• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Prius 3Rd Gen Market Price

Autogeek

Home work,no makabaas,like buying old Euros. I think you are getting closer to my point,mate.

P.s: Makabaas is for any regular garage in polonnaruva,where the 25year old 121 owner goes for repairs. You see new hybrids in outstations yes, but very few older ones(2nd Gen for example) I say as someone from outstation,with a better perspective on the local garages and buyers.

Home work,no makabaas,like buying old Euros. I think you are getting closer to my point,mate. P.s: Makabaas is for any regular garage in polonnaruva,where the 25year old 121 owner goes for repairs. You see new hybrids in outstations yes, but very few older ones(2nd Gen for example) I say as someone from outstation,with a better perspective on the local garages and buyers.

I'm no where near your point. I just nullified your point, yet you drivel on. There are no major differences amongst the various Toyota HSDs, the principal mechanics are the same some varying nuances for each iteration, therefore that point is moot as well. People just want a newer car that's all.

Home work,no makabaas,like buying old Euros. I think you are getting closer to my point,mate. P.s: Makabaas is for any regular garage in polonnaruva,where the 25year old 121 owner goes for repairs. You see new hybrids in outstations yes, but very few older ones(2nd Gen for example) I say as someone from outstation,with a better perspective on the local garages and buyers.

so what do you think will happen to them hybrids in the outstations as they gradually age? be sold off to people in Colombo?

People just want a newer car that's all.
exactly why a buyer with 3million budget will go for a new indian Suzuki(celerio is same price?) instead of a 10year old Prius .

@Matroska: The same fate of a old Euro. The third or fourth owner will have to bear the burden of major repairs and maintenance. After all that money spent,he will still not get a good price when selling.But we have way too many hybrids now,compared to Euro s.At least euro owners enjoyed driving the car they like,but I doubt very few hybrid owners have a better reason than to save the $$ on fuel. As Bubi said the oversupply will make the hybrid used market to crash.

Edited by RViji
  • Like 1

Lol, an inverter failed due to negligence? What are the specific guidelines you have to follow to protect your inverter? It is not even a serviceable part(,do you know what is an inverter?) parts are not made to "simply" fail. ELECTRONIC PARTS fail when they are used outside their specified environment and assumed use conditions AFAIK.

The Inverter failed at 19,000 km and it's probably a manufacturing fault. Any 6 sigma company would be have 4-5 defects for 1 M products so no need to worry. There are enough Aquas done more than 100,000 km without any issue in other countries and even few in SL.

Environment is not much issue as Prius C (international variant of Aqua) has manufactured for all whether conditions which is sharing same engine and transmission.

Edited by gayanath

so what do you think will happen to them hybrids in the outstations as they gradually age? be sold off to people in Colombo?

They will have to be sold to scrap if not change the engine to a IC type.

The Inverter failed at 19,000 km and it's probably a manufacturing fault. Any 6 sigma company would be have 4-5 defects for 1 M products so no need to worry. There are enough Aquas done more than 100,000 km without any issue in other countries and even few in SL.

Environment is not much issue as Prius C (international variant of Aqua) has manufactured for all whether conditions which is sharing same engine and transmission.

You don't get the point.

1) Hybrid inverters going to fail eventually.

2) Replacing a brand new one will cost around 1.5 mil

3) Replacing a recon one will cost less but they will not be reliable (still the replacement cost will be more than 5 laks)

4) Therefore buying a old hybrid will be like burning away your money

5) So, the demand for the hybrids will fade away and the hybrid market will be crashed

Still in Sri Lankan market we haven't experience trouble with hybrids because the majority of the hybrids are imported after 2009 or so. I think many will bear witness to the fact that how hard it is to sell older 2 gen prius hybrids. That fate awaits for the 3rd gen hybrids also when they get old.

The issue hear is not about when the hybrid fails. The issue is what our Sri Lankan car buyers will do when hybrids fail.

@ Bubi: Inverter will cost 1.6lakhs(not mill) "new" from Singapore with just 1year warranty. I think the conversion to ICE is also not practical,considering of the dozens of error messages it will show on dashboard.

Edited by RViji

@ Bubi: Inverter will cost 1.6lakhs(not mill) "new" from Singapore with just 1year warranty. I think the conversion to ICE is also not practical,considering of the dozens of error messages it will show on dashboard.

I stand corrected mate.... :sad-smiley-067:

You don't get the point.

1) Hybrid inverters going to fail eventually.

2) Replacing a brand new one will cost around 1.5 mil

3) Replacing a recon one will cost less but they will not be reliable (still the replacement cost will be more than 5 laks)

4) Therefore buying a old hybrid will be like burning away your money

5) So, the demand for the hybrids will fade away and the hybrid market will be crashed

Still in Sri Lankan market we haven't experience trouble with hybrids because the majority of the hybrids are imported after 2009 or so. I think many will bear witness to the fact that how hard it is to sell older 2 gen prius hybrids. That fate awaits for the 3rd gen hybrids also when they get old.

The issue hear is not about when the hybrid fails. The issue is what our Sri Lankan car buyers will do when hybrids fail.

