• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Premio

BMW3

Question

Hi Guys,

I own a Toyota Premio 2010 which i personally got down from japan, few months back the a/c started to give problems, The A/c suddenly stops working and it starts working again after few minutes, I went to Toyota Lanka and they changed a unit in the A/C stating that it is a small issuw which comes in premios and i got a bill around 20,000 LKR. Now after two months from the repair the problem had came up again.

Any ideas or any experiance from premio users?

Thanking in advance.

20 answers to this question

its common issue for 260 allion & premios..when u accelerate bit rough itz going to working again..most of the times itz because of a compressor problem(theres a valve )..may be you have to replace the compressor.or valve..if you had to replace the valve it will cost u around 15000/= if its compressor it will cost u around 100000/= (if its from toyota lanka 300000/=) but im suggesting you to replace the compressor with recon toyota 121 or 240 allion one.. (i had the same problem with my brothers 260 allion)

its common issue for 260 allion & premios..when u accelerate bit rough itz going to working again..most of the times itz because of a compressor problem(theres a valve )..may be you have to replace the compressor.or valve..if you had to replace the valve it will cost u around 15000/= if its compressor it will cost u around 100000/= (if its from toyota lanka 300000/=) but im suggesting you to replace the compressor with recon toyota 121 or 240 allion one.. (i had the same problem with my brothers 260 allion)

Never ever do that. 121 and 240 compressors are clutch driven and the 260 compressors are clutch-less variable displacement. 260 compressors tend to fail. When that happens some cheap asses bypass the electronics, gets a recon 121/240 compressor modifies it and fits it. Its larger compared to clutch-less compressor so will need some modifications. But believe me it won’t last long and will probably fall apart on the long run. Also it won’t give the same efficiency as the original compressor. So if the issue really is due to a failing compressor your best bet is to replace with a Jap recon 260 compressor. About a year ago, I replaced mine for 33,000/= including labour.

• Like 4

Never ever do that. 121 and 240 compressors are clutch driven and the 260 compressors are clutch-less variable displacement. 260 compressors tend to fail. When that happens some cheap asses bypass the electronics, gets a recon 121/240 compressor modifies it and fits it. Its larger compared to clutch-less compressor so will need some modifications. But believe me it wont last long and will probably fall apart on the long run. Also it wont give the same efficiency as the original compressor. So if the issue really is due to a failing compressor your best bet is to replace with a Jap recon 260 compressor. About a year ago, I replaced mine for 33,000/= including labour.

Same problem exists in my premio 260 and one of my friend's allion 260. ASROCK... could u please give me contact information of the AC repair center which provides the solution for this issue ?

Hi Guys,

I own a Toyota Premio 2010 which i personally got down from japan, few months back the a/c started to give problems, The A/c suddenly stops working and it starts working again after few minutes, I went to Toyota Lanka and they changed a unit in the A/C stating that it is a small issuw which comes in premios and i got a bill around 20,000 LKR. Now after two months from the repair the problem had came up again.

Any ideas or any experiance from premio users?

Thanking in advance.

Hi BMW, same issue exists in my premio and one of my friend's allion. I would like to know whether u recovered your system by now.. if so could you please let me know of?

Same problem exists in my premio 260 and one of my friend's allion 260. ASROCK... could u please give me contact information of the AC repair center which provides the solution for this issue ?

I'm posting the details here for every ones convenience. Mods please remove if this is against forum rules.

The place I've got the recondition compressor is Mistaire Services (pvt) Ltd.

48/A, Anagarika Dharmapala Mawatha, Dehiwala

0777 315 922 or 0112 761 613

The 33,500 is for the Compressor, filter, o-ring, ref.oil, vacuum, re-gas and labour, but that was about an year ago. According to BMW it has increased to about 40k. But first take your vehicle and inspect the AC system before getting a new compressor.

• Thanks 1

Hi , 

I also had the same kind of a problem in my Premio and got the compressor valve replaced by Toyota Lanka after paying Rs. 23,000. But got the problem again. Then I consulted Lalith Aircon at Maharagama who imports lot of auto Ac parts. He had the ND Japanese made compressor with the same part number for 60 K which I bought. altogether it cost me around 70 K.  Running ok for last  8 months now.

i had the same issue; but permenently resived by replacing the valve inside the  compressor which cost was 16k. place is snowline enterprises at Negombo. contact nomber is 0777306053. this place is known for last 13 years and they do repairs in professionally. i have got couple of repais in  corolla cars and premio cars i highly recommend the place.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:37 PM, Ranjith Pathirana said:

i had the same issue; but permenently resived by replacing the valve inside the  compressor which cost was 16k. place is snowline enterprises at Negombo. contact nomber is 0777306053. this place is known for last 13 years and they do repairs in professionally. i have got couple of repais in  corolla cars and premio cars i highly recommend the place.

Has the problem not re-occured after 3 months?

Edited by Malintha Alahakoon

Hi,

For Premio 2007 NZT260, when I inquired arround for the ac compressor, there were 2 types of compressors mentioned.

1. With a single sensor

2. With 2 sensors

Which one is required for the above?

