• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Top Gear's Fastest Lap Time.

JwesT

if your in the UK you can watch it online at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fg...1_(new_series)/

If you are outside the UK you can get the iplayer through a UK proxy which will fool the iplayer in to thinking you are from the UK

http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/

Edit: It seems they have taken support out for the iplayer, but the concept works, just need to find another proxy !

Edited by The Don

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can watch live streaming TG episodes here http://watchtopgear.co.uk/

BTW they only have the first episode of the new season.... :(

Well I just downloaded the new episode just now n enjoyed it....when the originals aired this comes up the following day

Only thing is patients is not what I have till I get it (i kinda have all the seasons)

Edited by Muditha420

hey does anybody here understand morse code?...i wonder what the messages that are playing in the background while the stig does power laps this season....

:lol: now theres a thought!

...hmm should go check the final gear forums and see if anyones crcked it - those blokes are properly into Top Gear , i'm guessing someone there also might have gotten inqusitive..

hey does anybody here understand morse code?...i wonder what the messages that are playing in the background while the stig does power laps this season....

ok good question and da answer is....actually it seems the morse code says sum bad things abt people like famous fellows...the nasty jokes Jeremy usually says and it seems BBC is in a bit of a fix coz of this but since its TG i highly doubt they will stop it. :P

yeah and the above is not what i made up coz i'v no clue of morse code...ma cousin in UK told me..his friends in da navy so guess he knws :alc:

ok good question and da answer is....actually it seems the morse code says sum bad things abt people like famous fellows...the nasty jokes Jeremy usually says and it seems BBC is in a bit of a fix coz of this but since its TG i highly doubt they will stop it. :P

lol...googled it and found some :lol:

“Strictly Come Dancing is crap”

“I love cheese”

“I VOTED ROSS PEROT”

“ME SMELL CATS”

"TOO MANY GEARS"

"I LIKE MR SULU"

i thought the lap in the caterham r500 last week was one of the stig's best laps...dunno if it was the camera work/stig's brilliance or both...but it looked amazing :)

Its an amazing car ! I've had the fortune of riding in the older R400 Ultra Light ! It feels like a go-cart, so very agile. The top speed was only 145MPH in the one I rode in (with 2 passengers) but in a track like the top gears one its acceleration and agility which matters more than top speed (hence the dismal run by the Veyron)

Its an amazing car ! I've had the fortune of riding in the older R400 Ultra Light ! It feels like a go-cart, so very agile. The top speed was only 145MPH in the one I rode in (with 2 passengers) but in a track like the top gears one its acceleration and agility which matters more than top speed (hence the dismal run by the Veyron)

Think you might have that backwards machang. Watch the GTR run, Clarkson notes it might not do so well since its a power circuit, not a handling one. The Veyron has a top 5 time right? It was def faster on that track than the GTR, despite the GTRs edge on the ring. And the Veyron does have awesome acceleration too. Isn't its 0-60 something like 2.6 seconds? Its just too heavy to chuck into corners.

Think you might have that backwards machang. Watch the GTR run, Clarkson notes it might not do so well since its a power circuit, not a handling one. The Veyron has a top 5 time right? It was def faster on that track than the GTR, despite the GTRs edge on the ring. And the Veyron does have awesome acceleration too. Isn't its 0-60 something like 2.6 seconds? Its just too heavy to chuck into corners.

Agility + Acceleration Peri, the GTR is very agile but the Veyron has better acceleration. The R500 is very agile and has nearly the same acceleration figures as the Veyron hence its faster around that particular track. What I was trying to point out was top speed was not the most important issue when it comes to the Top Gear track because you don't have a lot of opportunity to get there. This is obviously not the same in every track (I mean if you had longer straights and more of them the higher top speed will give a vehicle like Veyron an advantage)

I'm not quite in agreement with Mr Clarkson over his assesment of the track as a power circuit but then again I am no Guru :)

Agility + Acceleration Peri, the GTR is very agile but the Veyron has better acceleration. The R500 is very agile and has nearly the same acceleration figures as the Veyron hence its faster around that particular track. What I was trying to point out was top speed was not the most important issue when it comes to the Top Gear track because you don't have a lot of opportunity to get there. This is obviously not the same in every track (I mean if you had longer straights and more of them the higher top speed will give a vehicle like Veyron an advantage)

I'm not quite in agreement with Mr Clarkson over his assesment of the track as a power circuit but then again I am no Guru :)

I dunno. The only slow handling corner on that track is the Hammerhead. Other than that, its just the first corner, and the last two in sequence, and they are pretty wide and sweeping turns. The Follow-Thru is just a flat out run so its hard to call it a "corner".

I agree on the acceleration part, but its not really too much of an agility tester. Hence the power track, since the acceleration is a bi-product of the power to weight formula. Of course, that mad Brabus BiTurbo might be the argument against that, but I'm not too sure it could put its power down properly even in a straight line.

Heck, its an airfield. Its like Katu in a way. Plenty of space to put some power down and a few complex corners.

Don,

The track configuration that Top Gear uses does lean the advantage toward high powered cars. However, it's not by much as the straight aways are not all that long. Most of the turns on that track are medium speed with couple of tight turns. The medium speed turns will benefit the cars with good mechanical AND aerodynamic grip while the two slow corners will sway toward the cars with good mechanical grip.

High powered cars with good mechanical grip and good aero grip does well on this track. If you look at the lap times of cars below you can see that high HP cars with good downforce are dominating the list. When you look at the time difference between some of the more agile cars, you can see that while they will do really well on a tight track they seems to be at a disadvantage on this particular track. If the track can be set-up with additional 5-6 tight turns, I think it'll level the playing field more.

