• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Transmission Leaver Shifting

Uditha88

Question

Hi,

You know that we can shift automatic transmission lever when just ignition "ON" & engine is not actually started.

Usages:

* when engine dies when car in "D"

* To check the revers light working fine :)

So question is, is this bad or no issue.

(but it seems that manufacture should allow this as cases like car dies in "D" occurs)

6 answers to this question

hmm. I don't know exactly whether it is good or bad, but most of the times I stop the engine when gear is in D and try to start the car again at the same position. when its not working , just remembered ohh gear is in D position ne and shift the leaver to the P position and start. :)

Why would you do that? You should park with the gear in P so the transmission locks and holds the car in place in addition to your parking brakes. It is generally the practice for cars with automatic transmissions and as 'vishkid' states below on most cars the manufacturer has a safety feature where you typically can't take your keys out unless you do so.

I can stop the engine in D but I can't take the key out! :D

Edited by Kavvz

Hi,

You know that we can shift automatic transmission lever when just ignition "ON" & engine is not actually started.

Usages:

* when engine dies when car in "D"

* To check the revers light working fine :)

So question is, is this bad or no issue.

(but it seems that manufacture should allow this as cases like car dies in "D" occurs)

Thinking about it: I assume as there isn't transmission fluid being pushed through the system like when the car is running, it might wear down the transmission more than an ordinary shift would; but I don't think it happens often enough during typical usage for it to be an issue.

Why do you ask? Do you have a specific circumstance / scenario in mind?

Thinking about it: I assume as there isn't transmission fluid being pushed through the system like when the car is running, it might wear down the transmission more than an ordinary shift would; but I don't think it happens often enough during typical usage for it to be an issue.

Why do you ask? Do you have a specific circumstance / scenario in mind?

Wrong. Changing shift lever while engine is not running doesn't mean it wears out faster as such. Most of modern auto boxes Shift lever only sends an electronic signal to operate some valves in the valve body. If theres no fluid pressure in the tranny, that will operate the valve but won't operate the relevant piston

Wrong. Changing shift lever while engine is not running doesn't mean it wears out faster as such. Most of modern auto boxes Shift lever only sends an electronic signal to operate some valves in the valve body. If theres no fluid pressure in the tranny, that will operate the valve but won't operate the relevant piston

Cool, I stand corrected then. Thanks 'harshansenadhir'.