Ps: I got to know about the ac issue recently at the last service done with the agents, and they are not revealing any part # 

Ant help is much appreciated 🙏 

I imported a brand new Toyota Premio car from Japan in 2014 (Manufactured in 2013).  This AC compressor defect happened to it in 3 years back and got it replaced with a reconditioned part (compressor plus solenoid). It is now defected again and what should be the best solution? Why this Japanese Toyota Company is silent on this great defect which seem to be a common problem for majority of Toyota Premeo Cars ? Aren’t they responsible at all ?

9 hours ago, Wasantha Jayatilake said:

I imported a brand new Toyota Premio car from Japan in 2014 (Manufactured in 2013).  This AC compressor defect happened to it in 3 years back and got it replaced with a reconditioned part (compressor plus solenoid). It is now defected again and what should be the best solution? Why this Japanese Toyota Company is silent on this great defect which seem to be a common problem for majority of Toyota Premeo Cars ? Aren’t they responsible at all ?

The root of understanding why is understanding that you technically did not buy a BRAND NEW car. You brought a car previously unused in Japan. It was registered to a Japanese entity (person or organization). Deregistered. and then exported to you. Deregistration can be done within a day so even if done within a day it gets recorded as a used car. Now, you are complaining about using a car in a place it wasn't intended for. All of Toyota's warranty obligations (for your Premio) are with the person who bought the car from the dealership whose name is on the registration papers to be used in the place it was sold in, i.e. Japan. Now some exporters actually act as a proxy and when something fails they get the parts from Toyota Japan as they are registered owners within Toyota Japan and do the repair...but those kinds of dealerships in SL soon run out of business.

Now, the AC compressor problem has been there across the board for many Toyota models from the era. Toyota used this type of compressor to improve fuel efficiency in models in Japan and some other cold regions. Only hitch is they are less durable in warmer climates where the AC is constantly used.

In Japan they were replaced under warranty if failed. For cars used in Japan the failure rate was not high enough (because AC doesn't get used that much) and also it took about 4 to 5 years for the error to come up that Toyota Japan didn't feel the need to start a mass recall.

Sadly, when you take a car outside of the market it was intended for the warranty ends. So you and your car are not covered.

Also, in the Japanese local market the Premio/Allion were not popular and hardly got sold since 2012/2013.   The common joke in the industry (in Japan) was that Toyota made the Premio/Allion to be sold to Africa and South Asia. Since 2013 till the end there were more cars bought brand new and exported to other countries than used in Japan.

So..Toyota never bothered fixing it because they did not come across any of these issues in high volumes because the cars were out of Japan. Whatever was within their responsibility did not fail that much.
Therefore, no need for a mass recall. Warrantied replacement sufficed. In most other models that had the same problem they improved the compressor and now they perform a bit better. Just that the Premio/Allion was an outdated model that sort of did not get the priority/urgency to fix these little niggles.

So sadly, although Sri Lankans feel the Premio/Allion is god's gift to motoring, the reality is that it is not a very modern car nor is it indestructible like the car sales people, brokers, and your neighbor's uncle's son-in-law who is doctor says it is.

The AC compressor is known to fail. The alternator is known to give faults. If the engine is not driven properly (i.e. driving like a snail in the interest of saving fuel) and not serviced regularly the engine will build up sludge. The CVT is known to fail.

In fact around 2010 and 2014 (ish) when the Premio/Allion was still in use in Japan; Toyota issued several recalls for cars manufactured before the recall release dates...one was the CVT issue (in 2009/2010), another was for the failure of a hydraulic regulator in the ABS module (in 2014).

So..sadly this is something you will have to deal with. It is your responsibility if you purchase/use a grey import. Sometimes the local agent is obligated to honor recalls but they don't always do that (in SL) or does it under certain conditions (unless it is a serious recall like the takata airbag rupture).

Sadly, when all these car importers and brokers sell you these cars (either used or unused in Japan) they don't advise buyers of these issues either. You cannot blame Toyota (other manufacturer) Japan and their official dealerships because they are technically selling the car to a Japanese person to use in Japan (in cases like yours the car would be registered and delivered to a car exporter in Japan). So in their eyes the car was sold in Japan..is getting used in Japan...and gets covered under the usual maintenance services for Japan. In fact for the first 3 or so years (until the 1st shaken period) I wouldn't be surprised if the Toyota dealership your car was bought at sent service notifications to the person who first bought the car (unless the deregistration is done through them or notified to them)

Edited by iRage

7 hours ago, Wasantha Jayatilake said:

Aren’t they responsible at all ?

No. Even if there was a recall in Japan you will not be eligible for it. The Premio falls under a 'grey import' category. For a vehicle to be even marked 'Brand new' in the Certificate of Registration it needs to be imported through the agent. Premio is a Japan domestic market car not intended to be used in Sri Lanka. So even if there is a recall Toyota or Toy#ta L#nka are not bound to provide you the free repair. Another instance was the Honda Fit GP1 - developed an oil leak issue which was recalled in Japan. The grey imported local cars were not eligible for the recall.  If you want an true 'brand-new' car you have to import it through the agents. Everything else is a grey-import and most of the time if things start going south you are on your own. 

1 hour ago, matroska said:

Even if there was a recall in Japan you will not be eligible for it

I wouldn't say it is always the case...but in most cases it is. We got the ribbon cable for the RAV4 replaced under recall. But we did have to pay for shipping. Also, if the recall is applicable across the board for a specific model irrespective of the market (e.g. as in the case of the RAV4...)