• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2Nd Hand Market Of The Hybrid Vehicles

bumblebee

Question

Im using a Toyota Axio.Wish to sell it and buy a new hybrid.But i wonder about its 2nd hand market.I've never heard of anyone using a second hand one..

In my opinion hybrid is more sophisticated and worth driving for its minimal fuel expenses.But on the otherhand its more like a computer and vulnerable to electronic damage and the battery is expensive;Further more, its said that long distance travel is not worthy than the short distance one.

The current gov budget proposal is more towards the supportin of the hybrids.So I hope more will be used in future and options would be available.

So is it worth to buy a hybrid regardless of the second hand value..?

I value your reply..

Bumblebee

Edited by bumblebee

If you're happy with your Axio, why do you want to go buy a hybrid now? Do the other hybrid drivers in the neighbourhood make fun of you?

On a serious note; Don't think too much about it. The logic/reasoning behind buying a axio and a prius (hybrid) isn't different at all. Ask yourself the same questions you asked before buying your Axio. You'll have the answer you need.

• Like 1

I think if you are planning to buy a hybrid then now is the time to buy a one, GOV still in the process of promoting them in Sri Lanka and once the trend line of hybrid is established the GOV will try to increase the TAX level to par with the normal petrol Tax level. Even at the moment 2nd hand market of petrol vehicles are falling rapidly due to the hybrid trend and once the AXIO hybrid come to the market the petrol market will go up side down and that will be the revolution point of migrating Petrol to Hybrid vehicles, The reason I see is, still lot of guys scared of buying a hybrid because all most all the famous hybrid cars in SL are specifically built for hybrid versions (ex:Insight/Prius/Aqua/Prius alpha/etc) but AXIO is the so called famous corolla vehicle in Sri lankan and once it turned in to hybrid all the corolla lovers will have to move in to hybrid world...

Since you are a Axio owner I think it's better to take a action before it's too late... Axio market is terribly dropped down and I have seen some axio in the market for as low as 3.1 million (2008 axio)... :sport-smiley-027:

...and this how you push people in to panic buying/selling situations... :)

My question is, how much of gas are you planning on saving in the long run? How much of running do you do? Is that cost worth the change?

Just because a Hybrid does well on petrol and if you don't run more than 1500kms a month, then it's a waste of a bigger investment, yes?

My advise is, if you have a perfectly good car, which the Axio is, why change? Just because everyone else is jumping on the Hybrid bandwagon?

My car does less than 6kmpl on a good day, and I do run a lot (2000kms+/month)... but after taking in to consideration the cost of a new hybrid, the insurance, the potential headaches, I have decided to stick with gas guzzlers for the time being.

Don't base your purchase decision on current trends, do it taking in to consideration your own income levels, expenditure and the practicality. If you don't run much, then there is no point in saving on gas, right?

• Like 9

Im using a Toyota Axio.Wish to sell it and buy a new hybrid.But i wonder about its 2nd hand market.I've never heard of anyone using a second hand one..

In my opinion hybrid is more sophisticated and worth driving for its minimal fuel expenses.But on the otherhand its more like a computer and vulnerable to electronic damage and the battery is expensive;Further more, its said that long distance travel is not worthy than the short distance one.

The current gov budget proposal is more towards the supportin of the hybrids.So I hope more will be used in future and options would be available.

So is it worth to buy a hybrid regardless of the second hand value..?

I value your reply..

Bumblebee

Keep the axio... take the bus on some days, that way you'll save petrol.

I think if you are planning to buy a hybrid then now is the time to buy a one, GOV still in the process of promoting them in Sri Lanka and once the trend line of hybrid is established the GOV will try to increase the TAX level to par with the normal petrol Tax level. Even at the moment 2nd hand market of petrol vehicles are falling rapidly due to the hybrid trend and once the AXIO hybrid come to the market the petrol market will go up side down and that will be the revolution point of migrating Petrol to Hybrid vehicles, The reason I see is, still lot of guys scared of buying a hybrid because all most all the famous hybrid cars in SL are specifically built for hybrid versions (ex:Insight/Prius/Aqua/Prius alpha/etc) but AXIO is the so called famous corolla vehicle in Sri lankan and once it turned in to hybrid all the corolla lovers will have to move in to hybrid world...

Since you are a Axio owner I think it's better to take a action before it's too late... Axio market is terribly dropped down and I have seen some axio in the market for as low as 3.1 million (2008 axio)... :sport-smiley-027:

fcuk me!! Are you some form of fortune teller? You seem to be able to make some pretty bold statements regarding the future. And don't you think you're overstating the 2nd hand prices of Axios? And if the market for Axios has "terribly dropped" don't you think it's a bad idea to ask the OP to sell his Axio? won't he be "terribly" loosing money on it?

