• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vezel thud sound when releasing break pedal

DilaAD

Question

Hi, I have an all new 2018 Honda Vezel less than 1000KM. I hear a 'thud' sound when releasing the break pedal when engine is turned ON. This happens mainly in heavy traffic when the electric motor is OFF. No issue when the electric motor is ON. Then the start is smooth. But when the Engine is ON and I release the break pedal to move forward, I hear this 'thud' or 'grudge' sound coming. Feels like its coming from the transmission. But no other issue when coasting or during normal drive. Only when trying to start off from a stop when Engine is ON. Any ideas guys. Your thoughts are most welcome.

14 answers to this question

is it your first hybrid? usually when you decide to buy a japanese hybrid you are agreeing to live with these funny "thud" and "dub" sounds?

But better take to the agents or a proper workshop to make sure it's not a specific problem to your vehicle, to avoid big gearbox damage by driving like this.

Edited by ajm
  • Haha 1

as AJM said,if this is first time for you to drive a hybrid,maybe you are overcautious.

If you know someone who bought the same model recently, maybe you could check if that car has same issue,then it should be normal.

But if you have a doubt, better get it checked by an expert/workshop since Honda hybrids are known to give gearbox issues depending on usage. You never now if a freak rented it in Japan used the car to practice wheel spins/drifting in the first 1000km! or more likely, if the Odometer was tampered.

Edited by vag2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DilaAD said:

thanks.. may be I am over cautious.. but the thud or grudge it makes when trying to move from a stop does not feel right. I have a KOBE warranty so I should get it checked at Care Point they say. But I dont feel comfortable with them. Any tips ?

is it the same people who sold it? then it would be like හොරාගෙ අම්මගෙන් පේන ඇහීම, they will just say its normal or even that its a "new option" to wake up the driver if he falls asleep?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DilaAD said:

@ajm I did an inspection of the car at Stafford before I bought it. It did not show any issue. It's only 1000KM now. do you think it can become faulty that quickly ? :(

Did you see what kind of inspection they did? did it include a scan with Honda Diagnosis software? If such a scan didnt show errors, you should not worry too much assuming 1000km mileage is accurate. Sometimes transmission oil viscosity degrades when its parked for a long time in hot temperatures. you can change it ans see if that makes a difference.

These 'Warranties' from car sales point you towards places like c***point etc. If I were you I'd rather get it checked by Staf*ord or the so-called 'Hub' in Maligawatta. Word of advice - these two are at two extreme ends. The Hub folk are a bit over-enthusiastic and for the folk at St**ford - they don't try to rip you off but can be a little too 'ah that's normal'

for example if you go to the 'Hub' and say 'There's a strange noise coming when I break' they will immediately ask you to replace the entire gearbox, break pads, all 4 wheels and do a wheel alignment.   As for St***ord take a car that is belching out black smoke and possibly some flames coming from under the hood they'll throw some water at it and say - 'That's normal sir' 

• Haha 4

Since it's a brand new 2018 model highly unlikely it has got any DCT faults from the factory. Honda had a bad time with DCTs back in 2014/15, but not at present. Definitely not at 1000KM. You have 2 simple options

1. Drive an another 2018 model Vezel ? (If you really can't find a friend who owns the exact model go to a car sale and test drive lol :D )

2. If the other car DOES NOT have the same jerk/thud when taking off, there's really an issue. Confirmed.
Go asap to Stafford Motors (Maradana or Boralesgamuwa) and get the car scanned by the HDS(honda Diagnostic System). You'll have to specifically go to the agent for the scan as they might be the only ones in SL with the latest software atm.(Your car is a 2018)
If there's any code ask the agents opinion and get an idea. (Scanning the car won't void any warranty. Anyway don't go and tell KOBE that you got the car scanned by the agent lol :D )

If Stafford confirms there's an issue go to KOBE and claim your bloody warranty! Good luck! 

Edited by Jason_Bourne

11 hours ago, Amila47 said:

Hi,

i have the same issue from 2017,42000km driven vezel. Bought it recentlyz in heavy traffic it gives a jump/boost or a similar feel. Any advices. TIA

It could very well be a normal Hybrid, electronic brake thing. The regenerative braking system and the electronically controlled braking systems (because of pre-collision/collision-avoidance like systems) tend to make weird grabby release-y sounds and even give a slight boost when released under certain conditions.

If you are feeling worried get an inspection done including a scan for any error codes. I would take it to the agents or a reputed garage as anything short of that will just do next to nothing.

Also, when was the last time you changed brake fluid ? Sometimes when the fluid is overly contaminated braking feels a bit weird. 

Edited by iRage