to left to avoid a accident by doing this the following motorist can hit on the side of the other vehicle.

Police should have regular TV and Radio programs to educate motorists and pedestrians.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Ya it is crap. Maybe the cop would have tried to use the same principal of parking near a crossing, i.e. no parking within 15mtrs of the zig zag area, therefore the entire area should be considered as a crossing? The traffic laws work out in funny ways in this place we call home. For example if you hit a pedestrian regardless of them being on a crossing or not, its your fault. So your damned either way.

Exactly! First the Cop should fine the owner of the vehicle who parked near a yellow line. You can only park where there are white lines.

best part is that cop can stop the cars and get the pedestrians to cross rather than waiting like a Greedy pig trying to Catch motorists

should actually stay near a Zebra crossing get a Video and send to the Media

Cops get leave to go home after completing there target for fining motorists.This is what I heard from couple of 3 Wheeler chaps.

Members,

some time back I had a problem crossing single white line on Puttlam road when the road was done up newly. I may have been driving at about 50 KMs at that time I over took another vehicle my driving side two wheels was on the other side of the straight white line Road was clear there was no traffic.

Suddenly cop appeared from the jungle and stop my vehicle said I crossed the white line both wheels. I gave my license. next day I contacted the DIG traffic I told my story he wanted a clear fax explanation of the entire incident which I forwarded in few hours. Few hours later the OIC Traffic of the area contacted me on telephone and wanted me to collect my license without any charge.

I wanted to thank DIG then he told me, this is a common in that area police men hide suddenly appear on the road and try to harasses drivers to make money. Single line you can cross only two wheels, not completely with all your vehicle four, wheels.

That is also If the road in front is clear only.

Police men will have to be on the road or by the side not hide, on the road to find faults of drivers.

Yesterday I was coming back from puttalam there were number of police check points with the speed guns. After Chilaw, they pointed the speed gun twice to my vehicle too, my driver was driving under 45 KMs.Mostly the check motor cyclists and three wheelers. Most on coming motorists did warn with head lights flashing. Chilaw to puttlam section in the morning and in the evening we did over 80Kms without any problem.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Recently had a problem with one of my kids pics being used by a state run tv station on a child abuse documentary film.

You should avoid putting these pics on the public internet, I remember telling this to that Parak guy from Aussie, and I think he has taken down the images of his kids.

Guys who take these and use have no moral values anyway, and it could end up anywhere. At least in your case its for a good cause, so best is it to avoid it.