• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rear Windscreen Demister Connection Help!

The Don

Question

Hi guys,

I need some help.

While taking off the rear windscreen off to attend to some rust issues, a rookie mechanic has managed to break off the electrical connector attached to the rear demister matrix on the windscreen.

Its the connection you normally plug the electrical plug to, and now its attached to the connector and not attached to the windscreen anymore. This means the demister no longer works (obviously).

Now I checked online and there are a number of solutions listed, mostly reattaching it with conductive glue. Some glues seem to be better than others. The best one I found need to be imported down from US (thankfully the seller posts internationally) but like with anything there is no gurantee of success.

I wonder if anybody has had this issue resolved locally and what method they used.

And anybody you know who can repair this professionaly.

Thanks so much!

8 answers to this question

I know man. I'm surprised.

To be honest I guess the demister isn't much use in SL because of the warm weather so probably most don't notice when its broken. My car has such an effective air conditioner that the windows mist up from the outside early morning and late evening, making visibility very difficult. Its also useful in the rain.

So I straight away noticed when it wasn't working, and on closer inspection found the connector had detached from the glass. Needless to say I was very annoyed with whoever took that windscreen off, which had been on ever since the car rolled out of the factory. They must have pulled the glass out with the connector still on.

I can't replace the rear glass just for this, as its the original factory glass, so would very much like to get it fixed. Seems nobody has had any prior experience...........

Did a bit of reading up on Conductive Glue and it does seem to be a good solution for your issue. I don't think soldering the connector is an option because the excessive heat would probably damage the lamination.

As for the frequency of use of the demister, I too use it often - when raining and when the AC fogs up the rear windscreen.

I was referred to this by other forums. Seems to be the most succesful solution

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm?gclid=CITHpejZ5sQCFQjKtAodfE0ACQ

There are other conductive glues, even available retail from places like Halfords in the UK, but the feedback isn't that great. Thats why I thought to ask.

Ironically Sylvi might have a solution. Sometimes a bit of Sri Lankan old fasioned inginuity does help.

HC, if I bring this down, you can have the leftover to fix yours. I don't think it needs a lot of glue. (also fancy giving Sylvi a call?)

Edited by The Don

I was referred to this by other forums. Seems to be the most succesful solution

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm?gclid=CITHpejZ5sQCFQjKtAodfE0ACQ'>http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm?gclid=CITHpejZ5sQCFQjKtAodfE0ACQ

There are other conductive glues, even available retail from places like Halfords in the UK, but the feedback isn't that great. Thats why I thought to ask.

Ironically Sylvi might have a solution. Sometimes a bit of Sri Lankan old fasioned inginuity does help.

HC, if I bring this down, you can have the leftover to fix yours. I don't think it needs a lot of glue. (also fancy giving Sylvi a call?)

Thanks mate! That would be a great help. Let me know if you decided to bring it down.