• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tesla Motors - Cars That Will Change The World

Californikan

World's first real-world battery range test of the Tesla Model S shows 440km of battery range on one charge

Model S battery range = 440 km /275 miles

(340km traveled with100km of range left)

Keep in mind that this test was mostly expressway driving which means little regen is going to the battery, which limits range. Stop and go driving around town will yield even more range because every time the driver lifts off the accelerator the battery gets recharged.

Tesla is currently offering a prize to the first Model S driver to exceed 650km/400 miles on a single charge.

Edited by Californikan

Motor Trend Magazine does the world's first Tesla Model S real world battery range test.

Full story >>> http://www.motortren...el_s_las_vegas/

According to the battery range test results...

Test 1 - 383 km of battery range (238 miles)

Test 2 - 428 km of battery range (275 miles)

Test 3 - 463 km of battery range (288 miles)

Tesla Model S real world average battery range = 429km (267 miles).

2012-Tesla-Model-S-front-closeup-on-highway.jpg

Edited by Californikan

I dunno about the rest of you, but when someone says "We will do a full test" it also tells me they haven't done a full test yet. Which makes Supra right, and Cali wrong. So despite accusing other people of pompous mistakes and blunders....

But then, its nothing new. Insisted people should buy hybrids coz maintenance facilities "will come". Now says test has been done coz it says test "will be done". Anyone notice a pattern here?

It never ceases to amaze me how concrete your thinking process is.

Complaining that the article did not do a battery range test when the article clearly states that they will publish a complete battery range test soon is like complaining on Monday morning that the Wednesday newspaper is not on the news stand. It just shows that you are exactly like so many of our fellows who can't think or envision a future beyond their noses, let alone a few weeks or months ahead.

And you obviously have failed to notice that Toyota, Honda, Porsche, Hybrid Motors etc have had hybrid maintenance facilities in Sri Lanka since last year.

Pardon me? Unlike certain Google Warriors here, I do not consider myself an "expert" of any sort, im just a guy who likes cars. And yes, the Article states that a full test will be conducted "Soon", aka WHEN THEY GET A VEHICLE FOR LONGER THAN 10-20 MINUTES, WHICH HAS NOT HAPPENED YET. Ergo, no one knows what the cars actual range in actual conditions will be.

Therefore, calling Tesla "cars that will change the world" rather than expensive toys for tree huggers/techies is taking poetic license a little too far.

Which was, once again, exactly what I was saying in the first place.

You really need to pay attention a bit more Cali old boy, ESPECIALLY if you're trying to argue with facts.

Didn't it occur to you that it was just a matter of time before the major car websites and magazines receive test vehicles from Tesla and do their full road and battery range tests on the Model S ? Probably not. Like Pericles, you seem to be another one of our fellows who can't think or see beyond his nose, let alone a few months or years into the future.

It would have been much smarter and wiser of you to just keep quiet until a few Model S real world range tests were published, and then commented only if the real world range fell too far below below the expected numbers.

p.s. Here's an additional little detail that you might have overlooked, so I'll point it out:

The 429km real world battery range that Motor Trend got for the Model S is almost exactly the 426km battery range that the EPA battery range test got several months ago. Yup, the very same EPA test result that you chose to ignore, even though every single carmaker selling cars in America uses it.

Edited by Californikan

Cali, I don't think that Tesla will change the world. Electric car technology is still developing and it will replace the fossil fuels as one of the alternatives. Be patience, you have caught the tail of the problem. There is about 40 years more for the mankind to consume existing crude oil reserves. your posts make others feel that Tesla is the only solution.

Other auto makers such as BMW, GM, Nissan have also ventured in to this field and what will you say if they come up with a superior model?

Most of the members here; I feel has a sense towards the future technologies and will switch to it as the time comes.

This is a public forum and you need to honour others feelings also. Flooding a thread with same type of stuff repeatedly will not help it

By change the world, I mean Tesla's electric car technology is so far ahead of all the other automakers, it's pushing other automakers to develop and sell electric cars much earlier than they would have if Tesla didn't exist.

This is one reason why both Toyota and Mercedes chose to use Tesla drivetrains, electric motors and batteries in their electric cars, rather than wait till their own technology was ready.

Motor Trend Magazine does the world's first independent Tesla Model S real world battery range test >>> http://www.motortren...el_s_las_vegas/

According to the battery range test results...

