• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steerign Wheel Srs Airbag Sensor Failure After Wheel Alignment

andunslg

Question

Hi,

When I did the regular service, service station did a OBD2 port based sensor scan. Then they showed me that SRS airbag sensor is failing in steering wheel. They assumption was this can happen due to wrong wheel alignment. I did a wheel alignment recently.

Can that be true?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Hi,

When I did the regular service, service station did a OBD2 port based sensor scan. Then they showed me that SRS airbag sensor is failing in steering wheel. They assumption was this can happen due to wrong wheel alignment. I did a wheel alignment recently.

Can that be true?

Thanks

yes , but as i know it won't be from the first time, too many loonie attempts will cause this, i'm not sure about the sensor it could be your air bag ribbon, i assume your horn isn't working properly either?

I doubt the airbag mechanism is affected simply because a wheel alignment is done. But if your steering wheel needed to be disconnected from the power steering rack for some reason, it might have freely spun because they didn't lock the steering before disconnecting it. If this happened, the clock spring mechanism (ribbon) might have been damaged as tuner88 said above.

On vehicles with a driver's airbag, it is absolutely critical to lock the steering wheel when a front suspension repair is being done. The airbag, horn etc. on the steering are connected to the column through a clock spring which can only spin a few times in either direction (with the steering wheel). This means even the slightest misalignment of the steering and the rack can cause damage to the ribbon when the steering reaches full lock.

You should take your car to a good mechanic and have them inspect the clock spring and connectors. If the clock spring is damaged, then it will have to be replaced. Repair is not recommended. Please note that this is just one possibility - and the most likely.

• Like 2

Guys,

in my FB15 horn suddenly started working while driving. Gurage says need to replace the steering wheel due to plastic contactors inside have worn out and cracked with time. Do I have any alternative methods to fix it out without replacing the steering wheel?

Thanks

Guys,

in my FB15 horn suddenly started working while driving. Gurage says need to replace the steering wheel due to plastic contactors inside have worn out and cracked with time. Do I have any alternative methods to fix it out without replacing the steering wheel?

Thanks

Not sure of the design on the FB15, but you can usually replace only the clock spring, without replacing the entire steering wheel assembly.

Not sure of the design on the FB15, but you can usually replace only the clock spring, without replacing the entire steering wheel assembly.

Thanks Davy, I was also thinking the same. I will go to a good mechanic after these holidays.