For someone who didn't even know how to service his car 3 months ago you seem to have suddenly become the expert on the topic awfully fast!

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 3

Thanks for the creativity and thinking.

We all buy a car to sell it in a right time......So I might have to sell the hybrid to someone.I should sell it with a good heart without conning.

If i were offered to buy a 2nd hand hybrid,I would think on these lines....

1.Battery life:

Toyota says they will give the life time company warranty for the battery pack..10yrs or 100000 miles(160km).. .And no warranty for user defects..god knows what..it costs $3000-$5000 to replace a battery...and further says that the battery module replacement can be done for a lesser price.They are working on the Li-iron battery which would have an extended capacity but may be mor costly.

2.Sophisticated electric circuit failure: Which is unlikely but could be expected.

Its not to demean my Axio..but in sometime we have to go for the current trend...They say that in 2015 there will be a tipping point where the fuel prices at a stake and people might have to go for other options invariably...Gov might have focused on that aspect.

I think a lot among us go with the trend without doing a survey on it...data on hybrid 2nd hand market is pretty less.

Bumblebee.

Watchman -

Dude- I do not want to convince anyone to buy a hybrid..what I am trying to share is the observations I made before I buy a hybrid..you can take it if it's important or you can leave it that doesn't matter to me..it is very advisable and will be a great investment for Axio user to move in to a hybrid considering below facts-

01) Hybrid is the trend for next couple of years - Even toyota has mentioned that all the vehicles they manufacture after 2016 will be non petrol vehicles. And also they have introduce new 16 hybrid models to the market..and all the premio and allion will be hybrid in near future

02) Once the Axio hybrid comes to play petrol hybrid will have less value and that's the reality.It's not only that value drops down but also it will be hard enough to find a buyer for a axio since for that price range anybody find a good sedan hybrid.

03) 2nd hand market od petrol is already dropped down and you can clearly see it if you check the week end news paper adds, below are some Axio advertisement found-

****.lk/en/toyota-axio-x-grade-2007-for-sale-gampaha-1 - 2.9 million
****.lk/en/toyota-axio-2008-for-sale-kurunegala - 3.1 million
****.lk/en/toyota-axio-for-sale-colombo-302 - 3.3 million

these are few..if you check the newspaper you would know..and you know the price of new IST jeep model (2008) have dropped down to 3.1 million. Its not that the value of the vehicle is dropped its more likely that its harder to find a buyer for a petrol car which is around 3.5 milion.

04) Fuel consumption- I've had a petrol vehicle earlier and the fuel cost per month dropped down 50%.

05) Less maintenance cost - No difference in maintaining..same charges for full service.Oil changes less often.

06) Fear of battery and price- I have read that no hybrid battery has died even in Japan up to now and even it get damaged it's not the whole battery that need to replace..you can replace cells that has the issue..and also the battery prices also drops down gradually and you can find a hybrid battery for less than 100000Rs now and there are lot of Chinese and other batteries in the market.(They give 10 years warranty in japan)

07) Echo friendly - Hybrid use less gasoline so they give off less emissions

08) New technology and features - You can buy a car with all the latest features for a less price.

09) Hybrids are safer -Battery in a hybrid car is nickel laid instead of the lead acid battery that is found in petrol cars. The hybrid also require less gasoline. Because of these two factors there is less potential for there to be a disaster in the hybrid is in an accident.

You may hate hybrids but I cant help that..the same scenarios did happen in SL when "AUTO" gear cars introduced.

Well anyways....,If you buy a hybrid now ,after 2,3 years you will say you did the right thing. Anyway it's all up to you to decide and all I wanted to do was to share my ideas...

• Like 1

Watchman -

Dude- I do not want to convince anyone to buy a hybrid..what I am trying to share is the observations I made before I buy a hybrid..you can take it if it's important or you can leave it that doesn't matter to me..it is very advisable and will be a great investment for Axio user to move in to a hybrid considering below facts-

01) Hybrid is the trend for next couple of years - Even toyota has mentioned that all the vehicles they manufacture after 2016 will be non petrol vehicles. And also they have introduce new 16 hybrid models to the market..and all the premio and allion will be hybrid in near future

02) Once the Axio hybrid comes to play petrol hybrid will have less value and that's the reality.It's not only that value drops down but also it will be hard enough to find a buyer for a axio since for that price range anybody find a good sedan hybrid.

