• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cheaper Using Your Car Than Metered Taxi Save, Save Save!!!

MoneyMaker

Monthly commute is around (Avg 30km/day)- 900km/month

Average Km's per litre- 8km/litre

In Monetary value is 900/8*160(Avg Petrol/Diesel)- Rs. 18,000/-

This amount is average amonst most vehicle users in Colombo.

If this same commute is considered using a Taxi (Metered Taxi<Nano>+ Metered Three wheeler)

Average price per km in a three wheeler- Rs. 50/-

Monthly communte is around (Avg 30km/day)- 900km/month

In Monetary value (900km*50)- Rs. 45000/-

The montetary difference between the 2 options- Rs. 27,000/-

Its much cheaper for you to use your car for your daily commute than using a taxi even after you consider the wear and tear of the vehicle + depreciation cost of a vehicle is very low in Sri Lanka (Bus commute not considered). Only benifit is "CONVINIANCE"

Profit Margin for a Taxi (Metered Taxi+ Metered Three wheeler)

On average Metered Taxi(Nano)+Metered Three wheeler's effeciency- 18km/l(22km/l is estimated but 18Km is avg considering traffic)

Therefore the cost per km 149/18- Rs. 8.30/Km

Customer is charged per Km- Rs 50/-

Profit per Km (Metered Taxi+ Metered Three wheeler)- 41.70/- (502% Profit)

Just so that you know using a matered taxi or three wheeler is not cheap and REMMEMBER FOR EVERY KM Taxi's ARE MAKING 42/- /Km PROFIT

Remember this!!!

Note: Initial cost of vehicle and bus transport not considered in this analysis

Edited by MoneyMaker

This is good, but there is another couple of costs-

Servicing - filters, oil, soap for windshield washer, coolant, etc

Insurance (Might not be huge for 3rd party)

Other consumables - Tires, brake pads, belts, plugs, shocks etc

And this is on a vehicle we assume is operating normally, without extra repairs.

I'm not going to do calculations, but even if it is still worth going by car, it will lower the margins considerably than a simple fuel analysis, no?

This is good, but there is another couple of costs-

Servicing - filters, oil, soap for windshield washer, coolant, etc

Insurance (Might not be huge for 3rd party)

Other consumables - Tires, brake pads, belts, plugs, shocks etc

And this is on a vehicle we assume is operating normally, without extra repairs.

I'm not going to do calculations, but even if it is still worth going by car, it will lower the margins considerably than a simple fuel analysis, no?

This analysis only based on running cost (A to B), expenses may vary from vehicle to vehicle..

Bit of a retarded comparison I think this is.

Fine you can do a per-km or per-day cost analysis; But:

Can you quantify the hassle of waiting for a three-wheeler on a sunny dusty roadside?

Can you value the convenience of not having to walk to the top of the road on a rainy day to catch a taxi on a day its pouring cats n dogs?

Or not restricting your outings at night because its harder to catch a taxi in the night etc etc.

So I think its more a personal prefernce than just a ruppes and cents issue.

• Like 3

This analysis only based on running cost (A to B), expenses may vary from vehicle to vehicle..

Running cost has to take into account tire wear, brake pads, etc. Those things aren't free. Even if we do forget about servicing and insurance for the sake of argument.

Bit of a retarded comparison I think this is.

Fine you can do a per-km or per-day cost analysis; But:

Can you quantify the hassle of waiting for a three-wheeler on a sunny dusty roadside?

Can you value the convenience of not having to walk to the top of the road on a rainy day to catch a taxi on a day its pouring cats n dogs?

Or not restricting your outings at night because its harder to catch a taxi in the night etc etc.

So I think its more a personal prefernce than just a ruppes and cents issue.

Finding a taxi is very easy if you live in Colombo, Kandy, Galle. In regard to the waiting period if you do have a mobile phone which many people do now adays you should be able to call a Nano taxi or a Meter 3 wheeler.

Edited by MoneyMaker

Running cost has to take into account tire wear, brake pads, etc. Those things aren't free. Even if we do forget about servicing and insurance for the sake of argument.

In regard to the running cost based on the above mentioned numbers if you are saving 27K for the specified period of Km's thats a total of (27*12) 324,000/- a year. You will have more money to spear after deducting your running cost such as insurence, tyre wear n tear, brake pads, engine mounts etc...

Finding a parking spot where I work right now is a nightmare, so although as per your analysis its cheaper to travel in your own vehicle, sometimes people use taxi / 3 wheeler just to go to a place to avoid the hassle of finding a decent parking spot which of cause u cannot measure by numbers , isn’t it?

• Like 1

Since you brought this up,

average km cost is 35/- for metered 3wheel (only 1st km is 50/-)

For my car the average fuel cost is around 18/- per km. But when I approximately add the services done, lubricants, brake pads and all that, even apportion the insurance cost, it comes to around approximately 25/- per km.

So, Yes it is cheaper.

But did it occur to you that we have to spend money to buy a car or even pay the lease? :)

Do you know that if we deposit the money in the bank and get the interest that would more than cover our travel cost? :)

• Like 1

Finding a taxi is very easy if you live in Colombo, Kandy, Galle. In regard to the waiting period if you do have a mobile phone which many people do now adays you should be able to call a Nano taxi or a Meter 3 wheeler.

Not true, specially during peak periods and traffic periods. For example, once I got dropped off part way home after a function, coz the guy who gave me a lift had to go somewhere else. So got down half way, and the whole process of calling different companies and actually getting a vehicle to where I was took over 45 mins. And it was raining. And I was expecting the thing to come soon so I was standing outside and waiting. With my camera bag, which anyone who has seen it will tell you, is bloody huge and heavy.

come on man, my car is a mobile home ,which has everything where a single man need.

