• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Agents Or Other Car Sales?

sasika

Question

Hi guys,

Can you advise me on the better option out of the two below.

There is a 2014 Mercedes C200 lying on a car sale which has done about 2000km and there is the agents, D*mo, who has the C180 car for slightly lower price, and of course a 2015 made one.

On spec and feature list, the first one is miles ahead but the D*mo one carries the agents warranty for quite some time to come. So I am bit confused on which car to chose. Is it safe to go for the agents in this case? Drove both cars and both feel more or less the same, with the C200 being marginally more fun to drive.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Can you advise me on the better option out of the two below.

There is a 2014 Mercedes C200 lying on a car sale which has done about 2000km and there is the agents, D*mo, who has the C180 car for slightly lower price, and of course a 2015 made one.

On spec and feature list, the first one is miles ahead but the D*mo one carries the agents warranty for quite some time to come. So I am bit confused on which car to chose. Is it safe to go for the agents in this case? Drove both cars and both feel more or less the same, with the C200 being marginally more fun to drive.

Thanks in advance.

What's the price difference on the two cars? (And by 2014 I take it you mean the W204, not the W205?) If the 2014 C200 has only 2000km on it, then I doubt not having a warranty is going to be an issue, especially if its priced at a marked discount over the C180 that's at the dealership but having said that; personally I'd get the 2015 C-class (W205) over the W204 as its quite the head turner compared to the previous version.

The only the critique I have is over the stupid floating Nav / entertainment/ comand system that's suspended over the dash like some cheapo after market unit)

And did you look over the CLA as well? What did you think of that?

Edited by Kavvz

What's the price difference on the two cars? (And by 2014 I take it you mean the W204, not the W205?) If the 2014 C200 has only 2000km on it, then I doubt not having a warranty is going to be an issue, especially if its priced at a marked discount over the C180 that's at the dealership but having said that; personally I'd get the 2015 C-class (W205) over the W204 as its quite the head turner compared to the previous version.

The only the critique I have is over the stupid floating Nav / entertainment/ comand system that's suspended over the dash like some cheapo after market unit)

The W205 came out in 2014 June.

@sasika; ask yourself whether you want all those options or whether you'd like something that suits our market and has all the needed options. Performance wise it would be a difference of only 29hp. Sorry that's all I can tell you as it will be against the forum rules.

@sasika; ask yourself whether you want all those options or whether you'd like something that suits our market and has all the needed options. Performance wise it would be a difference of only 29hp. Sorry that's all I can tell you as it will be against the forum rules.

^^Like he said, i bet the first one would be a UK speced one. in that case if i were you, would chose the Agents options which were meant for our conditions.

• Like 1

Both are W205s.. I think Infotainment is more of a personal choice. I love the system on C class. CLA is good as well, but prefer the W205 over some reason I don't know ;). The C200 has one more year of warranty while the other will have 2 years.

Yeah the one offered by the agents is much more sensible it seems. Don't think lowered suspension of the AMG line C200 would suit our roads as well. Thank you so much for pointing that out. :)

Both are W205s.. I think Infotainment is more of a personal choice. I love the system on C class. CLA is good as well, but prefer the W205 over some reason I don't know ;). The C200 has one more year of warranty while the other will have 2 years.

Is the C200 agent imported? If not how come the warranty?

Is the C200 agent imported? If not how come the warranty?

It has the UK warranty and I don't think it will be of any use here.. That's what the sale guy told me. I can get agents warranty but then I have to pay 500k to register the car wth them which im not really keen on doing. So maybe it will be agents after all :)

What exactly do you mean by: "whether you'd like something that suits our market"? Other than the fact that the C180 at the agents has less options specified, its probably not materially different from the C200 at the non-agent location. Do the cars at the agents have any other options or changes to the car that are country specific?

Edited by Kavvz

It has the UK warranty and I don't think it will be of any use here.. That's what the sale guy told me. I can get agents warranty but then I have to pay 500k to register the car wth them which im not really keen on doing. So maybe it will be agents after all :)

1.Well what's the price difference between the two cars? You say that "On spec and feature list, the first one (the AMG trimline C200) is miles ahead" so then are the options on the car worth more than 500k to you?