03) 2nd hand market od petrol is already dropped down and you can clearly see it if you check the week end news paper adds, below are some Axio advertisement found-

****.lk/en/toyota-axio-x-grade-2007-for-sale-gampaha-1 - 2.9 million
****.lk/en/toyota-axio-2008-for-sale-kurunegala - 3.1 million
****.lk/en/toyota-axio-for-sale-colombo-302 - 3.3 million

these are few..if you check the newspaper you would know..and you know the price of new IST jeep model (2008) have dropped down to 3.1 million. Its not that the value of the vehicle is dropped its more likely that its harder to find a buyer for a petrol car which is around 3.5 milion.

04) Fuel consumption- I've had a petrol vehicle earlier and the fuel cost per month dropped down 50%.

05) Less maintenance cost - No difference in maintaining..same charges for full service.Oil changes less often.

06) Fear of battery and price- I have read that no hybrid battery has died even in Japan up to now and even it get damaged it's not the whole battery that need to replace..you can replace cells that has the issue..and also the battery prices also drops down gradually and you can find a hybrid battery for less than 100000Rs now and there are lot of Chinese and other batteries in the market.(They give 10 years warranty in japan)

07) Echo friendly - Hybrid use less gasoline so they give off less emissions

08) New technology and features - You can buy a car with all the latest features for a less price.

09) Hybrids are safer -Battery in a hybrid car is nickel laid instead of the lead acid battery that is found in petrol cars. The hybrid also require less gasoline. Because of these two factors there is less potential for there to be a disaster in the hybrid is in an accident.

You may hate hybrids but I cant help that..the same scenarios did happen in SL when "AUTO" gear cars introduced.

Well anyways....,If you buy a hybrid now ,after 2,3 years you will say you did the right thing. Anyway it's all up to you to decide and all I wanted to do was to share my ideas...

Sounds suspiciously like "zee boy" is trying to guerilla market hybrids doesn't it?

bumblebee -

Regarding the 2nd hand market..Yes there is no solid 2nd hand market built yet for Hybrids..Anyway I think the SL 2nd hand market of vehicle is phasing out now..earlier people didnt have much choices other than the Toyota and Nissan so they could make their own market in SL, but now that monopoly is no more and you have lot of options to buy for a given price range..My first car was a FB 14 and at that time I didnt have much options other than the Toyota and Nissan cars..later on lot of vehicles introduced to the local market like Indian/Malaysian/Taiwan/Thailand/etc..now a person who tried to buy a FB 14 would buy a brand new Viva elite or a Indian Estilo...Likewise now people always have the option to buy a new car..I think looking at the budget GOV also intend to do so for some reasons..

newbie or not you have the same rights over there .. hence just read and understand without just being a narrow minded ..

Oh gee really? I didn't realize that, thank you SO much for educating me Mr chams! So where can I buy these awesome hybrids you and your friend "zee boy" are so enthusiastically promoting? Can you two get AL members a special discount?

Thanks for the creativity and thinking.

We all buy a car to sell it in a right time......So I might have to sell the hybrid to someone.I should sell it with a good heart without conning.

If i were offered to buy a 2nd hand hybrid,I would think on these lines....

1.Battery life:

Toyota says they will give the life time company warranty for the battery pack..10yrs or 100000 miles(160km).. .And no warranty for user defects..god knows what..it costs $3000-$5000 to replace a battery...and further says that the battery module replacement can be done for a lesser price.They are working on the Li-iron battery which would have an extended capacity but may be mor costly.

2.Sophisticated electric circuit failure: Which is unlikely but could be expected.

Its not to demean my Axio..but in sometime we have to go for the current trend...They say that in 2015 there will be a tipping point where the fuel prices at a stake and people might have to go for other options invariably...Gov might have focused on that aspect.

I think a lot among us go with the trend without doing a survey on it...data on hybrid 2nd hand market is pretty less.

Bumblebee.

#1. We "all" dont buy a car looking to 'sell at the right time' or to make money when selling it. Some people buy cars cos they need a more convenient way to get places, some buy/lease one to show their neighbors how fat thier wallets are, some people buy cars cos they enjoy driving them and some even buy them just to look at them. Yes there are people who buy them with the intention of making money off them, not ALL.

#2 Who says you have to go with current trends? What's wrong if you have decent car that serves your purpose which may not be the 'lastest'. If you're buying it out of vanity that's fine! Nothing wrong with it, just don't use BS excuses like 'trends', 'markets', 'government policies' and what not to justify it.

#3 If you honestly think that the government's taxation policies are done purely on 'potential global oil prices 3 years into the future' you ARE dilutional! If the price of crude goes up, the government will simply increase the price of price of petrol.