Gumpert Apollo 1.17.1

Ascari A10 1.17.3

Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear spoiler) 1.17.6

Pagani Zonda F Roadster 1.17.8

Caterham R500 1.17.9

Bugatti Veyron 1.18.3

Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4

Maserati MC12 1.18.9

Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0

Ariel Atom 1.19.5

Lamborghini LP560 1.19.5

Ferrari Scuderia 1.19.7

Nissan GT-R 1.19.7

Lamborghini LP640 1.19.8

Porsche Carerra GT 1.19.8

Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4

Ascari KZ1 1.20.7

Mercedes McLaren SLR 1.20.9

Ferrari 599GTB 1.21.2

Ford GT 1.21.9

Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3

Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3

Corvette Z06 1.22.4

Noble M15 1.22.5

Murcielago 1.23.7

Zonda 1.23.8

Koenigsegg 1.23.9

Aston Martin DBS 1.23.93

Veritas RS III 1.24.2

Prodrive P2 1.24.3

Audi R8 1.24.4

TVR Sagaris 1.24.6

Mitsubishi Evo FQ400 1.24.8

TVR Tuscan 1.24.8

Noble M400 1.25.0

Lotus Exige S 1.25.1

BMW M3 Saloon 1.25.3

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7

Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8

BMW Z4 M 1.26.0

Porsche Cayman 1.26.2

Porsche 911 Carrera 2S 1.26.2

Brabus Biturbo Roadster 1.26.2

Lotus Exige 1.26.4

Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8

Lexus IS-F 1.26.8

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG 1.26.9

Aston Martin Vanquish S 1.27.1

Aston Martin DB9 1.27.1

Porsche 911 GT3 1.27.2

TVR 350C 1.27.5

BMW M3 CSL 1.28.0

Roush Mustang 1.28.0

Marcos TSO GT2 1.28.2

Subaru WRX Sti 1.28.2

Mitsubishi Evo X 1.28.22

Dodge Viper SRT-10 1.28.5

MG SV 1.28.6

Porsche 911 Carrera S 1.28.9

Mitsubishi Evo VIII 1.28.9

BMW Alpina Z8 1.29.0

Mercedes CL65 1.29.0

VW Golf W12 1.29.6

Alfa 3.7 GTA Autodelta 1.30.0

Ford Shelby GT500 1.30.0

Subaru Impreza STI 1.30.1

Vauxhall Monaro VXR 1.30.1

Aston Martin DB7 GT 1.30.4

Golf R32 1.30.4

Audi S4 1.30.9

Porsche 911 Turbo 1.31.0

Vauxhall VX220 turbo 1.31.3

Vauxhall VXR8 1.31.3

New Audi TT 1.31.4

Honda NSX Type R 1.31.6

BMW M3 1.31.8

Nissan 350Z 1.31.8

Mazda RX-8 1.31.8

BMW 535d 1.31.8

BMW 130 1.31.9

Ford Focus RS 1.32.2

Mazda 6 MPS 1.32.2

Lotus Esprit V8 1.32.5

Audi TT V6 1.32.7

MG ZT 1.33.0

Noble M12 GTO 1.33.1

Mercedes SL 55 AMG 1.33.2

Volkswagen Golf R32 1.33.2

Cadillac CTS 1.33.3

Honda Civic Type-R 1.33.5

Holden Monaro 1.33.9

Ford Mondeo ST220 1.34.5

Jaguar XKR 1.34.7

Ford Focus ST 1.34.9

Volvo S60R 1.35.0

Ferrari 575M 1.35.2

Vauxhall Vectra VXR 1.35.3

Our Car 1.35.4

Fiat 500 Abarth 1.35.5

Alfa 147 GTA 1.35.6

Lotus Elise 1.35.6

Aston Martin Vanquish 1.36.2

Renault Clio V6 1.36.2

Honda Civic Type R 1.36.5

Alfa Romeo Brera 1.36.9

Saab 95 Aero 1.37.9

Maserati 3200 GT 1.38.0

Alfa Romeo 8C 1.38.2

Bowler Wildcat 1.39.4

Bentley Arnarge 1.40.8

Overfinch Range Rover 1.44.0

Aston Martin DB5 1.46.0

What depressing is that Stig's best time in the Reasonably Priced Car is 1.44 summin. And the DB5 is 1.46. A basic no frills sedan of today is as faster round a track than a full on classic sports car. The march of technology, huh?

hmmm it'd be interesting to see a 300SL go around there....

put the DB5 timei nto perspective

What depressing is that Stig's best time in the Reasonably Priced Car is 1.44 summin. And the DB5 is 1.46. A basic no frills sedan of today is as faster round a track than a full on classic sports car. The march of technology, huh?

i really doubt that mchan..do u remember when they wanted to find how fast the reno (cnt rem the model though..avantine or summin like that..) goes around the track..the most suprising thing was, when it was bog standard, i mean they just put it on the track and recoreded the std lap (control) and and later that day, they decided to improve the suspension (stiff), breaking and even the slick or semi slicks and they still couldnt achieve a better timing than they did when it was bog std..dude., thats absurd..we all know that just with the semi slicks we cn cut about a second or so given the conditions remained unchanged..it looked like the track condition (dry) remained the same, reno did worse with the mods..(at least until james may was given the task to dismantle the whole engine and polish everything, etc..)

did anyone else find it amusing that the Mayor of London ended up as thier Star in a Reasonably Priced Car?! :o

:blink:

I loved watching his practice laps hilarious :lol:

Did you see the Ford Fiesta review.... best review i have ever seen

Edited by maliths