• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Converting honda crv RD1 fwd to awd

Tuna

Hi everyone over there...! Recently I purchased a honda crv RD1 maufacture year 2000 with awd. But after some days back I realised that it has been converted to a fwd by the previous owner. Is it possible to convert back to a awd or is it safe to keep it like this...I appreciate your kind knowledge. 

Well..if the chassis code actually says RD1 then it is a AWD model. 

Yes you can convert it back to AWD provided you can find the parts. How easy it would be or how much it would cost would depend on how exactly it has been disconnected. Do you still have the rear diff and axle ? (since you thought it still was AWD when inspecting it during purchase I guess it still does ?) If so...have they just removed the prop shaft ? Is the front transfer case still there (most likely it does as the common thing to do is just rip off everything from the prop-shaft onwards)?

Thankfully the first gen CR-V had a mostly mechanical AWD system (simple pressure actuated viscous coupler in the back....) as opposed to the later models that came with electro magnetic mechanisms.

Go to the agents show it to them and ask what you need to do.

Appreciate your intrest for the feedback..The rear diff axle is there still. They have removed the propeller shaft and as I observed they have changed the awd gearbox to a normal Rd1 2wd auto gearbox...! I don't think they have changed the ecu if I'm lucky...!yesterday I got a place where they have a complete engine and a awd gearbox. They quoted 270k for it.if only the gearbox 140k.Is it worth for that price.?and is it worth converting back to an awd?and if I convert will the thing function properly..?

6 hours ago, Tuna said:

Appreciate your intrest for the feedback..The rear diff axle is there still. They have removed the propeller shaft and as I observed they have changed the awd gearbox to a normal Rd1 2wd auto gearbox...! I don't think they have changed the ecu if I'm lucky...!yesterday I got a place where they have a complete engine and a awd gearbox. They quoted 270k for it.if only the gearbox 140k.Is it worth for that price.?and is it worth converting back to an awd?and if I convert will the thing function properly..?

Okay....for the first gen I don't think there would have been much of a need to change the ECU between the AWD and the 2WD mainly because there wasn't much of electronics that controlled the thing apart from simple things like making the AWD failure light turn on.

The gearbox would have been needed to change because the AWD gearbox would have had the transfer case with the connectivity to the prop shaft.

Uhh..although the diff is there..you will have to check if the diff actually works. The diff on it is pretty picky and is known for diff howls. Honda recommended 100K oil changes but the model ended up needing oil swaps pretty much every 60k kms. Also, if actual Honda diff oil was not used it pretty much burnt. Now...although it was not connected to the prop shaft the diff would still have been turning inside and would have gone through wear and tear. So you better check it out too. If your AWD was working there are easy ways to test it like punching the gas on a gravel road and making the rear wheels slip and listen to a howl/whiny noise. The same sound can be heard if you do tight circles. But no idea of your one.

As for whether its worth to change it back. Only you can answer that. 

If it was my money; I would bite the bullet and simply just remove the rear end and turn it in to a proper 2WD and leave it as such. Then lament about not having AWD after I bought an AWD for a few months and then start living life as before...

13 hours ago, Tuna said:

Thank again for your comments..pretty much I'll keep it as a fwd..I appreciate your helpfull knowledge on this..!? 

Probably makes more sense. If at most, try removing the diff and the axles. Why tug those things along if they don't do anything ? Mind you, you might have to swap the rear suspension struts..not sure though....

2 hours ago, kush said:

Why do you want 4WD, spend the money on something that you would use daily. may be audio upgrade

I have a RM2 that i have run over 35K only once i noticed AWD kicking in

1. For the sake of originality. Why do u want to drive a car that has been molested with?

2. If you drive on the hills frequently, u would know the value of AWD

On 2017/3/27 at 0:19 PM, kush said:

I have a RM2 that i have run over 35K only once i noticed AWD kicking in

For starters...you would not necessarily notice the AWD kicking in :) You would feel it only under a severe condition (or something went seriously wrong with the system itself). In normal situations the rear wheels come on and off and you would not feel it. 

So I am pretty certain you don't even know that it is even actually working 99% of the time :D

Edited by iRage