• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

True Mileage

Prabath Gamage

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi Prabath, 

Welcome to the forum! 

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing the actual mileage of the car once it's tampered with. This is why most who tamper with them still get away with it. 

Your best bet is to look into the vehicle's service history and the emissions test certificates. These should have a mileage and you can compare this to verify if the mileage has increased in such a way that it aligns with the mileage shown on the car's ODO. Since it's a must to obtain an emissions test certificate each year, you should be able to track it down quite easily. If something doesn't add up, walk away. 

You can verify this from the service records maintained mainly. If its maintained at an authorized agent, we can say its more accurate. If its a 3rd party service provider, still it can be accurate, I am not saying its wrong. Emissions test, yes its an accurate source to verify, but I am not sure whether they will release the information for such reason.

12 minutes ago, autotalks said:

You can verify this from the service records maintained mainly. If its maintained at an authorized agent, we can say its more accurate. If its a 3rd party service provider, still it can be accurate, I am not saying its wrong. Emissions test, yes its an accurate source to verify, but I am not sure whether they will release the information for such reason.

The emission testing agent is not providing information to others. We need to ask old (previous years) emission testing reports from vehicle owner and compare mileage in each year.