• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Axio acceleration hesitation

kflyer

Axio NZE 141 with 170k on the clock. All running repairs have been done in a timely manner - including CVT oil change at less than 40,000km intervals, and replacement of spark plugs at 100,000km.

The car has been having an acceleration hesitation from a stop, since a few weeks. Upon acceleration, the RPM would increase sharply (based on noise - no RPM gauge - X grade) whilst the car is slower to move. Overtaking a vehicle needs quite an effort. Also noticeable is that the RPM would not automatically drop (as is typical with shifting to a lower gear ratio) unless the accelerator pedal is released and re-engaged.

Once accelerated to 70-80kmph, the car would maintain the speed without effort.

No DTCs upon scan. Fuel economy is not noticeably different.

What could be the likely cause? CVT issue? Clogged EGR? Spark plugs?

Edited by kflyer

Well..before jumping in the deep end....why not start with the simpler things (even if it does not solve the problem it would need to be done anyway considering the mileage) Clean the fuel system, throttle body, etc...(i hope you have changed the air filter atleast)

38 minutes ago, kflyer said:

Never been changed.

36 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well..before jumping in the deep end....why not start with the simpler things (even if it does not solve the problem it would need to be done anyway considering the mileage) Clean the fuel system, throttle body, etc...(i hope you have changed the air filter atleast)

There you go, As iRage correctly mentioned, its best to start from here. Usually the petrol filter needs replacing after about every 60,000kms (Thats what is recommended for Lancer EX). I've asked the above question from you cuz, one of my friends faced the exact same problem with his FB15 sometime back. It started with sluggish acceleration and gradually went up to a state where you had to stand on the accelerator to get the car moving at the snails pace. 

Changing the fuel filter and solved that issue. Cant be sure if that's the case with your car as well. But as you said if the filter hasn't been changed at all, I think its a good place to start with.

You might want to do a tune-up and flush your transmission system since you have done over 150K, i had a NZE161 (non hybrid X) and did over 224K but i had to do tuneups at every 60K, and a fuel filter change at 110K, also if you are very heavy footed it might also be part of the cause since the CVT on the axio has an override which automatically sends it to limp mode when the transmission faces problems trying to change gear on demand. You hear the car rev but the rpm remains under 4K and the car barely makes any effort to go over 40KMH. 

My advise is to start with a tuneup and clean the throttle body, injectors etc, flush your transmission system and then move on to the fuel filters.  just like Irage Said. 

On 6/6/2020 at 6:34 AM, iRage said:

In case none of them work take it to TL, expect to spend somewhere between 7K-25K depending on how worse the situation might be. 

If you maintain it well u can do well over 200K without any major repairs. 

copx.thumb.jpg.42c08ea8c3f48dbbc5b9f3ad9a91fc78.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I have not replaced the fuel filter - but in fact has done tune ups in a timely manner, with the most recent having been done about 20,000km before. In fact, some very distant symptoms of this acceleration symptom came up after I did a tune up from TL about 70,000km before. At the time TL attributed same to the gearbox not being up to the level of newly tuned fuel system (!!) - however the issue was not a hindrance to driving. Anyway, due to that experience I did the most recent tune up at an independent place. However, this most recent tune up did not include an EGR clean-up.

I will get the fuel filter checked out and replace if necessary. Could EGR be a factor too, if it has a delay in operation etc?

Edited by kflyer