2. You mentioned that the car at the non-agent location(the C200) has an AMG trimline package, and you said you are worried about the ride height: But the AMG trimline only lowers the car by 15mm. In Colombo and on the typical suburban residential street outstation there shouldn't any considerable difference between the two cars... Besides since this will be your second car / third car regardless of whether its an AML trimline or not, its likely this car won't be driven on any excessively potholed roads on a regular basis anyway...

3. So in essence what I'm trying to say is: Really don't let any one scare you off from buying the car you want. If you feel that the car at the agents is better go for it. If you'd rather play it safe and buy from the agents, again fine-Do so. But if you're buying from the agents solely because of agent scare tactics / letting others prejudice your decision you should take a step back and reconsider. (IMHO It really depends on what the options on the car total up to and whether all of that is worth the additional 500k to you. I'm sure if it comes to it, you can point out the 500k registration fee that the agents would charge you and get an additional discount from the car sale.)

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

1.Well what's the price difference between the two cars? You say that "On spec and feature list, the first one (the AMG trimline C200) is miles ahead" so then are the options on the car worth more than 500k to you?

2. You mentioned that the car at the non-agent location(the C200) has an AMG trimline package, and you said you are worried about the ride height: But the AMG trimline only lowers the car by 15mm. In Colombo and on the typical suburban residential street outstation there shouldn't any considerable difference between the two cars... Besides since this will be your second car / third car regardless of whether its an AML trimline or not, its likely this car won't be driven on any excessively potholed roads on a regular basis anyway...

3. So in essence what I'm trying to say is: Really don't let any one scare you off from buying the car you want. If you feel that the car at the agents is better go for it. If you'd rather play it safe and buy from the agents, again fine-Do so. But if you're buying from the agents solely because of agent scare tactics / letting others prejudice your decision you should take a step back and reconsider. (IMHO It really depends on what the options on the car total up to and whether all of that is worth the additional 500k to you. I'm sure if it comes to it, you can point out the 500k registration fee that the agents would charge you and get an additional discount from the car sale.)

price difference is 600k plus registration charges ( 400k+50k for permit transfer fee+ 60k for semi luxury). So it comes up to about 1 million. At agents, the total price is inclusive of all those. The really useful options would be the AIRMATIC suspension, Distronic plus which don't come in the agent's car. yeah probably ride height won't be an issue I guess

price difference is 600k plus registration charges ( 400k+50k for permit transfer fee+ 60k for semi luxury). So it comes up to about 1 million. At agents, the total price is inclusive of all those. The really useful options would be the AIRMATIC suspension, Distronic plus which don't come in the agent's car. yeah probably ride height won't be an issue I guess

What? The C200 has air suspension? Does it have the new LED light system on it too? I didn't even know that air suspension was an option on the C-class, (this must be new for the W205) but as far as I'm concerned that's a slam dunk for the C200 right there!

Plus having MB's air suspension means the car can be raised up on demand by around 50mm (not sure if its the same for the C class) when needed so the road clearance issue negates itself.

The only question is the extra 10 lakhs, but if the money's no big deal then: Let that trigger finger do what it was made to do...

Edited by Kavvz

What? The C200 has air suspension? Does it have the new LED light system on it too? I didn't even know that air suspension was an option on the C-class, (this must be new for the W205) but as far as I'm concerned that's a slam dunk for the C200 right there!

Plus having MB's air suspension means the car can be raised up on demand by around 50mm (not sure if its the same for the C class) when needed so the road clearance issue negates itself.

The only question is the extra 10 lakhs, but if the money's no big deal then: Let that trigger finger do what it was made to do...

It was always about the W205 dude. Ah u need to be updated ;) Even agent's specs has the LED intelligent light system.. W205 is fully loaded now.. almost all s class options are in there.. Adaptive suspension is standard

It was always about the W205 dude. Ah u need to be updated ;) Even agent's specs has the LED intelligent light system.. W205 is fully loaded now.. almost all s class options are in there.. Adaptive suspension is standard

Yeah wow. Some major changes!

Okay well if adaptive air suspension is standard now on the W205 and is common to both cars, that switches everything around in the favour of the car at the agents as really the distronic plus will stay off 99% of the time.

