• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

I got it done from dialog for free. They have a smaller cutting device like a stapler machine and it took less than minute. But if you have a bit older sim, you may have to change to a newer one. I had a dialog post paid sim issued good 5-6 years back and they said those type of sims cannot be converted to microsim by cutting. So they copied my older sim to a new one and gave it to me after cutting it.

Yeah, those cutters are like $2-3 if u buy online..not worth buying for just one or 2 sim cuttings... should goto a phone shop n see.... but then i also got a paper template to cut it manually. but my bigger concern is messing up the sim itself...

Phone shops usually charge Rs.50 or Rs.100 but if you know the person they'll do it for free

Yeah, those cutters are like $2-3 if u buy online..not worth buying for just one or 2 sim cuttings... should goto a phone shop n see.... but then i also got a paper template to cut it manually. but my bigger concern is messing up the sim itself...

Machan make sure your sim is compatible to undergo this size change. What I understood was, not all the sims compatible to undergo the change and according to Dialog there older sims are not.

Well, after a successful trial on a old sim, I decided to go ahead and just do it. Thought of sharing the simple process in case anyone else was wondering.

Like HC, said the key is to seeing if its compatible, though my current sim (green) is, my Dialog sim which was issued about 7-8 years ago has a very different contact area which gets in the way of the trimming.

simcut.jpg

PS: Sorry about the page orientation guys, cant seem to get a link to a flipped version of the image.

Edited by Watchman

Well, after a successful trial on a old sim, I decided to go ahead and just do it. Thought of sharing the simple process in case anyone else was wondering.

Like HC, said the key is to seeing if its compatible, though my current sim (green) is, my Dialog sim which was issued about 7-8 years ago has a very different contact area which gets in the way of the trimming.

PS: Sorry about the page orientation guys, cant seem to get a link to a flipped version of the image.

Neat! Thanks for sharing.

Found the conversion template PDF online and sharing it here:

http://www.thechinacellphone.com/micro_sim_template.pdf

For corporate users Dialog will deliver the micro SIM to office for free and activate it when you call them. But as H.C. said, I think they too use a cutter, as mine was out of the enclosing plastic when I got it.

Btw, the new Samsung line of Windows 8 and RT devices - phone, tab and notebook pc - should be out by the last week of the year?

Wonder how the AtivS would compete against SIII and then in maybe six months against the SIV

For corporate users Dialog will deliver the micro SIM to office for free and activate it when you call them. But as H.C. said, I think they too use a cutter, as mine was out of the enclosing plastic when I got it.

Btw, the new Samsung line of Windows 8 and RT devices - phone, tab and notebook pc - should be out by the last week of the year?

Wonder how the AtivS would compete against SIII and then in maybe six months against the SIV

Wait so for my office sim i can get a micro sim FOC even though its not registered to my name ?

Wait so for my office sim i can get a micro sim FOC even though its not registered to my name ?

If its a compatible SIM,i think you can convert it into micro by cutting it. But if you have a older SIM, you need to go through the process of ownership transfer then getting a new sim by paying 500Rs and it takes about 2-3 days.(Dialog)

If its a compatible SIM,i think you can convert it into micro by cutting it. But if you have a older SIM, you need to go through the process of ownership transfer then getting a new sim by paying 500Rs and it takes about 2-3 days.(Dialog)

long time back (year or two) I did the ownership transfer FOC. Although they said the outstanding had to be paid, they didn't really bother about it. Later on got a replacement sim FOC since the old one was damaged.

Sorry, I'm not sure about this - my connection is registered to my name c/o the company. Obviously the company pays the bill but they (Dialog) never asked about ownership when I called the corp hotline - 777887887.

• 3 weeks later...

forgot to update u guys.

Went to a Dialog shop, they said that though the sim is old they can try using the cutting machine to see if it works. and if it doesnt, they'll replace it with a newer sim (same number) FOC and cut that into shape. They used the machine, chopped it up, and it worked despite parts of the metal contact being chopped off.

The girl there was a bit surprised to hear that I had cut my other sim with a simple paper template and box cutter.

forgot to update u guys.

Went to a Dialog shop, they said that though the sim is old they can try using the cutting machine to see if it works. and if it doesnt, they'll replace it with a newer sim (same number) FOC and cut that into shape. They used the machine, chopped it up, and it worked despite parts of the metal contact being chopped off.

