• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 605Sr

ash_raz

Hi All,

I am planning to buy myself a car, not as a dialy runner, but to go to university and to go to classes.

I thought of buying a peugeot 605SR 1995 model.

Can you please share with me,

• Pros and Cons of this car
  • Normal Market Price
  • Maintainance and parts availability

Thank you in advance

If this is a repost... please share me the old links.. coz I could not find any...

Not sure if you're working and studying part time; but if you're a full time student, I would advise you against this because:

- the 605 is a big car and will drink a fair bit of petrol

- with no job or little pocket money maintaining this car might be a bit hard.

But on the other hand I see great potential in terms of:

- being a great learning experience in terms of performing running repairs.

- being a student you might have a lot of free time in your hands to get your hands dirty and get a chance to learn about this car inside out..

- after all the time, money, energy and attention you spend on this car, it'll end up being a very important part of your life.

• Like 2

605 may not be the best peugeot out there for a student to buy. Fuel consumption is higher than an average peugeot and the electrics and most of the features are bit complex and meant for experts. While the engine shares most of the components of 406, the other bits may be expensive. One more thing I noticed in 605s is that almost all specimens are molested to some extend. If you can come across an unmolested good example at a reasonable price, the equation will become favorable for you.

Hi All,

I am planning to buy myself a car, not as a dialy runner, but to go to university and to go to classes.

I thought of buying a peugeot 605SR 1995 model.

Can you please share with me,

• Pros and Cons of this car
  • Normal Market Price
  • Maintainance and parts availability

Thank you in advance

If this is a repost... please share me the old links.. coz I could not find any...

ash_raz,

Relative of mine imported a new car in 1990 mid. Used same till he sold and left the country.

Always maintained by ex Car Mart Mechanic. Even regular service was done under inspection of this Mechanic.

If I can remember the Fuel consumction was not more than 5 to 6 Kilometers in city running.

Engine never gave any problems for 130000 Kilometers. Once he changed the shock-absorbers and brake overhaul which cost him lot.

He had few problems with Alternator which I attended other than that nothing much to say.

Suspension was very comfortable. I think Car Mart do not have any parts for this car. Can buy form outside.

Spare parts will be expensive, than a Japanese car of this category.

The price depends on how well used by the last user. Look into all service details and records.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

605 may not be the best peugeot out there for a student to buy. Fuel consumption is higher than an average peugeot and the electrics and most of the features are bit complex and meant for experts. While the engine shares most of the components of 406, the other bits may be expensive. One more thing I noticed in 605s is that almost all specimens are molested to some extend. If you can come across an unmolested good example at a reasonable price, the equation will become favorable for you.

I think the 'molestation' is due to the fact that a lot of 605s on the road were imported for the police department back in mid 90s.

I'm sorry gentlemen I cannot agree with a lot of what you all say. I owned a 605SR for only about 5 months but one of my friends had one for many many years.

I used to get 7km/L which I think is justifiable for such a large barge. My friend converted his to run on LPG and was very happy with the car.

Parts being more expensive than Japanese is absolute nonsense. They are very cheap and there are used parts also available. Of course you need to by them from outside C4r M4RT.

The difficult parts to find will be the brittle interior parts like air vents and switches.

It's nothing much to drive at all IMHO. Just a big comfy smart looking luxo barge.

Take the advice on most cars being molested quite seriously. Because if you buy such one no matter which brand you will have to suffer. Buy only if it's well cared for.

Thank you for the comments guys... but i was too late... the guy has sold his car... :(

I am a full-time student, but doing my own freelance jobs....

ANy suggestions for me??

What made you think of a 605 in particular ash_raz? What are your expectations from this car? What do you like? For a student to choose a car such as a 605 is uncommon. I'm not saying it's wrong. Far from it I think it's adventurous and brave and I like that compared to hundreds of "play safe", over cautious, boring people that usually come for advice here who are stuck forever in their Toyota and Nissan cages. And what's your budget?

• Like 1

My budget is 1million...

