• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ever Heard Bio-Diesel?

soulja

guyz i was just going through some facts about Rudolf Diesel and came across he invented the diesel engine to work on peanut oil. hence, i started googling some more further research on this. There was a Volvo which ran on vegetable oil documented on Top Gear. So any idea guyz??

guyz i was just going through some facts about Rudolf Diesel and came across he invented the diesel engine to work on peanut oil. hence, i started googling some more further research on this. There was a Volvo which ran on vegetable oil documented on Top Gear. So any idea guyz??

'soulja',

There are so many kinds of oils invented in the world but never got on the ground level if you go on surfing the web.

I think most of them were only done the experiments but like the Petrol Dieseline nothing were permanently existed so far.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Actually E85 contains 85% Ethanol, not biodiesel. Cars which run on E85 have "Flexfuel" badges on them (I used to see them regularly during my time in the states). Both biodiesel and E85 are however biofuels.

all you need it used vegetable oil, ethanol or white spirit and a good paint strainer and let it be for 3 days and start using.. maybe i'll do a segment on this with pistontorque.com on a nissan navara and a old 65- or what ever i come across. let's keep the fingers crossed :)

vegetable oil mixed with certain additives can be used to run old diesel engines. ideally non efi engines. With all the used oils collected from local restaurants its pretty easy to start a commercial project with this considering the number of crude diesels being used in the country. But then again the government would want a massive chunk of it. so forget it.

running a domestic vehicle on it is up to you. But I wouldn't take the risk. Save it for some post apocalyptic scenario

• Like 1

Ah welcome to 2012. Yes, it's been a few years since bio diesel was first created. The axis lost the war. Hitler committed suicide. We saw the rise and fall of the Soviet Union. Sri Lanka gained independence. Premadasa was blown up. Chandrika lost an eye. Al queda destroys the World trade center in New York using passenger jets. U.s. declares war on Afghanistan and Iran. Ranil finally won an election (well not presidential). Tsunami strikes the coast killing tens of thousands. Sri Lanka wins war against tigers. Sarath Fonseka Jailed. Mervyn Silva ties man to tree. Arab spring uprising brings down Mubarak and ghadaffi among others. Fonseka released.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 5

well let's hope for the best bro. i'll be initially starting this project with Ashan Silva. If it succeeds, let's work things domestically ;)

I'm pretty sure other enterprising individuals have thought of this as well. There are simply too many blocking factors, the least of which will be your local MP when he gets wind of your business. Soon everyone will start wanting a cut out of it, and you'll eventually become Shell Gas 2.0. I'm just saying.

Edited by terrabytetango

well i got all the materials i require. so i'm planning on trying it, if it succeeds, what will the government do to me?? send a white van looking for me?? :P

Listen kiddo you might think that you have everything covered based on what you read on the internet but here's one big question.

In places like the U.S. restaurants actually have to pay for the disposal of oil. Hence the reason they would gladly give anyone free used oil that can be refined for use as bio-diesel. In Sri Lanka, on the other hand, people pay to buy used oil. A pretty good price too IIRC. You may be wondering why. The reason is that used oil is refined and sent back to your closest grocery store in bulk for resale(FYI It would probably be wise to never buy "loose" oil from a grocery store and stick to a well known brand of oil when cooking but the crap that's on Sri Lankans dinner plates is a different story). So if you have to actually pay for the oil to make your bio-diesel how exactly do you intend to make a profit? I'm pretty sure that the few milliliters of oil your mom throws out everyday is not enough to keep your car running much less keep your business afloat.

Listen kiddo you might think that you have everything covered based on what you read on the internet but here's one big question.

In places like the U.S. restaurants actually have to pay for the disposal of oil. Hence the reason they would gladly give anyone free used oil that can be refined for use as bio-diesel. In Sri Lanka, on the other hand, people pay to buy used oil. A pretty good price too IIRC. You may be wondering why. The reason is that used oil is refined and sent back to your closest grocery store in bulk for resale(FYI It would probably be wise to never buy "loose" oil from a grocery store and stick to a well known brand of oil when cooking but the crap that's on Sri Lankans dinner plates is a different story). So if you have to actually pay for the oil to make your bio-diesel how exactly do you intend to make a profit? I'm pretty sure that the few milliliters of oil your mom throws out everyday is not enough to keep your car running much less keep your business afloat.