The only options that get used all the time are the rain sensing wipers, and light sensing headlights along with the parking sensors. And out of these only the parking sensors are extra. (Parking sensors/ parktronic, keyless go and memory seats can be added on for 10 lakhs or less (I think a combination of that gets added on when you spec one or the other anyway for less) and even if you don't get it them (IMO) unlike air suspension they aren't game changes...

So this evens up both your cars. And as the 10 lakhs you save with the C180 option is about 4-5 years of maintenance costs, (IMO) you might as well go with that all other things being equal....

Yeah wow. Some major changes!

Okay well if adaptive air suspension is standard now on the W205 and is common to both cars, that switches everything around in the favour of the car at the agents as really the distronic plus will stay off 99% of the time.

The only options that get used all the time are the rain sensing wipers, and light sensing headlights along with the parking sensors. And out of these only the parking sensors are extra. (Parking sensors/ parktronic, keyless go and memory seats can be added on for 10 lakhs or less (I think a combination of that gets added on when you spec one or the other anyway for less) and even if you don't get it them (IMO) unlike air suspension they aren't game changes...

So this evens up both your cars. And as the 10 lakhs you save with the C180 option is about 4-5 years of maintenance costs, (IMO) you might as well go with that all other things being equal....

The C200 has the ride height control while agent car does not. Yeah distronic plus and lane keeping assist systems aren't the most practical ones in these roads I guess (except collision avoidance). But auto headlamps vipers all are there.. Simply put to words, the car agents give is the Avantgarde line. 17" wheels and stuff.. Yeah I am settled for the agents car by now.. Will be confirming soon :)

These are the C180 spec highlights

Adaptive brakes

9 Airbags

Attention assist

Semi electric front seats

Direct steer system

ESP

Reverse camera with active guide lines

7Gtronic plus

cruise control

Thermatic A/C with cooling booster

ECO start stop

Agility select

adaptive brake lights

interior lighting package

17" twin spoke Alloy wheels with RFT tyres

what the C200 has in extra are the electronic driver aid that are there in the S class.

FYI: Okay I just checked MB global for the specs on the new C-Class and for the 2016 W205 (which is the model they are currently selling)

Air suspension (or agility control as they are now calling it) is standard but the LED lights are not. LED daytime running lights are standard but those are coupled w regular halogens unless the lighting package is specified.

Blind spot assist, adaptive braking, keyless go, memory seats and exit / entrance assist steering column all seem to be standard which is pretty nice as they made you pay extra for all of that before. Parking sensors sadly are still extra. See the online PDF for reference (I just glanced through it, so there's probably stuff that I missed as I was primarily looking for the LED lights and Air suspension info).

But the above post still stands as since the car being offered to you at the agents has the LED lighting option as well as the now standard air suspension.

FYI: Okay I just checked MB global for the specs on the new C-Class and for the 2016 W205 (which is the model they are currently selling)

Air suspension (or agility control as they are now calling it) is standard but the LED lights are not. LED daytime running lights are standard but those are coupled w regular halogens unless the lighting package is specified.

Blind spot assist, adaptive braking, keyless go, memory seats and exit / entrance assist steering column all seem to be standard which is pretty nice as they made you pay extra for all of that before. Parking sensors sadly are still extra. See the online PDF for reference (I just glanced through it, so there's probably stuff that I missed as I was primarily looking for the LED lights and Air suspension info).

But the above post still stands as since the car being offered to you at the agents has the LED lighting option as well as the now standard air suspension.

Yup they offer the LED package as well.. The car is not the standard one... It's the Avantgarde plus some added extra options. So a good deal I guess

The C200 has the ride height control while agent car does not.

Interesting as the ride height control was an integral part of the older air suspension system. I guess the new system is completely different then and the older car (the C200 may have the older system?) Probably a good thing it got changed out as the older air suspension I'm referencing does has some (cold weather climate) maintenance issues. Eitherway its pretty awesome that air suspension is now standard along with a lot of the safety equipment equipment.

what the C200 has in extra are the electronic driver aid that are there in the S class.

I guess you mean the

INTELLIGENT DRIVE PACKAGE

Advanced Driving Assistance Package

DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist

DISTRONIC PLUS ...

>?

I seriously doubt that's a benefit as it will stay off 99% of the time.

