• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Want To Know Auction Grade Of My Car

aselaplus

Hmm...auction grade...I doubt it, short of looking at the auction data sheet for the car you are not going to find out what it was. But why do you want to know what the auction grade was of a car that was imported and used for sometime ? Short of the import being a R grade; don't you think that irrespective of what the grade was at import it would be irrelevant by now (especially if the car has been used for more than a few months and/or very little mileage additions) and it is more important to know how the previous owner used it ?

Now if the car was bought at the auction a short time again would be a different story but you have to wonder if the cost is worth it.

I am sad to tell you this about the oval stickers, it is the plight of a lot of japanese imports to Sri Lanka; it shows that your car's engine was completely rebuilt because it was condemned due to high fuel consumption and was polluting. Now I an see why you want to know the auction grade...

<just kidding...just wanted to tag your chains for obvious reasons>

The two oval stickers in the back (if you are referring to the light green one and a blueish one with a percentage sign and a couple of stars) ; the stickers show the environmental/"fuel economy" classification for the car. It serves no purpose other than just show which category of fuel efficiency the vehicle belongs to according to domestic japanese regulations

Edited by iRage

I Admire iRange's tolerance for stupidity.

In an age where even those JAAI certs are bluffed to "add value" to cars, some naive fool who is now the 3rd owner of the car, is out on a quest to find its auction grade.. In a couple of years we'll be seeing a beige-interior-mint-condition-10-year-old-alloy-wheels-crystal-light Allion with a Auction grade 5 with only 7500km. It'll be a keeper for sure..

i own an Allion 260 which i bought 2nd hand in Sri lanka, so i want to know what is the auction grade for my car when it was being imported.

and what are those two oval shape stickers on the rear windscreen? and what does it tell?

aselaplus,

You are trying to find out the auction grade of a used car in Sri Lanka.

Original importer will have the record of the car when it is imported.

Now the car had changed hands twice. Too late to find out.

It is a hopeless quest.

Japanese Car Auction Grading
Overall Grade

Grade 7, 8, 9 or S is given to a new car that is being sold in an auction, with only delivery mileage.

Grade 6 Similar to the cars above but with a little more than delivery mileage.

Grade 5 to a car with exceptionally low mileage and in mint condition.

Grade 4.5 is in excellent condition, but can also have mileage of up to 100K.

Grade 4 is a good, solid car. Mileage is not an issue (could be low or high).

Grade 3.5 is similar to a grade 4 but may need more paint and panel work. Alternatively, it may have high mileage.

Grade 3 often has either serious paint and panel, or it has had a panel replacement somewhere. Grade 3 cars can also be basically grade 3.5s in terms of condition, but with very high mileage.

Grade 2 is reserved for vehicles in the worst condition. This does not mean that they are write offs, simply that they have experienced deterioration such that they are now in a very poor state. A grade 2 vehicle will often have corrosion, perhaps corrosion holes and other serious issues. If you are looking for “classic” and other older cars or older trucks and buses, you will find a number of them are grade 2.

Grade 1 Can be one of the following

1). After market turbo / engine (some sort of serious modification to the original vehicle)

2). Transmission changed from auto to manual.

Grade A, R, RA are repair history cars. The auctions definition of “repair history” is a car that has had an inside panel repaired in some way. This can range from extremely minor to major.

Grade ??? are ungraded write off cars which may not move at all. Auctions provide no information about these cars on the auction sheets. If the cars are drivable, then there should be no additional transportation costs. However, if the motor does not start or if the car cannot move under its own power for some other reason there may be problems in getting it from the auction to the port, and then from the yard onto the ship. If the engine does not start and is not steerable, transportation and port costs can skyrocket.

Exterior and Interior Grading

Some auctions have a letter, A, B or C to denote the exterior and interior grade separately. These letters can be seen near the overall grading number. A is excellent, B average and C below average.

We will normally not note the exterior grade, as the exterior condition of the car can be ascertained by looking at the car map (see below). For the interior grade, we will normally note this in the translation of the auction sheet if you bid on a car.

Car Map

This is in the bottom right corner of the auction sheet. On the map, the number after the letter denotes the severity of the damage. 1 = light, 2 = moderate, 3 = significant , 4 = major

car_map.jpg

A Scratch

U Dent

B Dent with scratch

W Wave, or repaired area

S Rust (orange discoloration on the surface)

C Corrosion (rust has progressed so that now the original metal is now flaking away)

P Paint marked

H Paint faded

XX Replaced panel / item

X Item that needs replacing

G Stone chip on glass

Y Crack

E Dimple

Above I copied from the web for your information.
Sylvi Wijesinghe.

and mind you..it is not that difficult for a car sales person to make up an auction sheet; or at least alter the original one as most of them are written rather clumsily; not to mention is Japanese :)

As for my tolerance for stupidity; I give them the benefit of the doubt once...

and mind you..it is not that difficult for a car sales person to make up an auction sheet; or at least alter the original one as most of them are written rather clumsily; not to mention is Japanese :)

As for my tolerance for stupidity; I give them the benefit of the doubt once...

iRage,

I personally know few importers who alter the Japanese certificates for their benefit to make few extra thousands of S L rupees.

Canceled certificate of registration was printed in Japan by our importers.

Mostly they alter the milometer to read low kilometers.

Few decades ago one importer stamped chassis numbers to read that they are vehicles to be under 10 and 5 years.

With the help of Japanese exporters. Now he is in Australia. In his late 70 years of age.

His brother who imported vehicles to S L is no more in this world had gone to internal rest.

This started from the time OGL was legal after 1977 to S L for free vehicle imports.

Still vehicle importers are subject to all type of nefarious activities to make few S L Rupees extra.

In late1970s there were few importers now you will find thousands in all over S L.

The early stages auctions were allowed only to Japanese. Sri Lank-ans had to go for a auction with a Japanese.

As I was in and out to Japan from 1970. I know the nefarious dealings what our Sri lank-ans did in Japan.

Few Sri lank-an minor workers were deported from japan when they found guilty for said activities.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Actually, you can find out the auction grade of your vehicle if it's imported within few months back. There are many sites which you can search. The history is only spanning for maximum 6 months in most of the sites. If you want the site list send me a PM.

If your car is bought from a dealer directly (not from a auction), then there is no auction sheet, only some inspection sheet. If you have copy of the JAAI you can ask for auction sheet or that inspection sheet from the original car exporter/Importer

I am sad to tell you this about the oval stickers, it is the plight of a lot of japanese imports to Sri Lanka; it shows that your car's engine was completely rebuilt because it was condemned due to high fuel consumption and was polluting. Now I an see why you want to know the auction grade...

LOLOL! You should have told him the truth after a couple of days!

LOLOL! You should have told him the truth after a couple of days!

:) I was quite tempted to...but then didn't want to be the root cause of

- seeing a whole bunch of threads about how all Japanese cars on SL roads are condemned vehicles :) although it would have been funny

- (most of all) any depression that the OP might get in to

Edited by iRage