The girl there was a bit surprised to hear that I had cut my other sim with a simple paper template and box cutter.

Which Dia**g outlet did you go to? I've had to change my SIM twice in the last 2 years from regular to micro and then micro to nano and in the first instance my old SIM was one of those that could not be cut and I went to the Dia**g outlet at Odel and the guy their promptly changed it FOC to a micro SIM since I had been with the network for more than 8 years. I went for a iPhone 5 last month and since it uses a nano SIM, the guy at the shop did have the cutting tool and was able to cut my micro SIM to nano SIM, however the cutting tool does not make a perfect cut and some manual shaving of the edges was required for the sim to fit properly in the SIM tray and the cutting tool had also shaved off part of the metal contact on one edge. Although cut SIM did work, the guy at the shop suggested that I get it changed since it might give trouble in the future and I went to the Dia**g outlet at WTC a couple of days later and they actually had the nano SIMs available, although this time they charged me 100 bucks for the SIM change.

Edited by leyland

If you are going for an Android phone this year, Xperia Z is what you should go for

Eagerly looking forward to it's arrival. Looks like waterproof phone designs are the way to go! I however, had a very bad experience buying the Satio from Sony Ericsson......It was the last symbian phone developed by S/E, and they immediately stopped providing software updates. So the buyers were left with a dinosaur of a phone......... :sad-smiley-066:

Eagerly looking forward to it's arrival. Looks like waterproof phone designs are the way to go! I however, had a very bad experience buying the Satio from Sony Ericsson......It was the last symbian phone developed by S/E, and they immediately stopped providing software updates. So the buyers were left with a dinosaur of a phone......... :sad-smiley-066:

But it has an amazing camera :smilie_liebe9:

Edit: now its just Sony, no more Ericsson :D

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

But it has an amazing camera :smilie_liebe9:

Edit: now its just Sony, no more Ericsson :D

I bought it purely because of the camera. In fact, all of my cameraphone purchases have been based on the quality of the camera. I'm still holding on to it purely because there does not exist any modern smartphone with a xenon flash....(other than Nokia Pureview, of course - which is also symbian powered). However, I must say that the build quality of the Satio is very good. I'm definitely not a careful user of phones, and it has held up very well for 3 whole years!

• Like 1

I bought it purely because of the camera. In fact, all of my cameraphone purchases have been based on the quality of the camera. I'm still holding on to it purely because there does not exist any modern smartphone with a xenon flash....(other than Nokia Pureview, of course - which is also symbian powered). However, I must say that the build quality of the Satio is very good. I'm definitely not a careful user of phones, and it has held up very well for 3 whole years!

True story Satio is one of those phones for low price with an amazing camera, works like a digital camera

Xperia Z is just the tip of the iceberg bro. There will probably be some more game changing technology this year.

But yeah, whatever goes to market 1st wins part of the race ...

Xperia Z is just the tip of the iceberg bro. There will probably be some more game changing technology this year.

But yeah, whatever goes to market 1st wins part of the race ...

Rumor has it that in the light of less than stellar sales of the i5, Apple is considering a cheaper version of the iPhone to grab more market share.

Despite how wonderful the Xperia Z looks on paper (Full HD screen, water and dust proof), I didn't notice any innovative features built into it, even compared to last year's SIII. All in all, I doubt if it'll have a measurable impact on the sales of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S (IV?) and the iPhone (6?).

Rumor has it that in the light of less than stellar sales of the i5, Apple is considering a cheaper version of the iPhone to grab more market share.

Despite how wonderful the Xperia Z looks on paper (Full HD screen, water and dust proof), I didn't notice any innovative features built into it, even compared to last year's SIII. All in all, I doubt if it'll have a measurable impact on the sales of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S (IV?) and the iPhone (6?).

yes there was a rumor but Apple confirmed they'll stick to only high end phones cuz it seems even if there sales are low their profits are high it seems. Well of course it'll be hard for Sony to beat Sammy's sales but that doesnt mean their phones are bad, actually last year the Xperia Ion was quite good compared to SIII. i have tried an SIII trust me it isnt very different from SII with JB update