If you need to know the market price, please read the post no 22 and 23.

I don't know from where you both guys (BuBi & Rjivi) came from.......

Despite of given crystal clear facts, figures and information (including market prices, values, the differences, the similarities, technology improvements in both hybrids and non hybrids, reliability information, etc) by others, still telling same story....... :speechless-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-004:

No point of continuing this with you. Both you and we will not learn anything new from this...

• Like 2

If you need to know the market price, please read the post no 22 and 23.

I don't know from where you both guys (BuBi & Rjivi) came from.......

Despite of given crystal clear facts, figures and information (including market prices, values, the differences, the similarities, technology improvements in both hybrids and non hybrids, reliability information, etc) by others, still telling same story.......

Hehe not even those who designed the system would know as much as you. you are genius quoting from internet. And you are saying current 3rd gen price is 4.6 million because your friend bought one with"low " mileage 60,000 km. The only reason why 3rd gen price got a short boost is fue to the tax hike.but as cars age,the tax becomes less relevant. And because your friend(again) changed the hybrid inverter for 1.6lakh, the complete hybrid HSD,inverter and battery will be available as kadapu badu in watta for 1.5lakh with best quality like a cv joint.:-p

We are talking about the future trend based on current 2nd gen market price and resaleablity.these are facts. With the 4th gen coming already, we assume that the 3rd gen will also face the same fate of 2nd gen.to say otherwise would be...stupid.

I have seen a Prius in Kurunegala (In fact 2nd Generation Prius) 2007 model bought from Japan in 2011 when clock stated 118k kms and now 450k kms after five years. Battery is charging fine and he has only replaced the water pump and shocks for last 5 years. He's a daily long distance runner and really happy with his car and he maintains it on time. Wait for another 1 year and see whether you could see people who have 2nd gen Prius replacing batteries and inverters or not. Still it's too early to predict about this. This was the same situation when auto gears came into market. I think some Sri Lankans would prefer to stay in ancient times without going forward and proudly talking about Ravana's Dandumonaraya.

• Like 2

I have seen a Prius in Kurunegala (In fact 2nd Generation Prius) 2007 model bought from Japan in 2011 when clock stated 118k kms and now 450k kms after five years. Battery is charging fine and he has only replaced the water pump and shocks for last 5 years. He's a daily long distance runner and really happy with his car and he maintains it on time. Wait for another 1 year and see whether you could see people who have 2nd gen Prius replacing batteries and inverters or not. Still it's too early to predict about this. This was the same situation when auto gears came into market. I think some Sri Lankans would prefer to stay in ancient times without going forward and proudly talking about Ravana's Dandumonaraya.

Yes,we hear similar stories about Toyotas and Merc diesels that keep running over 500k. That's not the point. How much will your friend get if he sells his 2nd gen Prius today? Or he is forced to keep it for coming years because he wants to or because he can't get the price he is expecting?

This was the same situation when auto gears came into market. I think some Sri Lankans would prefer to stay in ancient times without going forward and proudly talking about Ravana's Dandumonaraya.

Nice saying...

Even, proud talks about Ravana's Danumonaraya is justifiable as it's our product. Don't know why people are that much proud about foreign old products. :music-smiley-009:

Edited by gayanath

Nice saying...

Even, proud talks about Ravana's Danumonaraya is justifiable as it's our product. Don't know why people are that much proud about foreign old products. :music-smiley-009:

There's nothing wrong about using an old car proudly. There's a certain charm to keeping a somewhat older car in good nick.

Quite a lot of us here were unconvinced when the Japanese hybrids started flooding SL roads a while back and we've had the very same arguments several times over. But the technology is maturing quite fast and it is doubtful that the market will "crash". If maintenance and upkeep is on point, a hybrid will manage to fetch a decent price down the line; much like any other car. But one needs to understand that the days of buying a car for 800K and getting 900K after two years of use are behind us.

Full disclosure, I don't own a hybrid. But that's because I can't afford the hybrids I want :D

• Like 2

ÃÂ

There's nothing wrong about using an old car proudly. There's a certain charm to keeping a somewhat older car in good nick.

ÃÂ

Quite a lot of us here were unconvinced when the Japanese hybrids started flooding SL roads a while back and we've had the very same arguments several times over. But the technology is maturing quite fast and it is doubtful that the market will "crash". If maintenance and upkeep is on point, a hybrid will manage to fetch a decent price down the line; much like any other car. But one needs to understand that the days of buying a car for 800K and getting 900K after two years of use are behind us.

ÃÂ

Full disclosure, I don't own a hybrid. But that's because I can't afford the hybrids I want :D

This is interesting. Hoonigan,If you don't mind, just tell us what are the hybrids you want that you can't afford. :D Edited by sathyajithj99

A aah. .. let me guess, was that an axela?

Yup. But in hindsight, the parentship did offer to put up the difference. It was the cost of ownership and relatively scarcity that put me off. At least there are people who are familiar with the Toyota HSD and Toyota Lanka will accept JDM hybrids with open arms, even going as far as to fix recall issues for them (i.e. firmware updates).