• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Relaying Headlights

Nissan cdj

is it okay if i do the relaying job of my headlights on my own since i am jobless these days.i wanna knw

1 will this increase the brightness of my headlights as electritions say ?

2 whts the best method to do this do i need to have a full wiring from the battery or just two relays for the existing wiring (for the original wire

harness)

3 and whts the guge of the wire thst i should use for this and the type of relays is there specific relays for this or just 4 pin relay which we can

buib from recondition part shops

4 where do i have to get the positive wire i meant from the battery or alternator ?

5 and what are the things that i should consider before doing this and while doing this ?

6 the other thing is longer the wire, the more the resistance. Therefore how to shorter the wiring to get more power sorry if i am wrong

u expetise are welcome and appreciate ur advices / comments on this

Thanx in advance

Edited by Nissan cdj
  • Like 1

I strongly recommend you to learn some basic electrical principles before doing it.

Most of the vehicles are originally equipped with a relay for head lights to bare the electrical load and to protect the switch

yeah thts true peugeot 407 but i think my oem wire harness is totally out since its yom 1993.Its a nissan vanette Vx c22.plus i hope that my oem relay also out too since when i am flashing my headlights it doesnt give me the click side which is a sign of good relay if i am not mistaken.

Members,

You can check the Voltage drop if you have a DC Volt meter, on the H/L holder.

Reason to have a relay is for correct voltage at the bulb end. So that there will be no voltage drop.

To check on the existing system without a Volt meter, use thick house wiring green earth wire.

On your lights dip or head and hold directly from the battery + terminal to the bulb holder end.

This test has to be done first which filament is lighting, using a small side lamp bulb.Do test both filaments.

Some times due to earth fault. Light brightners will be less.

Old English Vehicles’ had + earth. All modern vehicles have – Earth.

Sylvi.

• Like 1

is it okay if i do the relaying job of my headlights on my own since i am jobless these days.i wanna knw

1 will this increase the brightness of my headlights as electritions say ?

2 whts the best method to do this do i need to have a full wiring from the battery or just two relays for the existing wiring (for the original wire

harness)

3 and whts the guge of the wire thst i should use for this and the type of relays is there specific relays for this or just 4 pin relay which we can

buib from recondition part shops

4 where do i have to get the positive wire i meant from the battery or alternator ?

5 and what are the things that i should consider before doing this and while doing this ?

6 the other thing is longer the wire, the more the resistance. Therefore how to shorter the wiring to get more power sorry if i am wrong

u expetise are welcome and appreciate ur advices / comments on this

Thanx in advance

1. IMHO, the whole increasing of brightness isn't a huge deal with a relay. With a relay you will have a tad bit more voltage to the bulb since the + power line is more or less a direct line from the battery. In reality relays are mostly used to save switches since when the active circuit has a larger load like in the case of high powered bulbs, sparks created inside the switch contact points are more. More heat, more wastage and quick failure.

A relay is nothing a but a magnetically operated switch. The switch you activate will charge an electro magnet that in turn either engage or disengage the internal switch of the relay.

2. look at the maximum wattage you'd be using and choose a relay or two relays with that ampere rating. wattage=voltage x current. Use your existing wires to drive the primary coil of the relay. pins 85 and 86. 85 is ground. these are marked on the relay.

have a direct line from the battery that gets connected to pin 30. pin 87 will be the one that gives this direct battery current to your lights once the switch is activated.

make sure you have a fuse as close to the battery as possible when you get the direct battery line.

3. yeah get a 4 pin relay. used jap denzo ones are way better than the cheap crap they sell brand new at most shops. As for the wire gauge, i run two 100w lights with somewhat thicker automotive wire. no idea of gauge though. obviously the thicker the better. but for a 100w bulbs it's doesn't have to be really heavy gauge. not like the stuff you used to wire car amps and stufff.

4. + should come from the battery. never at the alternator. also as stated above, use a fuse as close to the battery as possible for this line

5 n 6. It sounds like you don't really know your way around wiring bits. I feel its best you get another who knows their way around these kinda stuff to guide you through this.

