• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Duty Going To Increase This Friday ?

sampath_fer

Has anyone noticed the note of desperation on the AL ads? Some are even claiming that their Axio was made to order and that its special and to buy before the prices goes up... :)

I noticed some ads increased their price yesterday by 1.5-2.0 laks suddenly all those are registered cars.

Has anyone noticed the note of desperation on the AL ads? Some are even claiming that their Axio was made to order and that its special and to buy before the prices goes up... :)

that's defa a car sale chap! a series of ads are there with same contact details! I know we shouldn't diss AL ads but i doubt that "custom made to order by toyota" thing is true :P

I mean those cars are not available for customization from the factory...at least not to my knowledge

• Like 1

The way I see it, raising of taxes will not form queues outside car sales for people to buy. If a sale fellow is smart, he will try to unload his stock ASAP by selling them at the old prices as they were not affected anyway. But then, one cannot underestimate the power of greed of these Mofos!

• Like 1

that's defa a car sale chap! a series of ads are there with same contact details! I know we shouldn't diss AL ads but i doubt that "custom made to order by toyota" thing is true :P

I mean those cars are not available for customization from the factory...at least not to my knowledge

All sale persons including agents trying to mixup things now so after a week or two they will sale already landed and new shipments at same price. That cannot be avoided hence as buyers weknow the vessel was in colombo before tax rise but price are same.

He also claims that the new price of the car will be 7.8mill and to hurry & buy before it goes up....they think that the general public is a bunch of morons

All sale persons including agents trying to mixup things now so after a week or two they will sale already landed and new shipments at same price. That cannot be avoided hence as buyers weknow the vessel was in colombo before tax rise but price are same.

people can buy their cars from magampura harbor and drive away on expressway 100 kpmh for trial. if somethings wrong, go to the dealer and settle it there with proof. What a wonder???/

Edited by Malaka2
  • Like 1

He also claims that the new price of the car will be 7.8mill and to hurry & buy before it goes up....they think that the general public is a bunch of morons

Dunno if they're morons but they sure are a gullible bunch aren't they? I mean look at all these threads about gold badge Toyotas and fuel saving devices and so on. :)

VEHICLE BUYERS IN A STATE OF SHOCK

Prices have increased by more than half a million

- By Supun Dias - Sunday Leader - April 3rd

qsnsk7.jpg

Vehicle buyers were in a severe state of shock yesterday on hearing that prices of vehicles below the 1300cc category, for which they had already paid an initial instalment had skyrocketed by more than Rs.700,000 as a result of the massive taxes being imposed on such imports. Heated arguments took place between customers and vehicle agent representatives in Colombo yesterday. The customers accused them of not having released the vehicles on time while being aware that taxes were being increased.

Most of the buyers had paid their initial instalments in November to buy small family cars under the 1300cc category and had been visiting the relevant showrooms on a weekly basis to check whether the vehicle shipment had arrived.

As a result of the increased taxes those who had paid for and booked the vehicles would now have to pay more than half a million rupees to buy the vehicles.

A Polgahawela school teacher said she paid Rs.200,000 in November but the vehicle was still to arrive. “But they have released vehicles to buyers who had paid their instalments after November,” she charged. “I won’t leave this place until I get my car as it is now been five months. They are telling me and others who paid instalments in November to come on dates they have been giving us since February.”

Ranjan, who had paid the initial instalment in November, accused the agents of holding on to the vehicles knowing about the tax hike.

Another customer said after he had paid the initial installment and obtained leasing facilities said he would ahead with the purchase. “What can I do now?” he asked. “I will somehow find another Rs.700,000 and buy the car as I have been preparing and planning for this for a long time,” he said.

A leading car-agent representative in Colombo said once the vehicle arrives at the port it is entered into the system. It is only then that the price is marked taking into account the taxes and other charges.

“We did not increase the taxes. It is mentioned in the agreement that prices can change due to unavoidable circumstances,” the rep said.

The Finance and Planning Ministry had on Saturday increased taxes to reduce the heavy traffic congestion and bring down Sri Lankas fuel bill.

Taxes have been imposed depending on the engine capacity of the vehicles. Tax on hybrid vehicles below 1000CC have been increased by 14 per cent with tax on all hybrids above 3000CC being increased by 57 per cent.

Production duties for cars and vans have been classified into the fuel type used together with the engine capacity. The tax on cars under 1000CC using petrol has been increased by 85 per cent while cars with an engine capacity of more than 3000CC are being increased by 129 per cent.

Vehicles between 1000 CC and 2000 CC have also been increased by 85 per cent. Import duty on vehicle spare parts have also been increased. However there has been no change in the tax imposed on commercial vehicles such as tractors, buses and lorries.

14nkc41.jpg

According to the ITN news, vehicle prices may go down due to shifting to Hambanthota port. They also said Hambanthota port is free from most taxes for harbor services and lessen expenses such as waiting time, car holding time in harbor.

Is it true?

Thats because the general public IS a buncha morons. Haven't you been checking the posts on AL lately?

• Like 2

According to the ITN news, vehicle prices may go down due to shifting to Hambanthota port. They also said Hambanthota port is free from most taxes for harbor services and lessen expenses such as waiting time, car holding time in harbor.

Is it true?

Are you a toddler to believe that whatever savings the importer/salesman makes will be passed down to the buyer?

This plan of sending car carriers to hambanthota free-of-charge is quite retarded IMO. Our leaders' pride (or merely saving face) seems to be more important than the potential forEx that the country can earn through the colomo port.

• Like 1

Hope your joking mate

as much as i hate those 3 wheel chaps we as a country cannot afford to ban them as they are the average mans taxi

what the Govt should do is monitor those 3 wheel chaps and be strict on road rules but then hey if that happens the sun will rise up in the west ;-)

Nope - not joking. Anything can be average mans taxi but 3 wheelers are gone too far down the dumps to salvage.

Anybody proposing to ban 3 wheelers will get my vote irrespective of party allegiances.

Nope - not joking. Anything can be average mans taxi but 3 wheelers are gone too far down the dumps to salvage.

Anybody proposing to ban 3 wheelers will get my vote irrespective of party allegiances.

How will they suport their families then? Who will put food on their tables? You?

You just can't ban a person's means of income just because of a few bad apples.

The 3 wheelers are as bad as any other road user in Sri Lanka, no one is better or worse than the other. So if theya re being banned, then we have to sterotype the mobike users, the ALto users, the Viva Elite users, becasue if you really try, you might be able to actually find fault with all of them too.

• Like 8

Is it true?

Er.... this is ITN, sadly a lot of people may actually believe it..

What is that place, seems like Unit#d Mot#rs near town hall.

Yes Unimo.... subsidiary of Uni*ed Motors....

• Like 1

Is it true?

ITN? thats like reading the dailynews.... biased