• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new Car

Shan One

Question

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Shan One said:

I currently have Axio 2010 X grade car and I'm planning on buying 2015 Honda Grace EX for 5.5m after selling my Axio. Is it good decision or is there any better options?

Well...apart from getting a newer car with a new registration number and few more modern bells and whistles and a better driving feel thanks to it being a Honda, you really are not upgrading. The Grace has a firmer suspension and the Axio 141 is relatively softer; unless you are looking for a sportier feel the Axio feels a bit more plusher, also the added weight of the Axio makes it a bit more comfy on long runs. Neither car is going to make you win any drag races.

From my point of view, and this is extremely subjective, the only merit for going for the Grace would be the better safety features (yes, your petrol bill might come down but then there are other areas that would eat it up) and Honda driving feel.

So I have to ask, do you really need to change your car ? Personally, I would save the money and wait till I can afford a proper upgrade. Of course it would be a different story if  the Axio is completely dying on you and needs significant repairs (then that shows that you didn't maintain the Axio and I doubt a Grace will last as long as a normal gasoline car did). If you want a bit of change in look and feel..why not spend some money in a proper suspension and wheel upgrades and use the car a bit longer ? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...apart from getting a newer car with a new registration number and few more modern bells and whistles and a better driving feel thanks to it being a Honda, you really are not upgrading. The Grace has a firmer suspension and the Axio 141 is relatively softer; unless you are looking for a sportier feel the Axio feels a bit more plusher, also the added weight of the Axio makes it a bit more comfy on long runs. Neither car is going to make you win any drag races.

From my point of view, and this is extremely subjective, the only merit for going for the Grace would be the better safety features (yes, your petrol bill might come down but then there are other areas that would eat it up) and Honda driving feel.

So I have to ask, do you really need to change your car ? Personally, I would save the money and wait till I can afford a proper upgrade. Of course it would be a different story if  the Axio is completely dying on you and needs significant repairs (then that shows that you didn't maintain the Axio and I doubt a Grace will last as long as a normal gasoline car did). If you want a bit of change in look and feel..why not spend some money in a proper suspension and wheel upgrades and use the car a bit longer ? 

well, thanks. I needed to change the car because my axio is at 116,000km millage now, and yes i could spend money in suspension and etc.. and use the car bit longer. but its going down in second hand value because its X grade.  That's why I thought of buying new one. And I thought of Grace because its features and price is lower than other models with that features.

Any recommends hybrid or non-hybrid around that price? (lower than 5.5m)

Anyway thank you for your opinion,

Better to stay away from Honda Dual Clutch systems which are far more complex which tends to give you problems in sri lankan climate.I think what iRage said is the best to do at the moment.

14 hours ago, Shan One said:

well, thanks. I needed to change the car because my axio is at 116,000km millage now, and yes i could spend money in suspension and etc.. and use the car bit longer. but its going down in second hand value because its X grade.  That's why I thought of buying new one. And I thought of Grace because its features and price is lower than other models with that features.

Any recommends hybrid or non-hybrid around that price? (lower than 5.5m)

Anyway thank you for your opinion,

Well....its about the rate of depreciation isn't it ? The highest depreciation is at the beginning of the purchase of the car (which you have already incurred). In fact, now the rate at which your car depreciates is actually lesser than before. If you actually upgrade some of the components in your car and it is properly maintained the rate of depreciation will be even lesser. In fact, when you buy a new Hybrid you are incurring a higher rate of depreciation than you would be with the Axio right now.  Well...in a normal world it would be. The only reason why it wouldn't seem so is because of import taxes in SL changing more frequently than most peoples' underwear :D.

For your budget you are not going to be spoilt with choice for gasoline cars, especially if you are looking at a Japanese car. You might want to look in to a Mazda 2...there was a time it used to be within your price range but after the new taxes I am not so sure.

In the Hybrid camp, you have the Fit Shuttle,Fit as well as the Aqua. If you are looking for something with space I believe the Sienta and Bandit are around that price. I have also seen some pre-facelift 160 series Axios for 5.5 ish (they might have been ex-stock units that someone had stored for sometime or something). A few days ago I also saw the new generation Swift RS (which is a mild Hybrid) for about 5.2 mil.... 

So yeah....do you really need to change the Axio ? but then again....seems like you want a "new" car...so...

P.S.: 116,000km is nothing for a car. Cars passing 100,000km being troublesome and problematic and repair costs like timing belt swaps being expensive is a Sri Lankan car market myth created by car salesmen (swapping a timing belt or even dropping in an entirely new engine is still cheaper than buying a new car). Then again most people in SL don't take care of their cars. 

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1