• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil

kmcsb

I need to change my engine oil to my eg8..whn i refer user manual its says use 5w-30..but unfortnatly i filed with 15w-40 last time..thn i felt more hesinations and low fuel efficency,hard to start morning.. Whn i refer net it was by wrong oil..becuse tht was my first service tht ive bought.so i dnt had tht knowledge anut it..tht one offered me from service station as well..

So fiends whn i change oil do i need to do flush as well..also is it bad to use high grade oil besides in the manual..so is mobil 5w-30 avabile in srilanka..and hw much 4L willbe?

Dude,

5W-30 Mobile is available in Pachikawatta. It's Rs. 8000 for 5L can

I can't excatly remember the shop name, it's a shop on left hand side (same side as Tower hall) and after 20 shops from tower hall, exact middle kind of position.

(near to samarasinghe windescreen)

Actually couple of shops had the same oil

Just walk and check

I need to change my engine oil to my eg8..whn i refer user manual its says use 5w-30..but unfortnatly i filed with 15w-40 last time..thn i felt more hesinations and low fuel efficency,hard to start morning.. Whn i refer net it was by wrong oil..becuse tht was my first service tht ive bought.so i dnt had tht knowledge anut it..tht one offered me from service station as well..

So fiends whn i change oil do i need to do flush as well..also is it bad to use high grade oil besides in the manual..so is mobil 5w-30 avabile in srilanka..and hw much 4L willbe?

Somehow I find it hard to believe your problems stem from using the wrong type of oil....

• Like 1

Somehow I find it hard to believe your problems stem from using the wrong type of oil....

I too do not believe that kmcsb's problems associated with the oil you used, EG8 is a fairly old car ,15W-40 oil

would be sufficient (besides ambient temperatures of Sri Lanka)

Edited by Rohnd

yes i know ..but my car park @outside and in the moring its hard to startup...whn i reserch net it says beacus of using thick oils...if thin lkie 5w can heat the engine quickly..,..i refer the net lot and finally get tht informations..and also 5w ones are more fuel efficency whn using for cars...

i think tht's why hybrid cars recomnd it,,

Edited by kmcsb

The troubles in starting up could be many things other than the engine oils.15w 40 is perfect for Sri Lankan conditions.Yes even hybrid cars use it.Stop being paranoid about engine oils.Hell I'm using Delvac MX multigrade in 2 cars,Yes you heard right,Diesel oil in a petrol car!

yes i know ..but my car park @outside and in the moring its hard to startup...whn i reserch net it says beacus of using thick oils...if thin lkie 5w can heat the engine quickly..,..i refer the net lot and finally get tht informations..and also 5w ones are more fuel efficency whn using for cars...

i think tht's why hybrid cars recomnd it,,

Thinner oil flows better, but it also flows through tinier gaps and provide less protection. So for older engines people switch to a slightly thicker oil so 10W40 is perfectly fine for your car. In fact most cars recommend 10W30 or 5W30 (or for that matter 0W30) but generally speaking going up a level does not affect performance significantly, unless you have other issues with your oil lines like blockages and sludge.

• 1 month later...

I use Caltex Havoline 15w-40 and it's working pretty fine.

Mine is past 100k, so 40 is fine for that old engine (I think yours should be equivalent to mine in mileage), and 15w (viscosity) has no difference in tropical countries.

Of course you can put 10,5,0 or whatever the W, but their price is high. Havoline a 4L can is only 2900/=.

My new Forester was running on 10W 60 as per the previous owner. Checked the manual and switched to 20W50 Castrol GTX today. Will know a few days time if it was the right choice... :)

I have been using the 20 50 gtx for the past six oil changes. You will be fine. Never noticed anything out of the ordinary. BTW if your engine takes more than 4 liters you should just keep an extra 4l can with you instead of buying singles. They are a major rip off.

I have been using the 20 50 gtx for the past six oil changes. You will be fine. Never noticed anything out of the ordinary. BTW if your engine takes more than 4 liters you should just keep an extra 4l can with you instead of buying singles. They are a major rip off.

Well, PitStop has the 20w50GTX on tap. So they put in only hat was needed. If the levels drops I will take small can and top it up from there.

Yeah, 20w50 suits local conditions as the temp never drops beyong 25 here anyway, so i don't see why we need to pour in 0,5 or even 10 in to the crankcases.

