• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can You Register A Vehicle Imported On A Carnet

rupasinghe

Hi all,

Does any one know if a vehicle temporary imported using a Carnet permit can be registered in Sri Lanka after paying the relevant levies??

Am I the first to seek this, or are you aware of any vehicles that were allowed to be registered, having initially been brought to Sri Lanka on a temporary carnet permit?

Hi all,

Does any one know if a vehicle temporary imported using a Carnet permit can be registered in Sri Lanka after paying the relevant levies??

Am I the first to seek this, or are you aware of any vehicles that were allowed to be registered, having initially been brought to Sri Lanka on a temporary carnet permit?

Never heard of it before :speechless-smiley-019: what kinda permit is that?

Hi all,

friend

i think you want to own a luxury vehicle at a low price, but this scheme is not meant for that

try some other legal method like blue permit, gift permit (but not sure whether they are active at the moment)

or work hard and earn some money and go for the vehicle you wish

i have heard that some people have got registration plates for their CARNET vehicles by some illegal methods

people think if they get a registration plate for an illegal vehicle, they wont be catch for ever, which is not true as each vehicle has it s own file at Sri Lanka customs,

and also there are some other ways of identifying it

• Like 1

No. And its illegal so dont expect autolankans to advice u on how to bypass laws.

friend

i think you want to own a luxury vehicle at a low price, but this scheme is not meant for that

try some other legal method like blue permit, gift permit (but not sure whether they are active at the moment)

or work hard and earn some money and go for the vehicle you wish

i have heard that some people have got registration plates for their CARNET vehicles by some illegal methods

people think if they get a registration plate for an illegal vehicle, they wont be catch for ever, which is not true as each vehicle has it s own file at Sri Lanka customs,

and also there are some other ways of identifying it

Many thanks to your replies. I think I need to clarify a few points.

First to Crosswind, no, it not illegal and that is not the advice I am looking for. I have already been offered illegal methods by various touts to do this but I am not interested in that. I have written to the Carnet issuing authority and they have given me official confirmation that they have 'no objection' to registering the vehicle here upon payment of the necessary levies.

Then to Priyanka: First and foremost, this vehicle was indeed bought with my hard earned money earned abroad and has been my loving car which is now 9 years old. It has sentimental values to me so I hate to part with it. Customs have quoted me over 4 million in taxes which I am willing pay, so this is certainly not a cheap method of obtaining a car. People are too quick to jump the gun and to assume that everyone is trying to do something illegal or use a short cut. Also, this is not a luxury car and even if it was, I would have to pay an additional luxury tax on top too.

But as Priyanka mentioned, there is apparently a large scale racket where people bring down vehicles on Carnets and get a local plate using illegal methods thereby cheating on the revenue due to the state. But I am seeking permission to PAY the relevant levies applicable and keep the vehicle and not to go through the illegal touts. But this seems to be a grey area and my application is being ball-passed from one authority to another: Customs, Import Controller, RMV etc. Yet no one has declined my request. That is why I approached this forum to find out if anyone could throw some light.

I will update the forum if I hear any news.

• Like 3

So if you knew the way to do this right why post on Autolanka asking if it can be registered? What i dont understand is if there is a way to do this right and you knew the process and also at the same time willing to pay the Tax why post something like this? you may be genuine and i respect that but just trying to understand. I too tried to find out if this could be done and i think the rules have been changed now and they are hunting down all these cars so they can be shipped back to where they came from. By the way whats the car you got?

These newbies, I think they like to type questions to which they already ave the answer for... ;)

Hey machan how do you import a BMW 520D for the permit? I already ordered one but I would like to know. Can't wait till it arrives.

These newbies, I think they like to type questions to which they already ave the answer for... ;)

So if you knew the way to do this right why post on Autolanka asking if it can be registered? What i dont understand is if there is a way to do this right and you knew the process and also at the same time willing to pay the Tax why post something like this? you may be genuine and i respect that but just trying to understand. I too tried to find out if this could be done and i think the rules have been changed now and they are hunting down all these cars so they can be shipped back to where they came from. By the way whats the car you got?

Interesting observation :) The thing is I don't really know the procedure, I am going from office to office trying to find out how to do it, and they keep 'forwarding' me. The fact that no one has declined my request and that the Carnet issuing authority has given permission makes me think it is possible. Customs kinda agreed and also calculated the duty for me but even they haven't told me yes or no. Instead, it is always "you need to forward this to ABC for approval" and then it keeps repeating sometimes going back to the original department!

This is why I posted here to find out if anyone has done this so they can guide me in the right direction. The cars that are being hunt down by Customs are the ones that have some illegality such as "the carnet holder 'gave' it to his cousin and is abroad at the moment", or the vehicle has disappeared but there is no record of it being sent back.

People keep forwarding you cos it cant be done. If it was possible this country would be infested with old cars brought down from many parts of the world and the relevant Tax paid. Money is not an issue to most importers, the only issue is the age of the vehicle etc. From the stuff i have heard its not possible to register this the legal way. I also recommend you to not get involved in trying as this can land you in serious trouble and even in Jail. you never told me what your car is ??