And it has PRIVACY where you can't have in a three wheeler.you can sleep,

yawn, fart or sing .

:) Has 2 bottles of Red labels in case of an emergency, :)

mind you, we all are not moneymakers, being cheap is not the life mate, be what you are, do what you feel it is.

Theme of life is not saving the money but enjoying it.

I've seen this type of posts in stock trading forums(which is most boring subject on earth for me ), what i've to say is, i do LMAO at those tasteless bandas,

i mean, come on. Shut down your directFN /Cedax, find a dark corner of your room , and think how stupid it's to bank the money and use threewheel.

i mean, come on. Shut down your directFN /Cedax, find a dark corner of your room , and think how stupid it's to bank the money and use threewheel.

if the comment on banking the money is for my post, it's just to prove the OP wrong. Doing that will save money, but I myself am using a car pumping petrol and travelling around, just for all the reasons you mentioned :)

if the comment on banking the money is for my post, it's just to prove the OP wrong. Doing that will save money, but I myself am using a car pumping petrol and travelling around, just for all the reasons you mentioned :)

NO , it didn't target any post except OT.

Just didn't read any of other posts actually, it's retarded from the first post itself.:

dear mr. moneymaker

you must be doing some advertising for a taxi company or something...........or as your name suggest you thinking of ways to save your money

i ll let you know some other cheaper methods than those TAXIs

1. go by foot - it will burn out your calories as well ( another advantage)
  2. push bike
  3. bus
  4. motor bike

not having a vehicle always save your money

is there anything to discuss in this topic,really?

dear mr. moneymaker

you must be doing some advertising for a taxi company or something...........or as your name suggest you thinking of ways to save your money

i ll let you know some other cheaper methods than those TAXIs

1. go by foot - it will burn out your calories as well ( another advantage)
  2. push bike
  3. bus
  4. motor bike

not having a vehicle always save your money

is there anything to discuss in this topic,really?

@ Priyanka, I don't think you have understood this topic. Make sure you read the main topic! using ur car is cheaper than using a taxi and yes Saving Money is a must in the world we live in! Don't be ashamed to admit that...

@ Priyanka, I don't think you have understood this topic. Make sure you read the main topic! using ur car is cheaper than using a taxi and yes Saving Money is a must in the world we live in! Don't be ashamed to admit that...

though this is an utterly useless topic as many have suggested, you still haven't realized that you're wrong. I still can't find the objective anyway. To sum it up, we discuss cars here, not money.

good luck!

• Like 2

Let's put the main topic back on track. I do not think comparing just the operational cost of own car to a taxi ride is fair. Of course one cannot bring the cost of taking a taxi down to that of a car in this manner for the simple reason that the taxi fair already accounts for the cost of capital investment, insurance, maintenance, driver's salary, and if it is operated by a company it's overheads etc., Here you only consider the fuel cost of a own car. However, it is a simplistic way of illustrating how it affects your pocket on a daily basis. Now taking the topic again off track, I must add that I am not a proponent of the use of private vehicles for daily commuting to work/business etc. I always wish if we had a more developed public transport system like in Singapore as an regional example. But please keep in mind, for a developed public transport you need to be prepared to pay more. What we are paying today as bus or train fares is grossly undervalued (Please keep your brickbats down, I am not a private bus owner!!!) to expect a what I call a decent public transport service. One may say that people cannot afford to pay higher fares all of a sudden. True, but these changes should have come to light gradually over a period of time. For example, in Singapore if three people are travelling together, it is almost the same fare whether you take a taxi or public transport. (Travelling in MRT and taxi is almost the same with regard to accessibility. One can reach almost every corner of the city now on MRT). So is it fair to say that we are saving money by travelling in a bus here instead of a own car or taxi?

How am I wrong dump ass?

You're wrong because of all the reasons people have been explaining to you throughout the thread. So stop barking like a mad dog, go read that, and STFU.

PS: and its dumb-ass. not dump ass. Please goto the queen's english class. Sylvi has the address.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Let's put the main topic back on track. I do not think comparing just the operational cost of own car to a taxi ride is fair. Of course one cannot bring the cost of taking a taxi down to that of a car in this manner for the simple reason that the taxi fair already accounts for the cost of capital investment, insurance, maintenance, driver's salary, and if it is operated by a company it's overheads etc., Here you only consider the fuel cost of a own car. However, it is a simplistic way of illustrating how it affects your pocket on a daily basis. Now taking the topic again off track, I must add that I am not a proponent of the use of private vehicles for daily commuting to work/business etc. I always wish if we had a more developed public transport system like in Singapore as an regional example. But please keep in mind, for a developed public transport you need to be prepared to pay more. What we are paying today as bus or train fares is grossly undervalued (Please keep your brickbats down, I am not a private bus owner!!!) to expect a what I call a decent public transport service. One may say that people cannot afford to pay higher fares all of a sudden. True, but these changes should have come to light gradually over a period of time. For example, in Singapore if three people are travelling together, it is almost the same fare whether you take a taxi or public transport. (Travelling in MRT and taxi is almost the same with regard to accessibility. One can reach almost every corner of the city now on MRT). So is it fair to say that we are saving money by travelling in a bus here instead of a own car or taxi?

Good post Rumesh88. The other big difference between a developed economy and us is that their per capita income. This is why an efficient and clean public transport might become expensive for us to use. Add to this our madly rising cost of living, inflation etc and generally poor economic management means this is still a dream.