• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

It seems no hard shoulder in the express way. Where will the broken down vehicles stop? And if accident happened, How the emergency/highway maintenance vehicles move to the place where it happens?

All this has already discussed on this thread, without any positive answers. As the videos above show, the road is as narrow as we feared.

In the article they say 100km/h, but in the box summary they say 120km/h, let's hope its a typo cos everywhere else I've read it says 120km/h limit.

Yeah and did u notice that the No. of accidents is ZERO on the expressway :D wonder what consultant came up with that number :D

In the article they say 100km/h, but in the box summary they say 120km/h, let's hope its a typo cos everywhere else I've read it says 120km/h limit.

120km/h is the design speed limit, 100km/h would be the initially enforced speed limit. The following paragraph in the article explains it and hopefully they will increase the enforced limit to 120km/h someday!

He said that the highway was designed for a speed limit of 120 kmph, but only 100 would be allowed. “This is because Sri Lankan drivers are new to the highway and also their road discipline is not so good”, Chandrasiri said. However, once the drivers get used to highway rules and regulations, this speed limit is expected to increase to 120 kmph, allowing a driver to reach Galle in less than half an hour.

What an exciting project. I'm really looking forward to having a spin down to Galle on my nxt trip. At the Colombo end, how does the expressway link to the normal road system? Is there a big interchange there?

Umm there are tons of pictures of exits in this thread alone, just look up :)

Just reading a fascinating book on Motorways:

On Roads by Joe Moran, 2010

where he recounts how the M1 in UK had no speed limits in its early days. As the M1 settled down to sub-100mph speeds, the Daily Express motoring correspondent suggested that people "who are crying for speed limits are shouting through their sunshine roofs." Then, in 1964,racing driver Jack Sears tested his AC Cobra on the M1 at speeds over 180mph and that was sort of that and limits on the motorways settled down at 70mph. The book is a great read if a person is interested in cars and roads and history.

Tx Stig for the advice, yeh, I've chewed through the photos. In your opinion, for us not in Colombo, which one best shows the Colombo link end? Have you had a drive around there recently? Do you think that it's going to be a smooth interchange between expressway and suburban traffic roads. Be interested to hear your ideas on this. Cheer, Scooter.

Now highlevel road has been widened to 4 lanes from Pannipitiya to Makumbura(about 3 kms) entry point. Some construction work is still going on high level road. AFAIK Highlevel road will be widened from Kirulapona to Godagama in near future. As southern express way will be connected to outer circular highway all the flyovers, bridges, roads and etc in Makumbura are not completed yet. But construction work is progressing fast. I think entry roads to southern highway are temporary roads and they will be changed once the whole area is completed.

Just reading a fascinating book on Motorways:

On Roads by Joe Moran, 2010

where he recounts how the M1 in UK had no speed limits in its early days. As the M1 settled down to sub-100mph speeds, the Daily Express motoring correspondent suggested that people "who are crying for speed limits are shouting through their sunshine roofs." Then, in 1964,racing driver Jack Sears tested his AC Cobra on the M1 at speeds over 180mph and that was sort of that and limits on the motorways settled down at 70mph. The book is a great read if a person is interested in cars and roads and history.

Tx Stig for the advice, yeh, I've chewed through the photos. In your opinion, for us not in Colombo, which one best shows the Colombo link end? Have you had a drive around there recently? Do you think that it's going to be a smooth interchange between expressway and suburban traffic roads. Be interested to hear your ideas on this. Cheer, Scooter.