Well, PitStop has the 20w50GTX on tap. So they put in only hat was needed. If the levels drops I will take small can and top it up from there.

Yeah, 20w50 suits local conditions as the temp never drops beyong 25 here anyway, so i don't see why we need to pour in 0,5 or even 10 in to the crankcases.

Wait you take your car to pitstop? Isn't there a new fully equipped garage in the wattala area? You could get the oil changed in exchange for a beer :) I hear they have a state-of-the-art vacuum cleaner too....

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 1

Wait you take your car to pitstop? Isn't there a new fully equipped garage in the wattala area? You could get the oil changed in exchange for a beer :) I hear they have a state-of-the-art vacuum cleaner too....

he is busy these days... :) Garage has a lot of work.

he is busy these days... :) Garage has a lot of work.

yep. mother of all diy project is about to start off :) thinking of doing up me xr at home :)

it needs a new rear shock, some frame work, new paint, engine top end rebuild etc etc...

going through the workshop manual to see whether i can all the tools to get the job done. never done any major engine work before

• 4 months later...
Use 10W 30 instead. I use the same for my EK. I used to put 15W 40 but one of my friend changed my mind to use 10W. :rolleyes:

machan what about ur milage???? and hw much 4L can...and brand....hav u noticed any performance after swich into tht...mine 150,000kms passed...will it be ok to switch???

machan what about ur milage???? and hw much 4L can...and brand....hav u noticed any performance after swich into tht...mine 150,000kms passed...will it be ok to switch???

Stick to 10W40 or 15W40 for a car of that sort of mileage in Sri Lanka. Most manuals specify 0-15W30 for most cars but in Sri Lanka we tend to use 40 or 50 oils for our cars as cars get older.

I went to Klean Park yesterday and they pumped my car with 3L of ""Mobil" engine oil. Mine is a toyota vitz. Can somebody tell me about the quality of this particular oil.They say the viscosity of this oil is bit high... And my car was driven 49000Km + . They say that its good for bit driven wornout cars like that.

My transmission (ATF) was also replaced with Toyota CVT oil. They cost me 12,000 for 4L. And they did it manually. They said that machine pumping is not good for the valves and its not recommended from the Toyota company.

Please somebody advice regarding this issues.

Thank you

I went to Klean Park yesterday and they pumped my car with 3L of ""Mobil" engine oil. Mine is a toyota vitz. Can somebody tell me about the quality of this particular oil.They say the viscosity of this oil is bit high... And my car was driven 49000Km + . They say that its good for bit driven wornout cars like that.

My transmission (ATF) was also replaced with Toyota CVT oil. They cost me 12,000 for 4L. And they did it manually. They said that machine pumping is not good for the valves and its not recommended from the Toyota company.

Please somebody advice regarding this issues.

Thank you

1. Mobil is a good brand, but you also have to pay attention to the oil viscosity or thickness / consistency of the oil used. As you can see above from some of the posts on this thread the same brand of oil can be bought in different viscosities such as 10w-40 / 5w-30 etc. The higher the numbers are the thicker it is.

2. People do tend to increase the viscosity of the oil they use as the engine ages, but at 49,000Km your engine probably isn't really worn to the extent that would justify it (for cars under 100,000km I would just stick to the manufacturer specified oil viscosity as per the car owner's manual)

3. I don't think you need to replace CVT fluid at 49,000km-That seems a tad early, but there's no harm in doing so if you don't mind the expense; especially as its a good way to ensure that your transmission stays in good order. When changing ATF its important that you use the right viscosity (and a compatible brand) when changing your AT fluid. As you got your AT fluid changed at a pretty well-known place I'm assuming they got it right; but its always good to double check that type of thing yourself as well.

Edited by Kavvz

Guys! What is the normal procedure for changing gear oils (Manual) ? Is it necessary to flush out all ? Drain all and refill just as engine oil replacement ? What is the normal changing interval ?

My car (FB13 Manual) has done nearly 150K Kms so what should be the viscosity of the oil ? ( I don't have service manual btw)

Edited by NRX

Guys! What is the normal procedure for changing gear oils (Manual) ? Is it necessary to flush out all ? Drain all and refill just as engine oil replacement ? What is the normal changing interval ?

My car (FB13 Manual) has done nearly 150K Kms so what should be the viscosity of the oil ? ( I don't have service manual btw)

What kind of car do you have? Why not just google the owner's manual up?

Edited by Kavvz