Test 1 - 238 miles / 383 km of battery range

Test 2 - 285 miles / 458 km of battery range

Test 3 - 288 miles / 463 km of battery range

Tesla Model S real world average battery range = 434km (270 miles).

Keep in mind that 434km of range is hours of continuous driving.

2012-Tesla-Model-S-front-closeup-on-highway.jpg

oi nikan.. no one cares.. SL doenst even have power to supply to houses... get lost.. dont u have friends in the states.. oh i forgot dont have a life... sorry.. forgot about that..

Wonder when Tesla will come out with a SUV/Jeep to challenge the current heavywights, specially in SL, such as the Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Montero etc??????? Till then I'll give the Tesla a miss!!!!

Really? is that the reason why u don't want to buy a tesla? Not because of the simple fact that their products are not yet available in sri lanka? or because of the minor fact that even if it was available, the CIF value would be well over $50000 which makes it close to the price of a jaguar xf than that of your average toyota?

Really? is that the reason why u don't want to buy a tesla? Not because of the simple fact that their products are not yet available in sri lanka? or because of the minor fact that even if it was available, the CIF value would be well over $50000 which makes it close to the price of a jaguar xf than that of your average toyota?

Teslas can handle the tarmac but do you think these current Teslas will be able to tackle roads in our national parks which I frequently do and that includes river crossings as well. So even if these current Tesla models were available in SL I wouldn't be attracted at all. The vehicle that would attract me is a "go anywhere vehicle" capable of taking me to work in the city and capable of taking me on adventures to the remote interiors of Sri Lanka ie SUV/Jeeps which offer luxury and comfort on road while also offering ruggedness off road which I reckon the current Teslas will not be able to do at all!

For that matter even a Jaguar XF which you have mentioned wouldn't do for me leave aside the "average toyota". So till Tesla comes out with a SUV/Jeep I'll give the Teslas a miss.

For anyone concerned about the CIF value and running cost of a vehicle the best option is the Tata Nano!!!

Edited by Magnum357

Next year, 2013, this goes into production.....

Tesla_Model_X.jpg

ModelX_promo_610x459.JPG

Does it have a ground clearence of at least 215mm, and what type of 4WD system does it offer ie AWD/ Full time, High /Low range ratios or something much more advanced?????

The Model X seems more a "tarmac SUV" rather than a serious off-roader SUV. Looking at the tyres I see they are low profiles which suggests the X Model is not designed for off-road activity. True off road performance of the Model X is anyones guess!!

If the Model X can claim a slot for off roading amongst Land Rover, Land Cruiser and Montero etc then I'll definitely be looking at the Model X. Not otherwise.

It will be interesting to note what Jeremy Clerkson and popular 4WD magazines will say about the X Model.

Edited by Magnum357

Does it have a ground clearence of at least 215mm, and what type of 4WD system does it offer ie AWD/ Full time, High /Low range ratios or something much more advanced?????

The Model X seems more a "tarmac SUV" rather than a serious off-roader SUV. Looking at the tyres I see they are low profiles which suggests the X Model is not designed for off-road activity. True off road performance of the Model X is anyones guess!!

If the Model X can claim a slot for off roading amongst Land Rover, Land Cruiser and Montero etc then I'll definitely be looking at the Model X. Not otherwise.

It will be interesting to note what Jeremy Clerkson and popular 4WD magazines will say about the X Model.

You my friend, are completely missing the point. Don`t think a company like Tesla would ever intend to build a proper 4X4. Saw the slogan "Utility meets performance.."? This is a utility vehicle for American daddy's to buy to keep the mommy's happy. Let`s just keep it at that and let Tesla + Cali do their thing..

Sri Lanka is a negative carbon country. Our GHG emission is very low compared to US, EU, Japan or any other industrial country. There fore at the moment it is not the right time for our economy to take a 90 degree turn and go for low/Zero emission systems/vehicles. It is not required to give much weight to promote these high end, high cost technologies but the need is there to promote methods and systems that common mass can have affordable and efficient means of transport.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that this test was mostly expressway driving which means little regen is going to the battery, which limits range. Stop and go driving around town will yield even more range because every time the driver lifts off the accelerator the battery gets recharged.

Are you sure? More or less constant speed on expressway will result in less power consumption. Regenerator is to recover a part of the energy loss but there is still a net energy loss.