No i havent had a chance to take a drive but i saw some videos of it and took a little walk along it, doesn't look that bad though except for the fact that lanes are too narrow. And if present conditions are any indication i say its going to be a pain to get the vehicle from the highway to the high level near godagama :blink:

No i havent had a chance to take a drive but i saw some videos of it and took a little walk along it, doesn't look that bad though except for the fact that lanes are too narrow. And if present conditions are any indication i say its going to be a pain to get the vehicle from the highway to the high level near godagama :blink:

I went down to Galle and back on the southern highway in June. Drove mostly around 80 because there are workers walking on the road at certain points. The speed limit signs say 100Km/ph. The total length of the highway is about 90Km. So Galle would become a 45 minute drive. Most of it is complete except for the entrances and exits. The width of the lanes and everything else have been done to international specifications. There is a soft shoulder instead of a hard shoulder. Good in a way, because otherwise our Johnnies will want to drive on that as well. Expect frequent crashes during the first few months after the road is opened, as a result of drivers with zero highway experience trying to test the limits of their cars.

Photo 1 was taken south bound in the Taise section (not sure how they spell it).

Photo 2 was taken north bound in the least complete section, near Horana.

A few Km after the exit to Unawatuna the road abruptly ends. Beyond that is a grassy bund like section. Construction in the Mathara section has just started.

post-47959-046566400 1312308980_thumb.jp

post-47959-086461800 1312308999_thumb.jp

Tx, Stig. So the lanes may be a little narrow, eh? Do u know if there will be a "travel in the left lane" rule enforced? Great photos, Volvo, the expressway is sure travelling though some lovely country. Photo 2 seem to show that the road follows the contours. which will make for enjoyable driving. How did u manage to get a trip so early?

I went down to Galle and back on the southern highway in June. Drove mostly around 80 because there are workers walking on the road at certain points. The speed limit signs say 100Km/ph. The total length of the highway is about 90Km. So Galle would become a 45 minute drive. Most of it is complete except for the entrances and exits. The width of the lanes and everything else have been done to international specifications. There is a soft shoulder instead of a hard shoulder. Good in a way, because otherwise our Johnnies will want to drive on that as well. Expect frequent crashes during the first few months after the road is opened, as a result of drivers with zero highway experience trying to test the limits of their cars.

Photo 1 was taken south bound in the Taise section (not sure how they spell it).

Photo 2 was taken north bound in the least complete section, near Horana.

A few Km after the exit to Unawatuna the road abruptly ends. Beyond that is a grassy bund like section. Construction in the Mathara section has just started.

Interestingly the single lane picture does look good but the double lane part just looks a wee bit narrow dont you think ? sure its designed for only light vehicles but still :unsure:

Any idea if there are any speed cams installed ? also did you see any road lights ?

Interestingly the single lane picture does look good but the double lane part just looks a wee bit narrow dont you think ? sure its designed for only light vehicles but still :unsure:

Any idea if there are any speed cams installed ? also did you see any road lights ?

That Observer article says Buses, heavier vehicles and extra heavy vehicles. Should be fun getting stuck behind a container on the Highway, after paying a bloody toll to use the road too!

Also, for the things they mention in the article, speed cams would be a must.

Will we need to maintain a GPS map of traffic cams - like they do in UK, until they get savvy and start moving them around? :angry-smiley-048:

Well our guys noted all the cctv traffic cams as soon as they were installed and put up a map so whose to say we wont have a speed cam map on the highway soon :angry-smiley-048:

Well our guys noted all the cctv traffic cams as soon as they were installed and put up a map so whose to say we wont have a speed cam map on the highway soon :angry-smiley-048:

True dat!

How about a new traffic plan like galle road/duplication road? Southern highway to go south and galle road to go North? :P Make both one way.

I think I just found a solution for the traffic problem, over to you Mr. Minister.

Folks taking the freeway be cautioned of stalled vehicles middle of the road due to the superior petrol that most cars in SL cant handle.

How about a new traffic plan like galle road/duplication road? Southern highway to go south and galle road to go North? :P Make both one way.

I think I just found a solution for the traffic problem, over to you Mr. Minister.

Folks taking the freeway be cautioned of stalled vehicles middle of the road due to the superior petrol that most cars in SL cant handle.

See i dont know if you are joking or not :D

But it wont work cause the highway is suppose to charge us a fee and i dont think everyone would be willing to pay everyday irrelevant of how fast they go to work.