• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Using of a different type of sensor

Ted

Question

Dear All,

I need to replace several sensors such as oxygen sensor and exhaust temperature sensor. But the problem is my vehicle is too old that it does not have sensor spare parts any more. But there are many common sensors that are designed for a range of vehicles, such as NGK. Could you please guide me how i select such a common sensor model which is marginally similar to my existing sensors? 

Edited by Ted

9 answers to this question

In technically, if your existing sensors technical specifications match with new sensors technical specifications, they should do the same job. Find both specs and compare.

which car is it? not only technical spec,following should also match for the software and calibration to work without confusion .

analog sensors for temperature,pressure:linearization curves

digital sensors: Frequency,PWM range

some Oxygen,lambda sensors are active ones where the sensing is done by creating a nernst voltage by a current pumping circuit. You have to be very careful when changing a model, because different sensors draw different currents and can even damage the ICs in the ECU.

What's the car?

Components like this are manufactured by third party companies like Denso and Bosch. So if you have the correct part number, you might be able to source the parts, because the identical sensors would have come in other cars of the era as well. Also, manufacturers usually introduce replacement parts which can be used as substitutes.

So get hold of the exact part numbers. Search in a site like Amayama or Partsouq and the site will show part numbers of replacement/substitute sensors. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ajm said:

which car is it? not only technical spec,following should also match for the software and calibration to work without confusion .

analog sensors for temperature,pressure:linearization curves

digital sensors: Frequency,PWM range

some Oxygen,lambda sensors are active ones where the sensing is done by creating a nernst voltage by a current pumping circuit. You have to be very careful when changing a model, because different sensors draw different currents and can even damage the ICs in the ECU.

Does not the technical specification explains about 'linearization curves' & 'PWM range' ? :o

22 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

Does not the technical specification explains about 'linearization curves' & 'PWM range' ? :o

yes,your definition of technical specifications was ambiguous for me. 1.Most sensor specifications available for public by the manufacturer don't contain detailed information about application range,it is their intellectual property which will be released only to car manufacturers (customer)

2.even if a certain sensor Reading is within technical specifications range,the Software /Application may be programmed to consider it as an error (eg:if the curves are different) isn't it?

I also follow the idea of Davy, by looking in eBay which other partnumbers are categorized together with the not available one,and try to find it. So far no issues with mechanical components.

• Like 1

1. "your definition of technical specifications" => I did not define my own technical specifications or did not define the term. Used the general meaning of 'technical specifications'. Though information available or not available in publicly, the technical specifications include all information about the device.
  2. No. it is not. If two sensors reading are same and within the (technical specifications) range, then the software can not see any different in those readings. If tech specs match, then curves too match. Curves mismatch mean those two sensors are differ in specification.

See how nicely explain product with technical specifications.

Bosch Lambda Sensor

NGK tech-info oxygen-sensors

20 hours ago, kusumsiri said:
  1. "your definition of technical specifications" => I did not define my own technical specifications or did not define the term. Used the general meaning of 'technical specifications'. Though information available or not available in publicly, the technical specifications include all information about the device.
  2. No. it is not. If two sensors reading are same and within the (technical specifications) range, then the software can not see any different in those readings. If tech specs match, then curves too match. Curves mismatch mean those two sensors are differ in specification.

See how nicely explain product with technical specifications.

Bosch Lambda Sensor

NGK tech-info oxygen-sensors

But the problem is i cannot find specs of the existing sensor which is out of products.

1 hour ago, Ted said:

But the problem is i cannot find specs of the existing sensor which is out of products.

Until you mention the car model and required sensors, no one can give a good answer.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 2:32 PM, kusumsiri said:

Until you mention the car model and required sensors, no one can give a good answer.

It is carina AT 192 part number for exhaust gas temp sensor is 

89425-20260

IMAG0614.jpg