People keep forwarding you cos it cant be done. If it was possible this country would be infested with old cars brought down from many parts of the world and the relevant Tax paid. Money is not an issue to most importers, the only issue is the age of the vehicle etc. From the stuff i have heard its not possible to register this the legal way. I also recommend you to not get involved in trying as this can land you in serious trouble and even in Jail. you never told me what your car is ??

NZer,

I think people and forwarding me because either they don't have a backbone to endorse my request simply as 'declined', or because there is a provision for this so they can not do that but they are hiding that provision from me leaving it for me to find out. About the country being infected with cars, this would only be possible if suddenly a flood of foreigners decided to come to Sri Lanka and bring their personally owned vehicle with them as the Carnet permit is only issued to a foreigner. They then need to decided to settle down in the country permanently and take up residency here. It is only in this exceptional situation that the issuing authority at origin will grant permission. I am not sure how many people would fit in to this category, so I don't really see flood gates being opened.

NZer,

I think people and forwarding me because either they don't have a backbone to endorse my request simply as 'declined', or because there is a provision for this so they can not do that but they are hiding that provision from me leaving it for me to find out. About the country being infected with cars, this would only be possible if suddenly a flood of foreigners decided to come to Sri Lanka and bring their personally owned vehicle with them as the Carnet permit is only issued to a foreigner. They then need to decided to settle down in the country permanently and take up residency here. It is only in this exceptional situation that the issuing authority at origin will grant permission. I am not sure how many people would fit in to this category, so I don't really see flood gates being opened.

Just for entertainment argument purpose may I ask what part of 'forign land' are you from? I dont suppose you're full name is Goerge Wellington Rupasinghe or Rupasing Wu.

And further its not hard to find a loophole in the system you just described... purely based on what you said I would presume I can pay a few thousand dollars to some random foreigner who will probably never again set foot in sri lanka to agree to permanently reside in sri lanka and import his fancy car and just bugger off... i'm just saying.. loopholes are something we sri lankans know like the back of our hand and the customs know it...

Its irrelevant and that sorta thing causes people to put forward Garandi theories.

Let it go.

Personally, not a legal expert, but I think unlikely. However it got here (carnet or whatever), the law says you can't import a vehicle more than 2 years old for use on the roads (Or is it less now?)

• 4 months later...

i think they have found the way to register those CARNET vehicles..........

few examples,

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=91828

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=100214

i ve seen similar ads in hitad as well...............

i ve contacted the customs regarding that............. they said still there is no such a decision is taken and CARNET vehicles are still cannot be registered in Sri Lanka, if so then i wonder how they do this

anyway, friend if you are going to buy such a vehicle, ask for the original customs duty receipts and double check its legality

this might be another SAKVITHI like thing

where do those ads say anything about carnet? are you retarded?

just give them a call and ask, which I did

and when someone is selling an "old" vehicle as an unregistered or as recently registered, it s suspicious

Edited by priyanka

Hi Rupasinghe. This forum is worst than the officials who send you from one office to another. The forum is dominated by owners of Trad Sunnys, Corolla AE100, Civic eg8 and alike. They can't understand what advice you require and do not have the mental capacity to do so. The response you got from most is what I see here everyday. Few jobless folks (a mafia as someone called once?) living in the forum and attacking the rest. It seems that they are more interested in knowing what your vehicle is rather than even attempting to understand what you need. So it is still better to go from one office to another until you sort out the matter and then you can educate these poor soles by posting how you did it. Wish you all the best.

• Like 2

Hi Rupasinghe. This forum is worst than the officials who send you from one office to another. The forum is dominated by owners of Trad Sunnys, Corolla AE100, Civic eg8 and alike. They can't understand what advice you require and do not have the mental capacity to do so. The response you got from most is what I see here everyday. Few jobless folks (a mafia as someone called once?) living in the forum and attacking the rest. It seems that they are more interested in knowing what your vehicle is rather than even attempting to understand what you need. So it is still better to go from one office to another until you sort out the matter and then you can educate these poor soles by posting how you did it. Wish you all the best.

So who put a gun to your head and forced you to come to the forum? If you want all the (and only the) information you need, hire a car broker/consultant to help you go buy you a car. But clearly you're too much of a cheapskate to do that...

If you come here looking for free advice given by members who owe you nothing be prepared to take whatever they give you (good or bad).. we're not your mommies to love you unconditionally.

• Like 1

just give them a call and ask, which I did

and when someone is selling an "old" vehicle as an unregistered or as recently registered, it s suspicious

I think those vehicles were imported under rules which allowed vehicles of certain categories up to 5 years old to be imported. In fact one of those Monteros actually has 07 UK plates on (though they quote the manufacturing year as 2004) which means it was an early 2007 car.

Oh look, in sweeps the internet white knight on his thundering keyboard to FIGHT FOR JUSTICE!

Pardon me but when was the last time you contributed something to the forum other than snide remarks? Even on this thread I don't see you contributing in any way so why not keep out of it eh?

No one's forcing you to stay on this forum so if it's as terrible as all that what exactly are you still doing here? If we're offending your delicate sensibilities please feel free to hop on that menstrual cycle of yours and peddle your merry way out of here.

Thank you.

machang, main issue, most of the monkeys you represent do not even know how to come up with a legit question. Whose fault is that?.

BTW, what is wrong with people who drive the above mentioned cars? Do you have at least one of them to call your own? STFU and GTFO, dumbass!