• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

CRITICAL - Importing Used Hybrid or Electric Vehicle Batteries

gayanath

Important Matter We Should Immediately Pay Our Attention

As we well aware, vehicle spare parts importers are importing used spare parts as bulk and I don’t think more than 10% of them are using and remained will added to our grounds as garbage. This is mainly due to no proper import controls in our country.  

THE WORST CASE HAS BEGUN DURING LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS.  

Now they are importing used hybrid and electric vehicle batteries as bulks (container wise). I’m sure that, more than 10% of them will not be used (or purchased by customers) and remained will be rest on our grounds adding toxic substances to our waterways which our loved kids are drinking in future ...... And then .........

Who will control this??

Edited by gayanath

this is a well known topic discussed here when hybrids started coming about 10years ago.Forget about secong hand containers,I doubt even the batteries of all the Prias,Vesls and Ackas currently in use will be properly disposed of when they need replacing soon.

4 hours ago, gayanath said:

Important Matter We Should Immediately Pay Our Attention

As we well aware, vehicle spare parts importers are importing used spare parts as bulk and I don’t think more than 10% of them are using and remained will added to our grounds as garbage. This is mainly due to no proper import controls in our country.  

THE WORST CASE HAS BEGUN DURING LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS.  

Now they are importing used hybrid and electric vehicle batteries as bulks (container wise). I’m sure that, more than 10% of them will not be used (or purchased by customers) and remained will be rest on our grounds adding toxic substances to our waterways which our loved kids are drinking in future ...... And then .........

Who will control this??

So what can autolanka forum members do about it?

• Haha 3

@gayanath not only the vehicle batteries, how many cell phone batteries disposing with other waste ? Once I visited to local m*tel customer care center to handover 3 or 4 old cell phone batteries to safe dispose. Sadly they had not a way to collect and asked me to put there garbage bin :angry:. That is the situation in our country.

@Crosswind Though we point out/force authorities regarding these type of issues simply they will ignore as we are a small community compared with SL population, Still there are actions we can do as citizens. But I believe Its beyond our forum goal and rules. So forum members can not do anything about it.

@gayanath

Authorities ie CEA will definitely take action finally only after all the water resources in the country are polluted and a considerable number of people die of poisoning as a result. Well not that CEA is completely silent on this. Some years back (2008 or 2009) they launched a publicity awareness program on e-waste. Part of the program was collection of mobile and other rechargeable batteries among other e-waste. They made a mountain of a media event for a mole hole out of a much wider issue and I still have a memento from the program lying somewhere in a cupboard. As far as I know that was all. If that's the kind of perception they made in a person who was involved in the program from beginning to the end you can judge the success of such events yourself.

15 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

@gayanath not only the vehicle batteries, how many cell phone batteries disposing with other waste ? Once I visited to local m*tel customer care center to handover 3 or 4 old cell phone batteries to safe dispose. Sadly they had not a way to collect and asked me to put there garbage bin :angry:. That is the situation in our country.

@Crosswind Though we point out/force authorities regarding these type of issues simply they will ignore as we are a small community compared with SL population, Still there are actions we can do as citizens. But I believe Its beyond our forum goal and rules. So forum members can not do anything about it.

@gayanath there's absolutely no point of asking us to 'pay immediate attention'. We are neither the parliament, to make laws nor the police, to implement laws. There's nothing we can do about it.

What you need to do is approach your area's parliamentarian or a relevant subject minister. Your area's parliamentarian could be an idiot but there are some who actually educated enough to understand the problem. Doc Harsha is one example. The minister of environment is none other than the president himself. There's nothing that holds you back from writing to them.

If i'm not mistaken, you are an active member of the IESL, Convince your institute to talk to the lawmakers, if you can't do it on your own.

This has worked in the past. One example is importation of used computers from abroad, which is banned (yes, still some shipments sneak through but its reduced by a large extent.

For f*ck's sake, stop trying to be an internet activist.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

knowing sri lanka - somewhere down the line there will be an enterprising  chap who will start a company that will collect your old battery for you for a nominal fee claiming to recycle it. They will buy a deserted paddy field somewhere for dirt-cheap and just dump the batteries there. That's how things work in this country unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, Crosswind said:

@gayanath there's absolutely no point of asking us to 'pay immediate attention'. We are neither the parliament, to make laws nor the police, to implement laws. There's nothing we can do about it.

What you need to do is approach your area's parliamentarian or a relevant subject minister. Your area's parliamentarian could be an idiot but there are some who actually educated enough to understand the problem. Doc Harsha is one example. The minister of environment is none other than the president himself. There's nothing that holds you back from writing to them.

If i'm not mistaken, you are an active member of the IESL, Convince your institute to talk to the lawmakers, if you can't do it on your own.

This has worked in the past. One example is importation of used computers from abroad, which is banned (yes, still some shipments sneak through but its reduced by a large extent.

For f*ck's sake, stop trying to be an internet activist.

On 1/31/2018 at 3:38 PM, Crosswind said:

So what can autolanka forum members do about it?

Ha.... Ha....... 

Typical South Asian mentality......

1. They will do....

2. What could we do?

3. Not in our scope...

4. We are to do more important things than this, and what's this bullshit??

5. If you interested you do

6. Nothing will happened to us. We have xxxxxx. 

1 hour ago, gayanath said:

Ha.... Ha....... 

1. They will do....

2. What could we do?

3. Not in our scope...

So tell us my lord, what are the options we have? Would u like us to join you on a picket in front of Lipton Circus?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gayanath said:

Ha.... Ha....... 

1. They will do....

2. What could we do?

3. Not in our scope...

if your thinking is so advanced than south Asian, why did you waste time posting here first instead of going to the authorities or trying to stop directly the crooks who do this face to face? I see a little boy looking for attention,not an expert IESL "engineer"?

16 hours ago, gayanath said:

Ha.... Ha....... 

1. They will do....

2. What could we do?

3. Not in our scope...

@gayanath what are you going to do about this? I'm willing to listen to your ideas and if feasible then I think people here will be glad to contribute I don't see any suggestion from you other than stating the obvious. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, gayanath said:

Ha.... Ha....... 

1. They will do....

2. What could we do?

3. Not in our scope...

Is this the ONLY CRITICAL issue we see in SL today ? Definitely no.

Correct solutions for each issues should come from a whole process. Else the solutions will be a plaster. Plaster type solutions can see everywhere. Further we can not point authorities  each issues by picketing or protesting. They should identify issues and give us solutions. Thats why number of government institutes established for each field. Unfortunately the whole system is not running the way we expect.

2 hours ago, matroska said:

@gayanath what are you going to do about this? I'm willing to listen to your ideas and if feasible then I think people here will be glad to contribute I don't see any suggestion from you other than stating the obvious. 

starting a new thread with "Critical" in block letters?  yes,totally agree with @ajm and @matroska !  Nothing but a little troll looking for attention instead of doing anything about it!

Edited by vag2