I'm not familiar with it but reading through the description on the spec sheet it sounds like there is way you can drive with that activated on our roads (sans road lane markings and for the most part formal lanes etc. Plus as soon as you have a tuk-tuk or motorbike cutting in, getting to close to you which is pretty much all the time, you'll have the brakes slamming on...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Interesting as the ride height control was part of the older air suspension system...

I guess you mean the

INTELLIGENT DRIVE PACKAGE

Advanced Driving Assistance Package

DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist

DISTRONIC PLUS ...

>?

I seriously doubt that's a benefit as it will stay off 99% of the time.

I'm not familiar with it but reading through the description on the spec sheet it sounds like there is way you can drive with that activated on our roads (sans road lane markings and for the most part formal lanes etc. Plus as soon as you have a tuk-tuk or motorbike cutting in, getting to close to you which is pretty much all the time, you'll have the brakes slamming on...

yep.. but the most missed one will be the adaptive cruise control which can drive the car itself in bumper to bumper traffic. Would love to have that in colombo :D nevertheless, I too feel the agents car is the better deal in the long run. Planning to keep the car for some time to come..

Yup they offer the LED package as well.. The car is not the standard one... It's the Avantgarde plus some added extra options. So a good deal I guess

Yes, all things considered it does seem like the better deal between the two options. The only flaw I see are the run flat tyres- A pretty stupid option for our roads, but there's not much you can do other than swap them out..

Edited by Kavvz

Yeah, all things considered I think its the better deal too.

The only flaw I see are the run flat tyres- A pretty stupid option for our roads, but there's not much you can do other than swap them out..

I used two sets of Pirelli in the X1 and they are so good.. Good grip and soft, unlike Bridgestones which are really bumpy as I heard. I'm wishing the car I get would come with Pirellis or Michealin. I saw Continental in the showroom car..

I used two sets of Pirelli in the X1 and they are so good.. Good grip and soft, unlike Bridgestones which are really bumpy as I heard. I'm wishing the car I get would come with Pirellis or Michealin. I saw Continental in the showroom car..

Did the X1 come with runflats as well? The runflats have pretty stiff sidewalls, and you'll notice the difference / increased ride comfort as soon as you swap them out. Where we live the roads are not the best and runflats are a really bad option- I think this is true for most of SL, so its strange the agent doesn't offer a more localized solution / option on the cars that are shipped with RFT...But perhaps Gummybr can pull some strings and get the RFT's off your car in-exchange for some regular continentals before you ink the deal... ;)

Edited by Kavvz

Did the X1 come with runflats as well? The runflats have pretty stiff sidewalls, and you'll notice the difference / increased ride comfort as soon as you swap them out. Where we live the roads are not the best and runflatswere a really bad option, and I think this is true for most of SL, so its strange the agent doesn't offer a more localized solution / option on the cars that are shipped with RFT...But perhaps Gummybr can pull some strings and get the RFT's off your car in-exchange for some regular continentals before you ink the deal... ;)

Yup it did. I quite like the RFTs cz once I was doing 150+ in katu expy( not good I know ;) ) and right rear punctured due to some metal part. Didnt lose control at all and was kinda saved. I think it would've been far worse if the tyre failed and went down to the rim.. Well if I get rid of them before the car arrives, will it be equipped with a spare or just the air compressor?

Yup it did. I quite like the RFTs cz once I was doing 150+ in katu expy( not good I know ;) ) and right rear punctured due to some metal part. Didnt lose control at all and was kinda saved. I think it would've been far worse if the tyre failed and went down to the rim.. Well if I get rid of them before the car arrives, will it be equipped with a spare or just the air compressor?

Wow? No kidding? That's a pretty pro-argument for run flat's and I guess that's why most cars now come RFT's I guess...But then again I've never had any major blow outs at high speeds like that at all...And I've had a daily driver for a good 8 years or so now, so I guess it comes down to driving habits / need for safety and individual preference.

To answer your question: You won't get a spare as the car is spec'd for RFT's but as the complimentary air compressor fits inside the tool compartment / first aid compartment that will always be there. And I'm not sure the agents will offer you a discount even if you switch to regular tyres but as the primary motivation behind buying this car (I'm guessing) is comfort its an option worth exploring, especially if this car isn't really going to be on the highway that much. If that's the case, you may want to consider asking Gummybr or any other sales staff member at the agents if they can pull some strings and get you a different tyre option before you pick up your car.

Edited by Kavvz