• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which color? White or Silver...Pls suggest

amsandun

Question

Hi everybody,

can you give me some suggestions regarding white and silver colors for a car,?

Especially regarding their ease of maintenance, resale value and about general demand for those colors in Sri Lanka?

What are your ideas when considering the color?

Thanks in advance.

Sandun

13 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, iRage said:

Not really....You actually have to pay more to the manufacturer for certain colors. For example there was a time where pearl white actually was extra 54000yen for a RAV4. Right now the XBee has only one "free" color, every other color combination is a paid extra. 

But..also...some cars look good in certain colors so people tend to want to buy those particular colors than others which raises the price in order to starve off demand. Also, when exporting cars to certain parts of the globe certain cars are more popular because of cultural preferences. Some cultures like red as it is a color of prosperity and luck, some like green, etc...

As for what is easy to maintain....both white and silver are easy to live with. You might think the light color makes every spec of dirt pop-out..but you would be surprised. On the ther hand black and other colors that borderline it are a pain to maintain. Everything just pops up and will drive you crazy. 

But remember....no matter what color it is make sure you polish, wax, glass coat and use proper car shampoo. The car will look good no matter. If a proper, deserving person comes to buy a car that is what they will care about (how well the body work has been taken care of) and not the color. 

Thank you iRage for your expert advises. it really helps.

Certain makes such as Premio / Prado/ Axio  in auctions tend to fetch higher prices for colors such as pearl white. But if its directly from the manufacturer i doubt white demands a more premium price than silver. Silver on the contrary fetches a lower price in the auctions because i guess a silver car could be one of the most low key ones. 

It again depends on the models. For an AT212 or BMW F10 i would definitely pick silver over white. Both are good heat reflectors as well as provides better visbility of the vehicle at night. and also both colours are excellent to hide hairline scratches 

But again its your call as its is your ride..you decide what color you like. These higher & lower prices at auctions may negate when you are selling second hand in the local market.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sadik said:

Certain makes such as Premio / Prado/ Axio  in auctions tend to fetch higher prices for colors such as pearl white. But if its directly from the manufacturer i doubt white demands a more premium price than silver. Silver on the contrary fetches a lower price in the auctions because i guess a silver car could be one of the most low key ones. 

It again depends on the models. For an AT212 or BMW F10 i would definitely pick silver over white. Both are good heat reflectors as well as provides better visbility of the vehicle at night. and also both colours are excellent to hide hairline scratches 

But again its your call as its is your ride..you decide what color you like. These higher & lower prices at auctions may negate when you are selling second hand in the local market.

Not really....You actually have to pay more to the manufacturer for certain colors. For example there was a time where pearl white actually was extra 54000yen for a RAV4. Right now the XBee has only one "free" color, every other color combination is a paid extra. 

But..also...some cars look good in certain colors so people tend to want to buy those particular colors than others which raises the price in order to starve off demand. Also, when exporting cars to certain parts of the globe certain cars are more popular because of cultural preferences. Some cultures like red as it is a color of prosperity and luck, some like green, etc...

As for what is easy to maintain....both white and silver are easy to live with. You might think the light color makes every spec of dirt pop-out..but you would be surprised. On the ther hand black and other colors that borderline it are a pain to maintain. Everything just pops up and will drive you crazy. 

But remember....no matter what color it is make sure you polish, wax, glass coat and use proper car shampoo. The car will look good no matter. If a proper, deserving person comes to buy a car that is what they will care about (how well the body work has been taken care of) and not the color. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sadik said:

hi thanks for your opinion.. actually I am looking for a 2015/2016 toyota vitz. So i guess the same applies for that too..is that correct?

1 hour ago, amsandun said:

hi thanks for your opinion.. actually I am looking for a 2015/2016 toyota vitz. So i guess the same applies for that too..is that correct?

I would say....don't worry about all these things...first and foremost pick what you like. After all you will have to use it and look at it every day for many years, so if you don't like the color and stuff you will hate yourself for it. Market value and resellability of colors, etc are just background noise...just filter it away.

Buy what you like, enjoy the car, take care of it. You will always find a buyer who will appreciate a well maintained car no matter what the color is. If that fails...we Sri Lankans are such drones that we will buy any heap of junk with a Toyota badge on it...so you have that going for you :D 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

I would say....don't worry about all these things...first and foremost pick what you like. After all you will have to use it and look at it every day for many years, so if you don't like the color and stuff you will hate yourself for it. Market value and resellability of colors, etc are just background noise...just filter it away.

Buy what you like, enjoy the car, take care of it. You will always find a buyer who will appreciate a well maintained car no matter what the color is. If that fails...we Sri Lankans are such drones that we will buy any heap of junk with a Toyota badge on it...so you have that going for you :D 

yes of course... well said, an eye opener.. What matters is what I take and how I use it. Oh of course Toyota obsession is there to rescue. :D Thanks bro.

When new there is a higher price for pearl colours like pearl white.

Usually pearl white purplish red and black fetch higher values due to increased demand in the 2nd hand market and silver seems to be the least sort after in that respect.

When considering washing and polishing white is better.

Its all upto the users taste but if it was upto me id go for pearl white and its better for resale too

14 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

When new there is a higher price for pearl colours like pearl white.

Usually pearl white purplish red and black fetch higher values due to increased demand in the 2nd hand market and silver seems to be the least sort after in that respect.

When considering washing and polishing white is better.

Its all upto the users taste but if it was upto me id go for pearl white and its better for resale too

If you need to fix a body panel and it needs repainting its a complete b**** to match though...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iRage said:

If you need to fix a body panel and it needs repainting its a complete b**** to match though...

Agree with you. Recently one of my relatives bought unregistered vitz and had a chance to choose pure white & pearl white for same price tag. After considering repainting issues, chosen the pure white one.

2 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

Agree with you. Recently one of my relatives bought unregistered vitz and had a chance to choose pure white & pearl white for same price tag. After considering repainting issues, chosen the pure white one.

what sucks is even if you match it up to 99.9%.there is that one angle that is just shows off....

• Like 1

if it's maintenance and ensuring scratches don't show much  - well silver/white you're kinda ok . black is an absolute b****.

If you're concerned about resale (as most SL buyers are) well then AFAIK it differs on model ...people were wetting themselves over maroon vezels with gold badges and i think some sri lankans have a weird obsession with beige interiors that's why you see ads mention   "Corolla 121 Baag Intariyal  pul opshan"