• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sudden Engine Stall/miss And Difficuilt To Start.

MkX

Question

Guys need help with my Honda - EK3.

After work I start the car as usual, and drove about 5mins to pick a friend. Stopped the car about 10mins and try to start again, but couldn’t. Engine start but as soon as key come to on position it stops (not the crank sound, but engine start and stops)

After several attempts and pushing accelerator pedal during the start, I manage to start it. However when I drive as soon as engine comes to idle it stopped couple of times. And in 2nd or 3rd attempt it start in traffic.

Today morning I faced the same issue. Couldn’t start for about 10-15 attempts. After starting the engine I came to work as usual. Engine didn’t stop in traffic or in idle.

3M tune up is done about year ago.

New air filter fixed about 3 weeks ago.

Petrol filter is 2 years old. Car is with me for 3 years and never changed spark plugs since I didn’t had any problems so far.

Noticed little bit of oxidization in (+) terminal today morning and cleaned with hot water.

Any suggestions where to start?

4 answers to this question

I had same kind of issue with a Allion.it was completely random some times runs all fine but some times engine stops as soon as i start...had no issue in high speeds but in traffics it was a headache. ..but finally my mechanic said it got to me the fuel filter located inside the fuel tank and mechanic showed me all the gunk in the old filter which surprised me about the quality of sri lankan fuel.replaced with a genuine fuel pump filter & Now there is no trouble at all...

1.But as u said u got no idle issues as i did so before going for any other repairs try to jump start thinking ur battery is dead...if it starts without any trouble u can make sure it was a issue with ur battery(u can check if ur battery voltage too, it got to be over 12.5 to assume its healthy to start).may be battery is fine but faulty alternator...but if you still find it difficult then you can go for more deeper diagnosis...

2. some vehicles got clutch switch/brake switch which completes the ignition circuitry to let the vehicle to start (in the vehicles where u need to press clutch/brake when u ignite) some times when those switches get faulty starting issues are present

3.I have some times seen mechanics hammer tap the started when there is no turning over but clicking and it some times simply works like a charm so u can check for that too

so hope those would be useful to diagnose ur issues...

I had same kind of issue with a Allion.it was completely random some times runs all fine but some times engine stops as soon as i start...had no issue in high speeds but in traffics it was a headache. ..but finally my mechanic said it got to me the fuel filter located inside the fuel tank and mechanic showed me all the gunk in the old filter which surprised me about the quality of sri lankan fuel.replaced with a genuine fuel pump filter & Now there is no trouble at all...

1.But as u said u got no idle issues as i did so before going for any other repairs try to jump start thinking ur battery is dead...if it starts without any trouble u can make sure it was a issue with ur battery(u can check if ur battery voltage too, it got to be over 12.5 to assume its healthy to start).may be battery is fine but faulty alternator...but if you still find it difficult then you can go for more deeper diagnosis...

2. some vehicles got clutch switch/brake switch which completes the ignition circuitry to let the vehicle to start (in the vehicles where u need to press clutch/brake when u ignite) some times when those switches get faulty starting issues are present

3.I have some times seen mechanics hammer tap the started when there is no turning over but clicking and it some times simply works like a charm so u can check for that too

so hope those would be useful to diagnose ur issues...

In all your cases you have assumed that OP's starter motor doesn't run. But it does... it's just that the car stops as soon as the engine starts running. So apart from the fuel filter, the points 1, 2 and 3 do are not actually valid in this situation.

To me it sounds like a fuel block as well. So +1 for cleaning/replacing it.