Cali, If you really really MUST have an electric car in Sri Lanka why not the Chevy Volt? IMO its much better than the Tesla because it can do about 40miles on just the battery and once you run outta juice you can use the tiny 1.4l petrol engine to recharge the battery. Unlike the Prius the wheels are powered by the electric motor at all times.

And it whats more its avaliable in RHD because they sell it as the Vauxhall/Opel Ampera in UK/Europe. And because we have 230V here instead of 110V in the States, you can charge the battery in half the time!

And its cheap! I just saw today on a website. You can have one for $159 a month WITHOUT a down payment! (Because of slow sales, and going green and buying a Prius is something like a fashion statement in the US)

Oh and BTW please check out Top Gear Series 17, Episode 6 where Jezza and May test the Leaf and an electric Peugeot in REAL LIFE.

Cheers :)

I guess you don't know about any etc chaps then? And I'm sure when one of the thousands of prius on the road breaks down, the owner will think, "Porsche has a hybrid maintenance facility, I'll take it there" :rolleyes:

I think he meant "etcetera" by "etc"

It never ceases to amaze me how concrete your thinking process is.

Complaining that the article did not do a battery range test when the article clearly states that they will publish a complete battery range test soon is like complaining on Monday morning that the Wednesday newspaper is not on the news stand. It just shows that you are exactly like so many of our fellows who can't think or envision a future beyond their noses, let alone a few weeks or months ahead.

And you obviously have failed to notice that Toyota, Honda, Porsche, Hybrid Motors etc have had hybrid maintenance facilities in Sri Lanka since last year.

Who is the etc?

You don't say? Why don't you take a look at the original question which references Nikan's quote?

Yep. I read it, I guess he just meant that by "etc"

Didn't it occur to you that it was just a matter of time before the major car websites and magazines receive test vehicles from Tesla and do their full road and battery range tests on the Model S ? Probably not. Like Pericles, you seem to be another one of our fellows who can't think or see beyond his nose, let alone a few months or years into the future.

It would have been much smarter and wiser of you to just keep quiet until a few Model S real world range tests were published, and then commented only if the real world range fell too far below below the expected numbers.

p.s. Here's an additional little detail that you might have overlooked, so I'll point it out:

The 429km real world battery range that Motor Trend got for the Model S is almost exactly the 426km battery range that the EPA battery range test got several months ago. Yup, the very same EPA test result that you chose to ignore, even though every single carmaker selling cars in America uses it.

The whole point of my original post was that calling the model S a car that would "change the world" is a bit premature, especially considering the fact that no one had been allowed to test it yet (at that point).. What exactly about that was so hard to comprehend, Nikan? Instead of actually realizing that there was a point, you got your knickers in a twist... what for?

The subsequent posts pointed out that I'd reserve my opinion till an independent source had tested the car and confirmed the claims, which you again seemed to take offense with for some reason... Which led to another.. err.. "debate". You then posted a track test and crowed, which i pointed out was still not enough,,, at which you got all worked up again... Notice a pattern here?

Now that someone has been allowed to finally test the thing, I can honestly say, good for Tesla, they appear to have delivered on what they promised...

It'll be interesting to see how the cars do in long term tests and real world usage...

Also, its still too early to say that these cars "will change the world", remember the General Motors EV1? Fanbois like you existed back then too....

• Like 1

Supra, the whole point of your original post and what started this 'debate' was when you (incorrectly) wrote that Tesla got their range calculations wrong......

Dear me, they haven't even started delivering the thing yet, and already it looks as though Tesla has gotten it's range calculations rather seriously wrong....

http://www.thetrutha...-for-test-cars/

Sure, Tesla will change the world..... :rolleyes:

But it's good that now you understand that Tesla's range estimate was accurate.

And by 'change the world' , I mean Tesla's electric car technology is so far ahead, it's is pushing the other carmakers to build and put their own electric cars on the road much sooner than if Tesla didn't exist. Example: The original 2008 Tesla Roadster is credited with spurring GM to build the Volt and Nissan to build the Leaf.

Elon Musk has said many times that even if the major automakers start selling their own electric cars that are competitive with Tesla and eventually drive Tesla out of business, he will still be happy because it was Tesla that pushed the entire car industry to transition much more quickly from fossil fuel to electric cars.

Edited by Californikan