• Like 3

#1. We "all" dont buy a car looking to 'sell at the right time' or to make money when selling it. Some people buy cars cos they need a more convenient way to get places, some buy/lease one to show their neighbors how fat thier wallets are, some people buy cars cos they enjoy driving them and some even buy them just to look at them. Yes there are people who buy them with the intention of making money off them, not ALL.

#2 Who says you have to go with current trends? What's wrong if you have decent car that serves your purpose which may not be the 'lastest'. If you're buying it out of vanity that's fine! Nothing wrong with it, just don't use BS excuses like 'trends', 'markets', 'government policies' and what not to justify it.

#3 If you honestly think that the government's taxation policies are done purely on 'potential global oil prices 3 years into the future' you ARE dilutional! If the price of crude goes up, the government will simply increase the price of price of petrol.

- GOV oil bill is one of the biggest bill that SL GOV has to pay throughout the year.. they can reduce that bill by 50% if they promote hybrids..Oil is a global issue anyway

Edited by zee boy

What utter bloody rubbish these self appointed pundits come up with.

Petrol has additional tax on it from the pump, its used to subsidise diesel. Selling more petrol is a gain for the govt.

Only problem is, their own buffaloes are given it for free at the taxpayers expense. And the cars those buffaloes drive are NOT hybrids, bar the occasional Cayanne or Panamera. Mostly they will be Prado V8s and Mercs and BMs with big engines. That bill isn't coming down 50% no matter how many of you misguided nuts buy the Prius and Insight. And where the heck did you pull out a 50% reduction in fuel import number (in any or all sectors) from anyway? Somewhere where the sun don't shine?

If you wanna offer an opinion, preface it with "In My Opinion" instead of trying to act like you know something.

No... He is trying to tell the facts .. just read ..

Most of those are opinions, not facts.

I say, what were you smoking when you came up with this? There happens to be a normal battery in hybrids too, in addition to the battery for the electric drive. And whatever the gasoline requirement to move a distance, the car will have a similar sized fuel tank to a normal comparative car. So given that these two factors are the same, AND there is a big ass high voltage battery in the mix as well, exactly HOW did you come to this "less potential for there to be a disaster" theory?

Your logic is in need of some major work.

- GOV oil bill is one of the biggest bill that SL GOV has to pay throughout the year.. they can reduce that bill by 50% if they promote hybrids..Oil is a global issue anyway

Please be realistic. If you think policy makers here wants to reduce the country's oil bill for whatever the reason you are simply out of your mind. Remember, bigger the bill higher the commission. Don't you understand simple maths?

Oh gee really? I didn't realize that, thank you SO much for educating me Mr chams! So where can I buy these awesome hybrids you and your friend "zee boy" are so enthusiastically promoting? Can you two get AL members a special discount?

Seems .. you have not got a proper education. Hence now start realizing .. being a so called member for ages .. you seems don't know the rules of autolanka forums .. not promoting products or brands on these forums .. I'm sorry for your stagnated life .. and education .. try to read some more and explore ... u'll see a difference ..

Chams, please. Just argue the point here. Did your rant about supra add anything to your point?

Seems like you need to man up. Put your money where your mouth is, and brush up your English. This is not elakiri my boy.

The arguments here for hybrids crack me up. Are you guys living in the same Sri Lanka that I'm living in?

Edited by Komisiripala
  • Like 2

Chams, please. Just argue the point here. Did your rant about supra add anything to your point?

Seems like you need to man up. Put your money where your mouth is, and brush up your English. This is not elakiri my boy.

The arguments here for hybrids crack me up. Are you guys living in the same Sri Lanka that I'm living in?

Just read the thread and see who has started to talk out of the subject .. and you ppl who are very polish on Elnglish can continue .. Godaya is leaving ..

Seems .. you have not got a proper education. Hence now start realizing .. being a so called member for ages .. you seems don't know the rules of autolanka forums .. not promoting products or brands on these forums .. I'm sorry for your stagnated life .. and education .. try to read some more and explore ... u'll see a difference ..

My dear boy, hasn't anyone ever told you that calling people names doesn't help to promote any point you're trying to make?

On another note, do try to avoid lecturing me on rules of the forums ok? That might be a good course of action to follow.

My dear boy, hasn't anyone ever told you that calling people names doesn't help to promote any point you're trying to make?

On another note, do try to avoid lecturing me on rules of the forums ok? That might be a good course of action to follow.

ok Sajiv W.. noted ..

Sri Laka has a disproportionate amount of tuktuk drivers, bus drivers, security guards, Sirasa/Derana/Ranaviru SuperStars and self appointed Hybrid experts... :(

We seriously lack Engineers, doctors, lawyers (educated type, not the ambulance chaser type), conservationist, economists, etc.

All these key fields are served by the Hybrid pundits... ;)

• Like 1