Actually, I am kind in to big cars... My 1st choices were either a Land Rover Series 3(Mitsubishi J serie jeeps) or a Peugeot 406(not the face lift model) but couldn't find any vehicle under that price margin or the vehicles I found are sold before I reach them... :-)

Choosing 605 is, I actually like its body shape and I heard peugeot is a solid car if you do you maintainance correctly...I have driven a 406, it has more driving pleasure and comfort compared to japanese cars in same range...

So thats basically it

My budget is 1million...

Actually, I am kind in to big cars... My 1st choices were either a Land Rover Series 3(Mitsubishi J serie jeeps) or a Peugeot 406(not the face lift model) but couldn't find any vehicle under that price margin or the vehicles I found are sold before I reach them... :-)

Choosing 605 is, I actually like its body shape and I heard peugeot is a solid car if you do you maintainance correctly...I have driven a 406, it has more driving pleasure and comfort compared to japanese cars in same range...

So thats basically it

ash_rash,

Your budget is 1 M. You have to go for a vehicle more than 15 years old.

Have to expect some repairs. Have to have some extra money to spend.

Try for some time you will get a good vehicle of your choice to your budget.

Best of luck for luck good vehicle of your choice.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I'm sorry gentlemen I cannot agree with a lot of what you all say. I owned a 605SR for only about 5 months but one of my friends had one for many many years.

I used to get 7km/L which I think is justifiable for such a large barge. My friend converted his to run on LPG and was very happy with the car.

Parts being more expensive than Japanese is absolute nonsense. They are very cheap and there are used parts also available. Of course you need to by them from outside C4r M4RT.

The difficult parts to find will be the brittle interior parts like air vents and switches.

It's nothing much to drive at all IMHO. Just a big comfy smart looking luxo barge.

Take the advice on most cars being molested quite seriously. Because if you buy such one no matter which brand you will have to suffer. Buy only if it's well cared for.

GTAm,

I agree to certain comments of your post.

Please note European car parts are expensive if it is from the original country.

If it is a used part then it can be cheap.

Most of our mechanics modify the vehicles to run on the S L roads with their past experience.

I too used to do plenty of modifications to vehicles and industrial equipment. In dark era from 1962 to 1979.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Here are some big cars for u to consider, within uour price bracket

A32 Cefiro

Hyundai sonata/Kia Optima/Daewoo Leganza

Citroen Xantia

slightly older Toyota Camry/Vista

If you can find a Xantia, it might be a good choice for you especially because its a 406 underneath.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crosswind" data-cid="238845" data-time="1367369062"><p>

Here are some big cars for u to consider, within uour price bracket<br />

<br />

A32 Cefiro<br />

Hyundai sonata/Kia Optima/Daewoo Leganza<br />

Citroen Xantia<br />

slightly older Toyota Camry/Vista<br />

<br />

If you can find a Xantia, it might be a good choice for you especially because its a 406 underneath.</p></blockquote>

Highly discourage the xantia although it's a 406 in terms of engine and drive train. Issue is the hydro pneumatic suspension system which is very hard to keep without leaking and issue free. Remember this is not heresay and it's based on examples I've seen.

In terms of euro cars OP can focus the VW range, Passat and Bora Peugeot 406 D8 ( a friend bought a late registered H plate 1997 non HDI diesel 406 for 1.1 about a week back ), even some D9 s I've witnessed going at close to 1mil mark. 306 is certainly available at that mark but less comfy and space. There are handful of diesel 605s which are still in good nick, still the electrics are all messed up in almost every car.

While being a Peugeot enthusiast I like the fact that people consider them as buying options, in fact I did the same thing as a student. The difference in what I did was I bought a 504 with a Japanese diesel plant paying 190k. So maintenance was brisk and I had some money left. pumping diesel at 50 Rs a litre wasn't an issue as well. At the same time I don't wanna see someone with a limited budget buy one cheap (probably not maintained properly) and run around without spending on preventive maintenance and later accuse the brand is not good or not suitable to our country etc. These are lame excuses of those who doesn't maintain and who doesn't know their vehicles well.

