• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer CS1: Performance Increase - Engine Swap from 1.3L to 2.0L Turbo or any other options ?

Dilan D Chandrajith

I am currently having a Modified Lancer CS1 which is mounted a 4G13 1.3L (original) stock engine. Whether the car has modified with body kits and stuffs, still I need to swap the engine to 2.0L Turbo one and increase the performance and it's power little bit (as possible as I can).

I heard that, we can swap 4G13 to 4G94 which is 2.0L engine. But I need to clear that whether it is possible or if is there any engine I can look for that particular swap.

And, is it possible to swap my car engine to 4G63?

Thanks.

Edited by iRage

First and foremost you need to check what the legal constraints are....at one point the regulation was that the new engine cannot have more than 500cc above the original engine capacity...then it was a strictly no increase..then back to a 500cc increase. So look in to that first so that you can legally do the conversion and update the book accordingly.

Secondly....plan it out...the body kit is fine...but what about the suspension and the brakes ? Especially the brakes ? Body reinforcements ? Putting a powerful engine is fine and all but personally I would make sure that the brakes and the suspension and frame can handle the extra power before anything else. 

• Like 2

Yes..you can turbo charge it...I beleive there are kits for the 4G13 as well....but if I am not mistaken if you want any serious power gains you would need to update the internals so you can...uhh...boost up the boost ? <not sure...any Mitsu-guys can confirm this ?>

As for a 1.8L...well you have the 4G93 which also came in the Lancer....not sure about the export model specs but the JDM spec 4G93 (GDI) had like 110 hp or something and the 4G93-Turbo had like 150hp or something. If I am not mistaken the export variants had a MPI 4G93 in NA and Turbo variants and even SOHC variants.

But again...the need to look in to brake and suspension still remains....even with a 500cc bump you are looking at 30%-75% increase in power depending on the variant you go with....

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

• iRage changed the title to Lancer CS1: Performance Increase - Engine Swap from 1.3L to 2.0L Turbo or any other options ?
2 hours ago, Dilan D Chandrajith said:

Need to know how to increase the performance of the 4G13 engine.
And, what modifications should I do to the car to bear the new power?

I merged your two topics so that it is easoer for memebers to reply and you (and any one else in the future) to find answers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, varotone said:

😳 Plug and play kinda stuff? Someone tell me this is true!

Well..I have seen 4G1x Turbo kits for Protons with 4G15 and I beleive it works for 4G13 engines as well. So...if it works for a 4G1x in a Proton it should work for a 4G1x in a Mitsubishi right ? (albeint might not be as direct bolt on as it might be for a Proton or as much as one owuld want it to be).

?

Edited by iRage

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Well..I have seen 4G1x Turbo kits for Protons with 4G15 and I beleive it works for 4G13 engines as well. So...if it works for a 4G1x in a Proton it should work for a 4G1x in a Mitsubishi right ? (albeint might not be as direct bolt on as it might be for a Proton or as much as one owuld want it to be).

?

Thanks @irage. I called a guy today to do my stuffs and he is saying that 1.3L engine can't bare the power of TURBO. Is it true, and he is saying that it's better to TURBO a engine which has 2 camshaft. Is it true?

He is suggesting me to do a conversion other than increasing performance which we have to cut the chassis, and personally I think it's not safe to do so. It may reduce the strength of the chassis.

Any Idea? Thanks

8 hours ago, Dilan D Chandrajith said:

Thanks @irage. I called a guy today to do my stuffs and he is saying that 1.3L engine can't bare the power of TURBO. Is it true, and he is saying that it's better to TURBO a engine which has 2 camshaft. Is it true?

He is suggesting me to do a conversion other than increasing performance which we have to cut the chassis, and personally I think it's not safe to do so. It may reduce the strength of the chassis.

Any Idea? Thanks

Well..depends on the amount of boost you are looking at....the internals could probably handle a small amount of boost. So did you have that discussion ? How much boost are you looking at? How much of a power increase you are expecting and what could be done without having to change the internals ?  

As for cutting chassis...yes...it is never a good idea....however if and when the chassis is cut there are ways you can re-inforce what has been compromised (but doubt most people go to the extent of doing that in SL...after all we sport stickers saying air bags are for whimps). What engine options did you discuss ? I am surprised that all engine options require the "chassis" to be cut (because it is hard to imaging that the same car which ws used as a base for RALLIART and Evo versions required chassis cuts to accomodate the sportier engines). I can imagine chassis cuts if you were looking at engines from different model generations.

I believe short of doing an "Evo" conversions, you will have to do some of your on research on what can be done and how in terms with the 4G13 engine. In SL what everyone knows is what is common (i.e. Evo conversions) and they do not do the required researh or planning in to what they have not done yet (only a very very very very very few enthusiast run places do). In SL people said and say the same thing about Turbo charging Altos and say the same thing about turbo charging 5A-FE and 1NZ-FEs. Look in to the Proton forums in Malaysia..as in the video I shared above...people have turbo charged Protons with the 4G13. Look at what boost they are running and what internal mods they had to do (granted some might have started off with low boost and stock internals at first and then gradually put forged internals, etc...to gain more boost). 

Having said all of the above...you should know that the above will be a path to take purely out of passion and petrol head project you would do for the sake of doing it. Considering this will be a custom project you will have to guide everything and custom order and build everything (again..like I said..what these places would know is the usual Evo conversion). The power gain you would get after putting all the effort in to turbo charging your 4G13 might not be worth the cost (thus it being a pure petrol head passion project) as you might only be getting the smae amount of power as a 4G15 after spending a lot of money (which you could have spent on buying a 1.5L variant in the first place). 

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, iRage said:

?

Looks like this involves quite a lot of custom work to get minimal boost. May be the guy does it in two days because he has done the same thing over and over for quite a while.

I dreamt of turbocharging my poor old lancer with a diy bolt on turbo kit😅. Even if there was ready made kits for proton wira available, it wouldn't fit my 4G12 with a longitudinal engine.

Nonetheless, it's cool such turbo kits exists!

15 minutes ago, varotone said:

Looks like this involves quite a lot of custom work to get minimal boost. May be the guy does it in two days because he has done the same thing over and over for quite a while.

I dreamt of turbocharging my poor old lancer with a diy bolt on turbo kit😅. Even if there was ready made kits for proton wira available, it wouldn't fit my 4G12 with a longitudinal engine.

Nonetheless, it's cool such turbo kits exists!

Yes...could be that the guy who did it has done quite a few 4G13 Protons and know exactly what piping and mounts, etc...needs to be sorted (in fact those might be even readily available over there).

Wasn't there a 4G12T from factory ?