• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car AC Service ?

virajn

Does anyone do car ac service regularly ( once a year ) ? I could not find any facts in forum regarding this. However quick internet search suggest to do a AC service once year. I was wondering does any one do this ( from where ) or is this considered waste of money ?

I always assumed you'd only show up to an AC joint if you only lost the cold but I guess the AC system, just like your Engine, Transmission also requires some service to increase its longevity.

Is there immenent harms if you say miss a service and skip an year? No. 

But at an AC service they re-gas the system, oil your compressor (very costly part, if this is ), change AC Filter, change the Cabin Filter (depends if your car has that) and depending on how thorough the service is they clean out the blower and condenser, airgates (these can be filthy with bacteria and other accumulated dust) and do the packing (there's a sponge like substance around the airgate, you know the sponge has deteriorated if when you still get smells from the outside of your car when you've closed it). Again this depends on where you do it.

I did a AC Service at a significantly smaller joint which cost me 5500 for a Starlet and he regassed the system, oiled my compressor, changed AC Filter, redid the packing on my airgate and cleaned out the blowers and all that stuff (laced with moss/fungi, unaware of when last AC Service was done)

A different service at a higher joint cost me 8500 + 2200 (For a Cabin Filter) only regassed system and oiled compressor. 

This should give you a good idea.

• Thanks 1

Well..it is good practice to serice your AC regularly. Do thinngs like check for leaks, pressure, do a general clean-up to make sure none of the fans are covered in dust, blow-out the dust in the duct work, etc...the cabin filter usually lasts for 15,000-25,000km depending on the type so you don't have to replace it every year. However, it is good to give it a good blow through.

If your AC system has not been clenaed for a long time thne the cleaning is a bit of a task...but once it has gotten in to a regular clean/service cycle then it becomes easier. Some places also use an AC cleaning spray can where they plug in to the AC vents and let the AC run...that does a good job cleaning the system if the internals are not too dirty.

Does it have to be every year ? Well...that is up for speculation and up for you to decide based on how much you use the car and what kind of envionment you use it in.

• Thanks 1

Well....I am not in SL and thanks to C19 I haven't been able to be there for nearly 2 years. So I have no idea if the old places are still around or even good. There was a decent place on Stanley hilekerathne mawatha in Nugegoda (in front of a car sale that has expensive SUVs and Euro cars).

Maybe others can recommend a few other places too.