Having said that there are some models which would be hard to maintain in Sri lankan context, xantia and C5 and most of renaults would fall into that category. So best to proceed with a caution if OP considers these as options.

No offense intended to OP but if you're only looking to buy a 605 just because it's affordable without considering it's maintenance, best is to stick to a non euro car.

• Like 1

I'll advise anybody to stay away from the Xantia as well. Poorly built car and did no favour to the shaky reputation of French automobiles. The 406 was a far better hardier car, with the only thing to complain about the Sagem electronics.

My budget is 1million...

So thats basically it

Aha nice to know that you have a taste for big cars. There was a time I too liked them after reading a very interesting article about big cars long years ago. Definitely the 406 has a lot more driving pleasure than the 605 and I would recommend a good 406 without hesitation. As harshan says stay away from the Xantia.

Have you thought about an old Merc? W115 or W123? Anciant barges to drive but big, comfy, and real work horses. Besides the 115 is a considered a classic and will appreciate over the years.

There are two other cars I can think of but you will need to check on parts availability. These two are notorious for their lack of parts at least when I owned them. One is the Volvo 240. Bullet proof reliability (Actually my student car was a Volvo 244 :)) and very comfy superb cruiser. The other is the Opel Omega. Absolutely a joy to drive. Better than a BMW E34!!! Ride and handling is almost perfect. These will definitely be well below your budget but do make a full check up on parts availability.

It also might be worth investigating old Honda Accords. Or if you are hooked on a 605. Wait patiently and get one. Don't be in a hurry.

• Like 1

Please note European car parts are expensive if it is from the original country.

Most of our mechanics modify the vehicles to run on the S L roads with their past experience.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Cannot agree with you Mr. Wijesinghe. I am attached to a company that repairs and services vehicles. The bulk of the cars are Italian as that is our speciality. We are also now moving into Peugoets. However our customer base includes many Mercs, BMWs, VW/Audis, Jags, Volvos Japs and even Koreans. Therefore we know exactly what the prices are. I'm not talking about the hundreds of fake parts you get in Panchikawatte. But OEM from a reputed brand. Most Euro parts are a lot cheaper than Japanese parts. The exception is BMW and VW-Audi. I will give you an amazing example. The previous gen Camry's break pads are exatcly double the price of those of a Alfa Romeo 166 or 159. What ever other parts be it clutch kits or dampers the Japanese parts are very expensive and euro parts are a lot cheaper. Perhaps in the future with the drastic drop in the Yen they will get cheaper if they are made in Japan.

I don't know if most mechanics modify or why they would need to do that. But I will not advocate that. That's very foolish and short sighted I believe.

Cannot agree with you Mr. Wijesinghe. I am attached to a company that repairs and services vehicles. The bulk of the cars are Italian as that is our speciality. We are also now moving into Peugoets. However our customer base includes many Mercs, BMWs, VW/Audis, Jags, Volvos Japs and even Koreans. Therefore we know exactly what the prices are. I'm not talking about the hundreds of fake parts you get in Panchikawatte. But OEM from a reputed brand. Most Euro parts are a lot cheaper than Japanese parts. The exception is BMW and VW-Audi. I will give you an amazing example. The previous gen Camry's break pads are exatcly double the price of those of a Alfa Romeo 166 or 159. What ever other parts be it clutch kits or dampers the Japanese parts are very expensive and euro parts are a lot cheaper. Perhaps in the future with the drastic drop in the Yen they will get cheaper if they are made in Japan.

I don't know if most mechanics modify or why they would need to do that. But I will not advocate that. That's very foolish and short sighted I believe.

I agree with this. currently I am using a Toyota Hilux and a VW Tiguan when compared to the Toyota VW is much economical to maintain .

• Like 1

GTAm,

As you are in big time automobile repair service industry, your comment I cannot argue in the cost of spares matter.

What I posted was my experience in the past. I am not any more in Automobile mechanical repairs. Early days I did Automobile and industrial.

