• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Models Launched By Uml

Pericles

Was the engine in the Navara a success in Europe? I heard many are having trouble in SL

No, but Nissan along with Toyota and Mitsubishi were always popular in this sector (in fact they are the best selling vehicles). The new Navara is more spacious and better looking than the other offerings so a lot were bought initially in the early days. The problems started cropping up a few years after and mind you these vehicles do a lot of miles as they are often used by tradesmen. Now sales have slowed down considerably.

To add to this VW has come up with its own offering which is proving popular, and Isuzu has had a bit of a relaunch. So its not easy.

lol !! Another tough day at work for Pericles. What a life! Poor bugger.

But what's all this negativity surrounding Mitsubishi? Not sure what's going on in America and Europe; but I thought they were doing well in Asia, and isn't their truck / lorry division making money?

The Mitsubishi truck/lorry division is no longer owned by Mitsubishi. It was sold to Daimler AG. The Mitsubishi balance sheet was pretty good last year and the year before, but they have had a lot of bad years before that. The main problem they have is in Europe their 4WD vehicles do well but nothing else. The dealers are also few and far between.

The Mitsubishi truck/lorry division is no longer owned by Mitsubishi. It was sold to Daimler AG...

Wow! What a smart move by Daimler especially since Volvo's cornered the lion's share of that market in North America. I had no idea that's how the ownership was laid out. Thanks for that little nugget 'Don'. After your input I read up on it a bit and found a really good wiki entry for anyone else who might want to read up on it a bit.

Edited by Kavvz

Wow! What a smart move by Daimler especially since Volvo's cornered the lion's share of that market in North America. I had no idea that's how the ownership was laid out. Thanks for that little nugget 'Don'. After your input I read up on it a bit and found a really good wiki entry for anyone else who might want to read up on it a bit.

Yeah it was a smart move.

Traditionally in Europe, truck drivers do not like the forward control variety. They prefer the engine to be in front of them which gives them some protection but also they seem to be more stable on the motorway.

BUT they are well suited for European roads, some which are ancient and narrow, so I have noticed a trend towards them of late. At the same time they have always been popular in Asia and the US, both places the Mercedes sprinter trucks have not really cracked.

So I guess it makes perfect sense.

I think for Mitsubishi, it was an act of desparation to try to shore up their core business.

Volvo and Scania have both done much better after being sold off from their car divisions into their own companies. Mitsubishi Fuso trucks might follow suit. There is a tinge of sadness of course, as somebody who grew up watching our country move on Canters and Rosas, but these are the comercial realities I guess.

..... Mitsubishi Fuso trucks might follow suit. There is a tinge of sadness of course, as somebody who grew up watching our country move on Canters and Rosas, but these are the comercial realities I guess.

lol !! You read my mind Don! I grew up watching 4x4 Canters roar up and down muddy hills all day. I remember those things to be virtually unstoppable. Its eye opening that they got spun off and sold, but as you mentioned; if that's what it takes to keep the brand alive, then so be it; as that's much more preferable than having the brand splutter and die...

lol !! You read my mind Don! I grew up watching 4x4 Canters roar up and down muddy hills all day. I remember those things to be virtually unstoppable. Its eye opening that they got spun off and sold, but as you mentioned; if that's what it takes to keep the brand alive, then so be it; as that's much more preferable than having the brand splutter and die...

Mitsubishi are a group is probably one of the largest and strongest in Japan. Its just their car division along with other manufacturers who has had a torrid time.

They are in the process of building a medium range passenger jet. They also build the Japanese version of the F16 used by the JAF and are also building a Japanese fighter as the yanks refused to sell them the F22. They also built what was the finest carrier aircraft at that time the "Zero" during the second world war. The Yanks quickly caught up though.

No, but Nissan along with Toyota and Mitsubishi were always popular in this sector (in fact they are the best selling vehicles). The new Navara is more spacious and better looking than the other offerings so a lot were bought initially in the early days. The problems started cropping up a few years after and mind you these vehicles do a lot of miles as they are often used by tradesmen. Now sales have slowed down considerably.

To add to this VW has come up with its own offering which is proving popular, and Isuzu has had a bit of a relaunch. So its not easy.

Ah right! It was the same scene here, most people bought it over the Hilux and L200 cuz Navara had more bells and whistles along with a good looking interior

On the topic of trucks like an year ago I saw a truck it was either a new Canter or an Elf pull up Kadugannawa hill pretty fast, it probably was an empty truck but it was really fast for a truck. He was at least doing a good 50-60km/h when I overtook him

On the topic of trucks like an year ago I saw a truck it was either a new Canter or an Elf pull up Kadugannawa hill pretty fast, it probably was an empty truck but it was really fast for a truck. He was at least doing a good 50-60km/h when I overtook him

This bloody new generation can't differentiate between a canter and an elf.

During our times, canters were yellow. Elfs were blue. Thats how you detected them a mile away!

I sound like sylvi, don't I? :-)

• Like 2

This bloody new generation can't differentiate between a canter and an elf. During our times, canters were yellow. Elfs were blue. Thats how you detected them a mile away! I sound like sylvi, don't I? :-)

lol !!

Probably speeding home to the wifey after a couple of glasses of good Coconut toddy from Mawanella ;)

Edited by Kavvz