• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Eps Not Working Properly In Nissan March K11(Yom-2002)

K11

Question

I have a NISSAN K11 year 2002 Auto model. I am having problems with the steering. It becomes really hard when parking (very slow speeds). I have try to get repaired this (Rack and column has replaced and cost me more than 50,000/- :sad-smiley-034: ) but failed. I cannot understand where the problem is. When I drive, the steering is alright but at low speed, it becomes very stiff. What could cause this? Dose Battery’s Ahr will effect for this? (Engine automatically accelerates slightly when this happen)

7 answers to this question

EPS indicator on?...

does your car have a fuse for EPS system, then check it.

If the car has any EPS motor protection system, it might be faulty.

or Alternator (or connections) might be faulty.

Edited by MV-5

I have a NISSAN K11 year 2002 Auto model. I am having problems with the steering. It becomes really hard when parking (very slow speeds). I have try to get repaired this (Rack and column has replaced and cost me more than 50,000/- :sad-smiley-034: ) but failed. I cannot understand where the problem is. When I drive, the steering is alright but at low speed, it becomes very stiff. What could cause this? Dose Battery’s Ahr will effect for this? (Engine automatically accelerates slightly when this happen)

K11,

Two early replies also consider.

About the alternator you get a Auto Electrician to check alternator is charging correct voltage at low R P M.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

K11, you have posted the same question 3 years back, have you being running the vehicle with the problem for last 3 years?

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/9008-nisan-k11-eps-problem/

I ones drove a friend’s K11 with EPS and it also had the same symptoms. The PS light would come on and the steering gets hard, also the engine sometimes stalled. I think the problem disappeared after he repaired the alternator.

You seem to have suffered a longtime with this problem. If that is the case and just to confirm if the problem is still with the alternator get your battery voltage checked under the following conditions. (EPS cuts off once the battery voltage comes below a preset value (Below 13V or so)). Get it checked with a voltmeter (analog one preferred if available) as follows.

1.After running for 10 minutes without stopping the car measure the battery voltage at idle, gear on D, brakes fully engaged and with AC and headlights off. You should get a reading above 13V. Note the reading.

2. Now while monitoring the voltage begin to turn the steering a bit faster all the way to one side. While doing this the voltage may momentarily come down (hence the preference to an analog meter but can manage with a digital one too) and as soon as the EPS cuts off, the engine revs would go up and the battery voltage would increase back to what it was before. So whoever monitoring it, has to watch the meter carefully. If this happens you have a problem with your alternator and if it is a long standing one it cannot be just the alternator brushes but could be the regulator.

If you do not observe any abnormality during the above test repeat the same with AC and headlights on. You can do it all by yourself if you have a meter and another person to turn the steering.

The OP could check the alternator as Rumesh sugested, but come to think of it, could he run the vehicle for 3 years with a bad alternator?

I too noticed your concern. That is why I began with the line "just to confirm if the problem is still..." etc. But there is a chance for an alternator failing to produce enough output at low revs and/or high loads but still go unnoticed for long periods particularly if you use the car regularly for daytime running. Of course if it is due to worn out brushes you cannot go for 3 years but a marginal problem with regulator or diode set can exist without being noticed. Since the EPS is sensitive to battery voltage better to do a simple test of it for there is nothing to lose.

Edited by Rumesh88