• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda city 2001 AT gearbox issue

ThushanthaSrimal

Question

My car is honda city 2001 type z auto

When i drive my car after a while, lets say in the morning, gear shift from 1st to 2nd does not happen as usual.

It takes some time and I have to up the rpm round 3500.

After the first shift next gears are changing as usual. And also after that for the entire ride, lets say for the entire day, that problem never happens and all the gears are changing fine.

Is this a normal thing or a problem?

I have changed the gear box oil recently. My mileage now is 203,000 km.

6 answers to this question

When you say "recently", how many kilometres ago? Also was the oil pan taken out, cleaned, filter replaced during the oil change or was it just a drain and top up? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

About 10,000 km ago.

No just a drain and top up.

Before moving on and dismantling the gearbox, it's worth doing a proper ATF oil change. The oil pan needs to be taken out, cleaned and the small magnet inside also cleaned. The filter/screen inside the transmission needs to either be cleaned or replaced based on it's condition. While the pan is out, you should be able to see if there is an abnormal amount of metal shavings stuck to the magnet or screen, indicating excessive transmission wear. 

Do this and observe if the issue persists. If it does, it could be worn out transmission oil seals or something which means at least the valve body will have to be taken out and rebuilt. My guess is that you shouldn't have to do that and it's only a clogged filter that's causing low oil pressure that results in delayed shifting when cold.

22 hours ago, Davy said:

Before moving on and dismantling the gearbox, it's worth doing a proper ATF oil change. The oil pan needs to be taken out, cleaned and the small magnet inside also cleaned. The filter/screen inside the transmission needs to either be cleaned or replaced based on it's condition. While the pan is out, you should be able to see if there is an abnormal amount of metal shavings stuck to the magnet or screen, indicating excessive transmission wear. 

Do this and observe if the issue persists. If it does, it could be worn out transmission oil seals or something which means at least the valve body will have to be taken out and rebuilt. My guess is that you shouldn't have to do that and it's only a clogged filter that's causing low oil pressure that results in delayed shifting when cold.

Thank you very much for your advice.

If it is a problem in the filter, will changing it be a solution?  

24 minutes ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Thank you very much for your advice.

If it is a problem in the filter, will changing it be a solution?  

If it's low oil pressure due to a clogged filter, then yes, changing the filter should solve your issue.