It's pretty straight forward easy stuff but quality control dept its best you get somebody with a bit more experience. imho :)

Nissan cdj,

Can you please contact me by telephone. 00000 Mobile 000000.

I will be able give you more detail advice by telephone.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by The Don
Sylvi, don't post your contact details on a public forum. This is for your own protection. Send the member a PM instead.

Nissan cdj,

Can you please contact me by telephone. 0000000 Mobile 0000000000

I will be able give you more detail advice by telephone.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, you know what happens when you post your phone number publicly online right? All sorts of crazy buggers start prank calling you. Worse, some telemarketer may get their grimy hands on it and start calling you at all hours offering you credit cards, pots, pans and what-not.

I'd use a private message for this kinda thing if I were you. It'd probably save you a lot of grief later on, unless that is, you want crazies to call? :D

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Sylvi, you know what happens when you post your phone number publicly online right? All sorts of crazy buggers start prank calling you. Worse, some telemarketer may get their grimy hands on it and start calling you at all hours offering you credit cards, pots, pans and what-not.

I'd use a private message for this kinda thing if I were you. It'd probably save you a lot of grief later on, unless that is, you want crazies to call? :D

Kawaz,

Thanking for your advice.You are correct.I have posted my numbers early also.Moderator Don has done the need. I will refrain from doing this in future.

Nissan cdj,

According to your last reply post you are definitely having a voltage drop.

Early post by member Ripper had given you very correct advise.

Therefore you have to buy heavy gauge wire 12 volts Relay and fix the bright 100/90 or 100/60 bulbs.

You can have the relay close to head lights, Same old wiring the two wires will control the head lights.

Get a good auto electrician who understand your problem to wire same.Check the earth wire same way like early.

Also have a thick wire gauge wire. I used to use 28/12 auto wire early days, later that became Metric.

I do not know the present equality. Metric wire auto spares shops will have.

I am no more on Auto electrical maintenance. Please PM me with any assistance is needed.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

I myself did the the job perfectly and i am happy about it but there was only little more emit of light brigtness even after relaying anyways now i am up to change my 60/55 w bulbs to 100/90 w so what are the bulb brands u recommand as an expert or experienced motorist

thnx in advance Mr Sylvi

And the other thing i want to know is what are the bulbs that are listed on ebay as h4 xenon halogens ?

Is it a must to solder the wires that are connected to the rexondition nissan relay socket i meant isnt it enoght just twisting the relay socket wires with the direct battery wires and output wires of the relay ?

And the other thing i want to know is what are the bulbs that are listed on ebay as h4 xenon halogens ?

Is it a must to solder the wires that are connected to the rexondition nissan relay socket i meant isnt it enoght just twisting the relay socket wires with the direct battery wires and output wires of the relay ?

Bulbs other members had given you advice. Re soldering do not do that. Base of the relay can get effected, if it is overheated.

Then the relay will not be act correctly. Either drill small hole can use small nut and bolt with two flat washers rap around the bolt in between the washers.

Normally relays have a Male flat thin metal plate with a small pin hole. Have to use a female clip for the wire.

There are female wire end clips,use an crimp tool or solder the connecting end of wire. End clips are available in electrical and motor spare parts shops.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I do not think that police allow to do any modifications to face or body of a vehicle without getting permit from CMT.

I had fitted few LED lights in front for my vehicle few days back police on the road to stop me requested my drivers license.

I requested to know the offense committed to request his license.

He looked at me and inside of the vehicle and saw my private communication VHF Equipment said OK Sir.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I used. female clips but then my autp electrician said that since its risky using fmale clips its better to use the original socket which was given with the relays.so i asked hI'm wether there will be any. voltage drops due to twisting the socket end wires he said no therefore i used the original socket.

though he said there's no voltage drops I am doubt so as u knw will there be any voltage drops ?

Thanks in advance