• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What's The Auto 4 Wheel In Car

sanny

Question

Advantages would be better grip when you need on all four corners including some rough terrains where either FWD or RWD alone might not be able to negotiate. don't get this confused as you can use an AWD on some serious off reading.

Disadvantages would be less fuel efficiency, high wear and tear of parts (if the ordinary version of this model is RWD, then you will have an additional two CV joints to look after in the AWD version) comparetively, less market value and impressions, relatively less availability of some spare parts.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, what is the make of this auto 4 wheel car you have apparently come into possession of? If we have that we can go a long ways in clearing any doubts and answering any questions,

god u bought a 1997 AWD nissan pulsur

it means that all 4 wheels are working, as the term All Wheel Drive (AWD)

its not Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.. its full time four wheel drive..

yup yup call me..

Advantages would be better grip when you need on all four corners including some rough terrains where either FWD or RWD alone might not be able to negotiate. don't get this confused as you can use an AWD on some serious off reading.

Disadvantages would be less fuel efficiency, high wear and tear of parts (if the ordinary version of this model is RWD, then you will have an additional two CV joints to look after in the AWD version) comparetively, less market value and impressions, relatively less availability of some spare parts.

Out of curiosity, what is the make of this auto 4 wheel car you have apparently come into possession of? If we have that we can go a long ways in clearing any doubts and answering any questions,

he bought a 97 Nissan pulsur guys..

of all the cars he cloud have bought he bought a nissan pulsu AWD car damn. :sad-smiley-066:

First time i ever saw someone buy the car first and ask for advice later :rolleyes:

• Like 2

of all the cars he cloud have bought he bought a nissan pulsu AWD car damn. :sad-smiley-066:

The Pulsar isn't a half bad car. The stigma associated with it is due to the popularity of the Sunny models, but really the N and B series are parallel models.

as he told me yesturday

the car is FNN 15 and the previous owner has removed the rear differential it seems.. and he was complaining about a knocking sound when shifting gears (its manual)

First time i ever saw someone buy the car first and ask for advice later :rolleyes:

I also had the same feeling that he's asking for this advise late. However, it could be an instance where a seller would've cheated this fellow.

I have come across few instances where some friends of mine, whome are well conversant with vehicles have gone and bought AWD version of some popular models. One of them have realized that he bought an AWD simply by hearing a hum sound from rear diff, days after buying the car. Some people will realize that they're using an AWD car when they're going to sell it. So this can be something like that I presume.

Thats nothing... a known party went and plurged on a CRV and was baosting about it's 4WD capabilities... I ducked under the back of the vehcile and asked him where the diff is..... the face I saw after he lifted his head was worth a million bucks!!! ROFLMAO!! THink he went and started a fight with the seller.

Some buy AWD cars thinking its 2WD, others gets cheated the other way.

Most sellers are attuned to the propspective buyer and changes the sales pitch accordingly.

• Like 3

I also had the same feeling that he's asking for this advise late. However, it could be an instance where a seller would've cheated this fellow. I have come across few instances where some friends of mine, whome are well conversant with vehicles have gone and bought AWD version of some popular models. One of them have realized that he bought an AWD simply by hearing a hum sound from rear diff, days after buying the car. Some people will realize that they're using an AWD car when they're going to sell it. So this can be something like that I presume.

But how can someone miss something like a prop shaft and the diff, dont people take mechanics for inspections before buying :sad-smiley-067:

But how can someone miss something like a prop shaft and the diff, dont people take mechanics for inspections before buying :sad-smiley-067:

I know machang but this is something commonly happenning it seems. In this models (relatively new with english plates all that ) people won't peep into the under carriage looking for rust spots. If you ask my friend, he never takes a mechanic nor bother checking everything. If he's convinced that he can sell it keeping a mark up, he would just buy it.

Bugger sold the very same AWD car he unknowingly bought, keeping a 25k mark up even with educating the prospect buyer.

What is the difference between an AWD and a 4WD? is nt it the same thing?

I had posted a query with regard to the 4WD in vans and dint get a response, is it AWD or 4WD in vans which come with this option? Specially the new Nissan Caravan VWME25 and Toyota Hiace KDH205? I have seen Nissan has a seperate switch to put it on 4WD where as Toyota has a sensor.

Why does the AWD/4WD have a lesser market value than 2WD as its an added option where as the opposite for Doublecabs and Jeeps where AWD and 4WD have a better value than 2WD?

desperate people do desperate things machan i think this is one of those situation

The Pulsar isn't a half bad car. The stigma associated with it is due to the popularity of the Sunny models, but really the N and B series are parallel models.

pulsar isn't a bad car bro but a AWD pulsar is a bad car hard to find spare parts for it.

What is the difference between an AWD and a 4WD? is nt it the same thing?

I had posted a query with regard to the 4WD in vans and dint get a response, is it AWD or 4WD in vans which come with this option? Specially the new Nissan Caravan VWME25 and Toyota Hiace KDH205? I have seen Nissan has a seperate switch to put it on 4WD where as Toyota has a sensor.

Why does the AWD/4WD have a lesser market value than 2WD as its an added option where as the opposite for Doublecabs and Jeeps where AWD and 4WD have a better value than 2WD?

It's semantics really. Your average off roader with 4WD has a transfer case which has the necessary bits to provide power to all 4 wheels in two ratios (and some allow low ratio power just to the rear wheels as well). AWD is when the transfer case is bypassed in favour of a differential or torque converter in the middle, which usually require no input from the driver.

AWD is different from full time 4WD though, since a full time 4WD vehicle will still have a transfer case, but with a torque converter or limited slip differential in the middle and 2WD funtionality removed (otherwise it wouldn't be "full time" 4WD, lolz).

Again, this is all comes down to semantics since manufacturers use all kinds of jargon when describing what is essentially the same principle. If I were you, I wouldn't spend anymore time thinking about it, because really it's all the same.

Edited by terrabytetango

view ol comments CHEATED :speechless-smiley-004:

Are you saying you were cheated ? If i were you i would dump all my weekly trash in front of the sellers gate just to piss him off

Sorry for bringing up an old thread

I have been reading about 4WD and AWD systems lately. I'm little confused about center differential, I know 4WD systems in most SUVs like Fortuner/Montero Sport/Pajero have center diff lock but do AWD systems have the lock too? or is it that some AWD have and some dont?

Sorry for bringing up an old thread

I have been reading about 4WD and AWD systems lately. I'm little confused about center differential, I know 4WD systems in most SUVs like Fortuner/Montero Sport/Pajero have center diff lock but do AWD systems have the lock too? or is it that some AWD have and some dont?

The center differential will be present in most of the above setups but however locking the centre differential is a variable option from make to model. The center diff when locked provides an equal torque distribution to both the front and rear wheels, Useful when bogged down and aids traction and cornering in rally cars.

AFAIK the Fortuner lineage share the same part time 4wd setup as they are based on the pickup truck platform and internals, they do not have a centre differential, Some are factory fitted with a rear LSD or a Lockable rear differential, I'm not very sure about the Monterosport though.

Most of the newer vans are AWD rather than 4WD with a centre diff, where the front wheels engage automatically, but I've not seen the lock function though.

A bit of ignored trivia; all Defenders are AWD and come with a lockable center differential, completely mechanical almost to date and is activated by pulling the H-L shifter about 8" towards the driver, crude but effective :)

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1