UNCLE calm down. i've already made the order for 200ltr of used vegetable oil from a well known chinese restaurant located at havelock road and it's FOC. and btw i ain't planning to sell this stuff, it's basically for experimental purpose and who knows if it works out well, i can obviously give you guyz a positive feedback on it and you guyz can start brewing your own.

Edited by soulja
  • Like 3

UNCLE calm down. i've already made the order for 200ltr of used vegetable oil from a well known chinese restaurant located at havelock road and it's FOC. and btw i ain't planning to sell this stuff, it's basically for experimental purpose and who knows if it works out well, i can obviously give you guyz a positive feedback on it and you guyz can start brewing your own.

Great job kid, You'r invention will keep the cars running even after the crude oil resources have dried up.

And please do post some pictures of you'r experiments.

Including the vehicle numbers you are testing on,

So that the good people here in autolanka could refrain from buying these vehicles with ruined engines someday. :D

Sri Lanka NERED Centre has already done a successful Bio diesel conversion project from waste cooking oil. They even have a Van running on Bio diesel at NERD Center in Ekala. A brief detail is available at http://www.nerdc.lk/en/sub_pgs/1_dept_6_renew.html. NERD Center implements a technology know how transfer system for entrepreneurs. You may contact them and get the details.

I'd love to see your filtration setup, and also please do share the recipe for the catalytic process. Also have you sourced suppliers for the alcohol and the catalyst?

Bio-fuels (like Jdnet mentioned), have been around for eons. It's just not commercially viable. Let's take a small country like Sri Lanka for example.

We consume about 50000 barrels of petrol and diesel a day. A barrel is approx 160 litres, which makes it 8 million litres a day. Where exactly do the supply come from, even to meet 1% of the above figure? And what will happen to the price of oil when the demand increases?

It's just like trying to send a man to the moon in 2012. With technology, it can be done. But what's the bloody point of it?

Two hotels in Habarana I know for fact use Bio Diesel to run all their tractors an such. Quite a saving too, especially considerin the used oil is their own...... However I doubt they have experimented on the usage of it in their other vehicles....... :)

I'd love to see your filtration setup, and also please do share the recipe for the catalytic process. Also have you sourced suppliers for the alcohol and the catalyst?

Got the super fine paint strainers and white spirit, hopefully will be receive the oil by day after. Everything is set, it's just the used oils and a matter of 3 days lacking to process it. Will update u guys on it.

Great job kid, You'r invention will keep the cars running even after the crude oil resources have dried up.

And please do post some pictures of you'r experiments.

Including the vehicle numbers you are testing on,

So that the good people here in autolanka could refrain from buying these vehicles with ruined engines someday. :D

Could you kindly tell me with what biased fact proving will ruin the engines? Don't worry bro, I'll be testing both diesel and new product in my friends lab and compare. And if it seems to lack of the required minerals, will definitely add them and bring it close the diesel equivalent value. Come on bro, just before the project, your giving me a full stop. So how will a person find something new???

Edited by soulja

Could you kindly tell me with what biased fact proving will ruin the engines? Don't worry bro, I'll be testing both diesel and new product in my friends lab and compare. And if it seems to lack of the required minerals, will definitely add them and bring it close the diesel equivalent value. Come on bro, just before the project, your giving me a full stop. So how will a person find something new???

machan i have a marvellous idea for a new invention. Its something that is so flexible, it can move anything that is connected to it, on its own. Its a circular thingamajig. I'm gonna name it.... The wheel! So dont give me a fullstop too.

:) you add minerals too...

If you don't mind can you share your age, because i also had a dream of making a rocket and travel to moon , but i was just 6 or 7 by then.

This's not to put you down, but with the facilities and the funds you have in your lab , i think you can't simply compete thousands of scientists on various car firms and oil giants.

We've seen cars run by wind, water, cow dung, and banana leaves in this country.

So welcome to group.

Have some common sense before become a scientist.

And let me guess, you're still below 20 years of age right ?

• Like 1