• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Roof Beading Restoration

Schiffer

After painting the car and polishing it with compound, my painter made a big mess with the roof beading. Most of the people i asked advice for told me that either ill have to find a new beading or paste a black or a carbon fiber like sticker on it.

i just tried out using a tire shining liquid as a temporary solution around it and i am happy with the results.

All you need is a bottle of tire shine and a small piece of sponge. Tip. measure the beading and cut a piece a lil bit smaller than that so it wont get messy.

JLBZcxK.jpg

5vooENO.jpg

Before

mU8oTHH.jpg

Gently apply it along the beading

0IddkVs.jpg

After

7P5GmmN.jpg

Do the same to the other side

Tx0LRw1.jpg

KAwRZwZ.jpg

The left side beading was popping out in one place.

i tried with a hot glue gun and multibone but it just didn't do the trick.

Tried with a double side 3M tape and it did the trick.

Before

bWTzTwK.jpg

After

YRbQjVr.jpg

A Cheaper and an Easy way to keep the old beading :)

if the blackness of this fades away quickly. ill try that method as well :)

tbh i don't have much knowledge in this field. i asked my painter and he said point blank you cant paint it..

if the blackness of this fades away quickly. ill try that method as well :)

tbh i don't have much knowledge in this field. i asked my painter and he said point blank you cant paint it..

That's because for plastics you need to use a different primer and paint. Else it comes off after a little while in layers. I see it happen a lot particularly with door handles as the guys use normal 2K on it.

Refer the project R thread by Komi on how he repainted the interior.

That's because for plastics you need to use a different primer and paint. Else it comes off after a little while in layers. I see it happen a lot particularly with door handles as the guys use normal 2K on it.

Refer the project R thread by Komi on how he repainted the interior.

Will do, thanks mate :)

Tyre shine works equally well on all (black) plastic trims. I usually apply a little on the mud flaps to give them a shine. The only down side to this method is that it needs to be repeated every now and then because this stuff is washable.

Schiffer, what on earth did your painter do to make those beadings so "white"? Quite a change after the simple (and cheap) remedy though, good stuff!

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the DIY section? :)

Thank you Schiffer for your OP. I too have a similar problem. Must give a try your way.

As for your painter it seems he has not updated himself with latest developments in his field. This is a familiar story with many of them who simply go on doing what they have been doing for the last 25 years.

When using double tape, be careful that the path of the drain is not obstructed too much.

Don the double side tape doesn't seem to hold up well. just saw it, the beading is starting to popping up again.

any other suggestions?

Don the double side tape doesn't seem to hold up well. just saw it, the beading is starting to popping up again.

any other suggestions?

In my case, I took the beading out and figured out the reason mine was not held down properly because the plastic connectors were broken and out of place. Lined them up properly and pushed it down and it was held down well.

You can afford for some of them to be broken as long as they are spaced correctly. First figure out what's causing the problem. I would advise against obstructing water channels there and around the window glass as this causes havoc in drainage and can cause water/ moisture retention leading to rust.

in my case the plastic has bend.. .. more iike its been fried coz of the heat.

im gonna try it again later and this time for comprising im gonna use my mates carina.

ill keep the thread updated.

thanks for the advices Don.

in my case the plastic has bend.. .. more iike its been fried coz of the heat.

im gonna try it again later and this time for comprising im gonna use my mates carina.

ill keep the thread updated.

thanks for the advices Don.

The plastic I'm talking about is the little clips that is holding the beading to the roof. Normally they clip into place.

The plastic I'm talking about is the little clips that is holding the beading to the roof. Normally they clip into place.

i didnt completely remove it, but as far as i removed it, it looked like it only had clips on both ends of it.

When I was building the Noah the roof molding I bought looked pretty dull. So I used a bit of brasso and buffed the crap out of it. Came out too shiny but even after 2 years it still looks good.

cant use brasso on this mate. it will have the same effect of using brasso on a matte surface.

this doesnt have that shiny plastic thing

check post #5

i didnt completely remove it, but as far as i removed it, it looked like it only had clips on both ends of it.

Maybe move one of the clips to the middle? I don't think it would be completely absent of some support in the middle. Check the other side.