• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Axio - General Maintenance Advise

Harshadewa

Hi,

I have a Toyota Axio Hybrid 2014 model.
Currently ODO meter is nearly 119000.

As of now I have done engine tune up every 40000km.
Changed engine oil and oil filter every 5000km.
Doing wheel alignment every 6000km.
Changed air filter from time to time.
Change Cabin AC filter from time to time.

Other than that; are there any other regular maintenance work I should do?

Thanks

Edited by iRage

Hi,

Im looking for a place to get a bodywash, under wash, engine cleanup and interior vaccum.
There are many places I can do all these. But Im reluctant to let someone touch the engine area without knowing their work.
I live in Mahara so when I was looking for a good place, I came across Sterling.

Anyone have experience with their work? 
Do you think it would be safe to let them do the engine cleanup?

If you know any other places near Mahara, Kadawatha area; Im open to suggestions as well.

Thanks

• iRage changed the title to Toyota Axio - General Maintenance Advise

Hi ! 

I merged both of your threads so that it easier for other members to reply to you (and its easier for you and other members to find info).

Have you done anything about the transmission fluid ?

You are supposed to change brake fluid every 2 years or 20,000km (which ever comes first).

You are supposed to change coolant every 2-4 years (depending on the coolant you use).

At about 80K-100K you are supposed to suspension and other under carriage bushes and change as required.  Same goes for various oil seals (pretty much look if there is any seepage or leaks. 

Every 40K-50K ideally you are supposed to lubricate your drive train (grease joints, hubs, etc...) silicone lubricate/hydrate the bushes, etc...

At least once a year you should check your brake components...check pad wear, disk wear, inspect components (bushes, pins, springs, etc...) of brake components and replace as needed.

Do not wash the engine....if you feel it is dirty and you like to get it cleaned...then get the engine bay detailed. If you take it to a proper place to detail it they will use an engine bay friendly cleaner to dissolve the gunk and dust and give it a slight scrub. It is pricey. Most of the service stations I have seen have no idea what they are doing...they spray strong petroleum based solutions and then cover the distributor/alternator/diagnostic port/fuse box with some plastic bag and hold a pressure washer on the engine. There are places in the engine bay you can safely use a pressure awasher on..but not the engine like these people do.

Same goes with under carriage wash.  Under carriage washes are the biggest rip off in Sri Lanka...and on top of that..their washers actually mess up the under carriage of the car because they spray strong oily stuff in the bottom as a water chaser. This strips off any and all protective coatings the paint has. On top of that it gets on the bushes and it dries up the bushes leading the bushes to prematurely wear and tear. 21 cars, 9 countries and 25 years later..I have never gotten an under carriage wash except to go under the car and use a pressure washer to wash every single crack and crease under the car (including inside fenders and behind bumpers).  So...when you go for an under carriage wash. Ask what they do...do not let them spray crap under the car. In fact....invest in a pressure washer for your home....give your under carriage a good wash every time you wash your car...or drive through mud/flooded roads.

If you search the forum for Sterling you will see a few posts about work certain members had gotten from them. Seems like it is a hit or miss kind of thing...

• Thanks 1

I change transmission oil when I do engine tuneup.
Never changed brake oil, coolant; but checked and fill it up when it was reduced.

About engine detail; when you say its pricey, how much are we talking about? 
I heard most of those well known care centers (Kleepark, sterling etc.) do it for around 1500!!

Can you recommend me a place that does this engine detail right?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Harshadewa said:

I change transmission oil when I do engine tuneup.
Never changed brake oil, coolant; but checked and fill it up when it was reduced.

About engine detail; when you say its pricey, how much are we talking about? 
I heard most of those well known care centers (Kleepark, sterling etc.) do it for around 1500!!

Can you recommend me a place that does this engine detail right?

Thanks

Brake and coolant top up is not sufficient.....you have to change it. After time impurities build up in in the brake oil and coolant and that can clog up the system and then the system will not function properly. In Japan, changing brake fluid every two years is mandatory as he change is checked at every road worthy inspection.

When you said tune up...I am assuming it included change of air filter, cleaning throttle body, cleaning injectors, fuel lines, swapping fuel filter ?

I cannot recommend a "service center" as I have used only used individuals to detail my cars. With individuals the price is slightly higher than the 1500...but....they use best in market products and the results are pretty good. Also, since they work on only one car at a time they do not rush through the process like the service centers would. Out of the places you have mentioned, it is only KeelnPark that I have heard positive stories about (last we used Kleenpark was in the 80s when my dad used to take our cars there..and I was a kid).

On 12/18/2020 at 7:05 AM, iRage said:

...or drive through mud/flooded roads.

Well you should never be doing this anyway... Case in point cars like the Chrysler 3000 which is known to have a very low air intake point making it especially prone to hydrolock (water going into the cylinders) so never drive through a flooded areas if you have a Chrysler 3000). Not sure where the air intake is for an Axio, but it can't be too well protected either....

Edited by Kavvz

18 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Well you should never be doing this anyway... Case in point cars like the Chrysler 3000 which is known to have a very low air intake point making it especially prone to hydrolock (water going into the cylinders) so never drive through a flooded areas if you have a Chrysler 3000). Not sure where the air intake is for an Axio, but it can't be too well protected either....

Well I didn't mean roads that are flooded that much..I am a talking about a road that has even a few cms of water....when you drive through there will be residue even from that low level of water that goes in to all the nooks and crannies. SO better to give it a good high pressure wash even after such times. I wouldn't go to the extent of washing it every day I drive through such a road during the ainy season...but at least once a week or once two weeks.

No idea where the exact location is...but in a majority of the cars the inlet is located behind the headlight...usually leading in from the fender