If a part is not available, the vehicle has to run on the road. Instead of keeping in a garage, until you get a original replacement.

What a vehicle owner will request, Try to get the vehicle run on the road. Then only option is to modify a unit or a part to fit into the vehicle.

Some modifications fail prematurely. Then mechanics perfect after that a modification. It is very easy to fix a new spares to a problem of a vehicle.

Diagnose the problem, then do the correct replacement. Today most repair service centers do trial and error jobs. Customer pays for all.

Under is not relevant to this thread. but still I will post. This is for your information.

On 30th of last month one reputed company had a problem related to my profession. The unit was very badly damaged.

No way that can be repaired. Has to replace new one. Vehicle owner insisted that he wants the vehicle immediately. Vehicle cost was 8 Million.

Original spares were not available. The vehicle is only 2.5 months old. original part cost Rs.120000.00 Company decided to give him a replacement.

By removing the damaged part from a new vehicle, which was to be delivered in end of this month as it is a government bulk order can delay.

In the process, Trying to remove the part. The well trained mechanic damaged the part. I was called in to do the necessary repair.

Had to call the owner of the vehicle, explained him the problem in front of him the job was done. It is still can be noticeable if you look in carefully.

He was promised by the company gets the original spares, they will replace a new part for the replaced part free of charge. Due to their fault.

Vehicle owner was happy and he took the vehicle away.

This was a human error. Therefore I always believe that any part can be rebuild and modified.

I do not know your age.I was in in industry for almost 50 years. Still active.

If You were in the dark era, at that time our technicians, did marvelous modifications to automobile and industrial units.

Today spares are available freely original replacements, substitutes, used spares. It is the end user had to decide what to replace.

Order spare parts get across from any part of the world in express air courier service, in three to five days. I do use courier service for my materials.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi
  • Like 1

Wow.. thank you guys for the insight given by you...

I found a 1993 Honda Accord advertised in ik*an.lk

Thought to look for it...

What are the areas I need to consider before buying such??

I'd say check for spare parts availability and prices of spares. There is a shop called Tec6 Motors at Panchikawatte. I owned a Honda Prelude and it was a nightmare for parts. Hondas are known to be very reliable cars. The only problem as far as I can see could be parts availability and parts pricing. In these aspects the 605 could be cheaper to run. But anyway it's a long time since I had the Prelude so better check up.

I agree with this. currently I am using a Toyota Hilux and a VW Tiguan when compared to the Toyota VW is much economical to maintain .

Ha ha you are probably only comparing the cost of parts here for regular servicing. I can guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that the total cost of ownership of the Toyota Hilux will be lower than the VW Tiguan say over a 10 year period.

Wow.. thank you guys for the insight given by you...

I found a 1993 Honda Accord advertised in ik*an.lk

Thought to look for it...

What are the areas I need to consider before buying such??

Read this thread.. It should tell you all you need to know

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/3430-how-to-buy-a-used-car-in-sri-lanka/

I've had the sonata. Super luxo barge. Fuel economy is appalling. If you're a student it will drain you. Does about 4kmpl. But the trim and comfort is beyond compare. It will lull you to sleep. Used one from 2004 up to jan 2013. Really didn't mind forking out the dough for petrol because it was the lap of luxury. If you can live with that cleft-palate face it's a good thing. I found the front end hideous. The rear looked like Vida Guerra in a thong (google google!)

It's my moms car and it hardly ran. Just did about 10km a week, and the occasional highway run (where it does EXCELLENT on fuel, and its such a joy to have so many horses on tap at those speeds) but we had frequent repairs.

Rather unreliable. Stuff keeps giving up regularly. Which is a little frustrating. Parts are cheap, but I'd rather have a tiguan that runs than a hilux that breaks, if you know what I mean.

And machan I don't think I should start on the Honda. I'm way too biased to say a word that will be constructive to you! Simply because I'm have a mad, lustful, secret affair with one! Ssh! If my wife finds out mama iwarai!