• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Number Plate Location At Front Bumper- Legal Side!

H.C

Question

Guys,

I need your input regarding the legal side of the issue when paste the number plate other than centre of the front bumper. Last night i was stoped at Galanigama enterance,may be due to above fault or they just saw it during a random check. They let me go after few questions and said "mekata naduwak thiyanawa". Ive seen several vehicles like caravans,buddy vans some leyland buses with number plates mounted in one side . Honestly if its not right, i need to rectify it. so need your help on this.

Thanks in advance,

HC.

12 answers to this question

I have to agree with the others. The police fellows might have been trying to rip you off. Like terra said, some vehicles have the number plate mounting brackets towards the left or right side of the bumper. The Delica T120 we had ages ago had both the front and rear number plate mounts on the driver's side.

Edited by Davy

The next time a policemen gives you some b.s. like that, ask him to cite the exact law that he is referring to and unless he does, you will take action against him. Hasn't failed me yet. The majority of police officers on the roads these days are pretty retarded to begin with and do not understand the concept of a law. They basicallywrite people up on what they think might be illegal.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for ur input. Infact i asked the question that there are vehicles with side mounted num plates and what was the situation with them and chap just ignored the question and said 'MEKATA NADUWAK THIYANAWA". Infact i bought num plate hole block off clips from ebay paying 18$,so its really hard to go back to old plates!.May be cross in my windscreen saved me that day and need to go prepared when going through highway next time.

Edited by H.C

This was at the Highway exit was it? I was almost stopped there for not having the number plate on the front bumper due to painting, but merely pointed to the plate being inside on the dash, and they accepted it and let me go...

I was looking around some of the US forums, and it seems that mounting the number plates anywhere other than the stock mounting position is illegal. This maybe the case here as well. So if your car came with an offset mount position from the factory, you're good, but if you've moved it to a side to make room for an intercooler or something then you might have an issue with the cops. This is just speculation of course.

Thanks guys for ur input. Infact i asked the question that there are vehicles with side mounted num plates and what was the situation with them and chap just ignored the question and said 'MEKATA NADUWAK THIYANAWA". Infact i bought num plate hole block off clips from ebay paying 18$,so its really hard to go back to old plates!.May be cross in my windscreen saved me that day and need to go prepared when going through highway next time.

Perhaps when you are put in such a situation, you should ask them to refer to the gazette notification or the act of Parliament where this rule is codified, so that you may educate yourself ;) You can call them on the bluff of BS because I'm sure some cops stop you for silly things to get a bribe.

This was at the Highway exit was it? I was almost stopped there for not having the number plate on the front bumper due to painting, but merely pointed to the plate being inside on the dash, and they accepted it and let me go...

This is at Galanigama entrance. I think all the places you get this same highway cops. One cop asked "mahattaya paint karannada enne and i said ow! ow!, :D and end of the case!