• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sat Nav (Gps) Help

Crosswind

Question

Hi Guys,

I would like to know if it is worthwhile buying a Satnav (Sala Prosat) ?

This is mainly for my better half who is not too familiar with some roads in Colombo. So the following are important:

• Voice navigation is a must
  • Should be a permanent fixture on the car
  • No need for info like points of interest

I was thinking using a phone permanently with a car. I got only Windows phones and I tried to use HereDrive App but it says it doesn't support navi for Sri Lanka.

What do you guys think? Is it worth investing on a sat nav this day and age (25k for the Prosat thing)? Are there any options other than the Sala crap?

Thanks in advance

Just use google maps. You don't have to worry about updating maps. Get a good phone holder and charger and you're done. When I was in the coutry in June, I relied on google maps to go everywhere including the east coast that I have never traveled before.

Does it? I couldn't get the voice navigation to work on Google maps on my iPhone while in SL, even though it works when I'm in the US. I thought it wasn't availabe for that region. Oh well...

Hmmm.... Used Google maps on iPhone few weeks back and voice navigation did work.

Google maps on an android phone is far better than the sala unit,

We bought a sala unit foe 25000 but after using the Google maps it was thrown away to a side,

The touch screen of the unit is rubish and takes an age to respond.

I use a Galaxy S5 and google maps work excellently,

But the pronunciation of sinhala words is a little hilarious.

• Like 1

Among all the good things about Google maps through a smart phone, I'd say there are minus points as well, like;

1. A smart phone screen is not originally designed to work continuously for hours. I've noticed the phone getting really hot when used for navigation for more than 15-20 min, so for long distances what I do is study the google map at home and learn the route, without keeping the phone screen on for the entire journey. because in long journeys you only have to remember a few turns.

The other way is to have the google maps working while the screen is turned off. You'll hear the voice commands when you approach a turn (provided your radio is not too loud), and that's all you need in most occasions.

2. Looking at a small phone screen every now and then distracts driving. Even though the phone is mounted on the windshield, the few seconds it takes for you to focus on the screen, read the map and focus back on the road is a dangerous game sometimes.

Workaround: if you have a passenger, let him / her read read the map and instruct you where to go.

• Like 2

I had actually used Garmin GPSs (not Sat Nav, just the GPS) about 8 years back when I was in radio transmission planning for a telco. Also I've used Garmin Sat Nav when I was in Oz few years ago, so when Davy mentioned about Garmin Sat Nav being available in Sri Lanka now, I was more than elated. Went to the Garmin showroom/office in Navinna and pulled the trigger on a Nuvi 55.

Cost was a hefty 23k but that's still less than the price of a Prosat and far below the price of a Dialog Sat Nav. Drove with the GPS for just 6km so far, from Navinna to home. Apart from the fact that the device is not user friendly (typical Garmin), everything seems to be bang on target.

Thanks for the input guys, especially Davy.

I'll post a full review after using it for a few days. Might be helpful for autolankans.

Okay, at risk of sounding ignorant: If Garmin works in SL why not buy one off Ebay? Its cheaper (a no frills version can be had for $US100) and now since the map upgrades are free, won't it just be a matter of carrying out the free map upgrade if it doesn't work out of the box?

Among all the good things about Google maps through a smart phone, I'd say there are minus points as well, like;

1. A smart phone screen is not originally designed to work continuously for hours. I've noticed the phone getting really hot when used for navigation for more than 15-20 min, so for long distances what I do is study the google map at home and learn the route, without keeping the phone screen on for the entire journey. because in long journeys you only have to remember a few turns.

The other way is to have the google maps working while the screen is turned off. You'll hear the voice commands when you approach a turn (provided your radio is not too loud), and that's all you need in most occasions.

2. Looking at a small phone screen every now and then distracts driving. Even though the phone is mounted on the windshield, the few seconds it takes for you to focus on the screen, read the map and focus back on the road is a dangerous game sometimes.

Workaround: if you have a passenger, let him / her read read the map and instruct you where to go.

And a smart phone is not suitable as a permanent navigation device too, the temperature inside the cabin can get really hot and the phone will fail prematurely .

as for you workaround, I would rather stop the car and look for directions myself than asking my wife to read the map :D

Edited by NRX
  • Like 3

I have seen a pic of a Premio with a iPad mounted to it permantly, it looked pretty dope. I'll try to get the pic

In SL? :speechless-smiley-003: Parking under the hot sun for long periods would be a big no no for the car then...

Must be the iPhone :P

Works great on mine. Has done for a long time.

I feel the British voice is better at the road name pronunciation, but it might just be me. I was using the default but the brit voice came on when I started using a new phone, quite nice.

Also, I'm not a heavy user of navigation, but I've never had any issues when using it even in remote areas. Signalwise. The only issue (Which I don't think is addressed in any system locally) is that it can't find a particular house number. But the info is crowd sourced so if people can be bothered, it might work. My house number can be found, since its updated on Google Maps ;)

Yes the default name pronunciation is funny. Can you please tell us how you switched to British accent? I want to give it a try.

Yes you are right, I think the current area that can be saved per map is 50km x 50km. That too if the amount of information in that particular area does not exceed a certain limit. If it does, the size will have to be reduced before saving. Importantly, I assumed that offline navigation is possible, but turns out it's not. Also, the saved maps will automatically be deleted from the phone in 30 days.

So Crishan was right. You do need an active data connection for navigation using Google Maps. I will edit my previous post. Sorry for the confusion.

No harm done. I was curios Google might allow voice assist to be downloaded along with the map. I learned a lot about map download feature from your post. Never knew about the exact limits of the map download and 30 day rules.

Okay, at risk of sounding ignorant: If Garmin works in SL why not buy one off Ebay? Its cheaper (a no frills version can be had for $US100) and now since the map upgrades are free, won't it just be a matter of carrying out the free map upgrade if it doesn't work out of the box?

Thats what I'm going to do, I may buy a refurbished nuvi 2597 LMT from ebay nexy week.

Yes the default name pronunciation is funny. Can you please tell us how you switched to British accent? I want to give it a try.

I think it came on from the normal phone settings. Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-Speech output -> Default Language Status in mine.

I dunno if it might be different for you, I'm running CM12.

I think it came on from the normal phone settings. Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-Speech output -> Default Language Status in mine.

I dunno if it might be different for you, I'm running CM12.

Many thanks Pericles.

I switched to UK. Will navigate and test.