• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Townace speedo meter (odo meter) keeps breaking

toosea

Hello Friends,

I bought a KR42 diesel convert.

When I bought the van the meter was working fine for couple of weeks and then stopped working.

Had it fixed with much effort. ABS light was not on since when I bought it. Garage did something and ABS light got on (and ABS not working) and speedo meter was fixed. They said they replaced "ABS Control Box"  (not the ABS unit) (charged me 7500/= sans labour for that).

After about 2 weeks now again its not working!

Can anyone advice me? I need to get this fixed. And the van does not have a speedo meter wheel in the gear box to fix a sensor and fix it that way either.

Any idea why this keeps breaking??

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-19 at 02.20.27.jpeg

Funny....the first thing that came to my mind after reading beyond the ABS part was:

"This looks like the ABS was not working and they mucked about to disable the ABS light so buyer won't notice the broken ABS".

So...don't jump to the conclusion that the garage did something and the ABS is not working now. If all the garage did was work on the meter panel then I cannot see how that would make the ABS go bad. As for your meter issues...again..this could be because some maka baas messed with the meter to disable the ABS light and screwed a lot of things.

Sorry I cannot tell you what is wrong with your meter cluster....the only way to do that is to inspect the feeds in to the panel and then inspect the board itself to see if the circuitry is broken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Funny....the first thing that came to my mind after reading beyond the ABS part was:

"This looks like the ABS was not working and they mucked about to disable the ABS light so buyer won't notice the broken ABS".

Same, I have a faulty seatbelt light that turns on when I put on my Seatbelt and the first suggestion I got was if its annoying me so much why not just remove it? XD

But I agree with iRage, it could be a gazillion and one problems with your speedometer and don't blame your mechanic for the broken ABS. 

Thanks friends...  I think my question may have been a bit confusing..

So to summarise....

Bought the van: no ABS light at all, odo meter works

Two weeks later: odo meter stopped working. My only aim here is to get the odo fixed.

Put van to garage to fix odo: garage tell me odo meter works through ABS. However ABS is not working and ABS light also disabled.

Garage 1st fix try: fix sensor to gear box and have that feed the data to odo meter. But they find there is no place to fix sensor in gear box. So this fix is abandoned.

Garage 2nd fix: They try to fix it through ABS. They manage to get ABS light on. (However ABS light doesnt turn off as ABS is not working). Then they replace ABS controller card. Then odo meter starts working! Yippee!

After two weeks of driving: odo meter stops working again. Bummer!! Now I remember another electrician told me.. to make odo meter work have to replace ABS controller. But it wont "last long". Looks like he was right.

Again went to garage today: They said will try to work out some thing.. dont know what.. 

Any other advice is welcome.. just need the odo fixed for a long duration..

Thanks...