• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Harrier

Dinu

Question

Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy a used SUV. My budget is under 4M. I have seen advertisements for Toyota Harrier 1999/2000 YOM for around 3.4M. Is it a good deal? Does this vehicle have any major issues. Any other SUVs that I can look for?

Thank you

5 answers to this question

21 hours ago, Dinu said:

Toyota Harrier 1999/2000

I beleive the XU10 series Harrier has been discussed in the forum and you can find some posts on it if you do a search.

Bottom line is...when new it was a pretty decent, comfortable, no fuss car and being a flagship crossover came with some decent creature comforts...it was based on an extended version of the RAV4 platform of the time (keyword being exended as the same platform used in the RAV4 was changed for narrow and wide body as well as long wheel base applications). As with any car it did have some little niggles with electronics and such (but nothing major...no car on the planet is completely trouble free). As with typical Toyota cars of the time the car is pretty robust (for the most part)

You are looking at buying a 20 year old car...so its reliability is totally dependant on how the previosu owners have taken care of it (not whether the model was a good and solid model when it was new). So...as long as the car has been properly services with proper preemptive maintenance done by proper mechanics using proper parts..it should be okay.

If you go for a crossover (pure petrol) in all reality you should be expecting to get somewhere around 7kmpl if the car is in good shape. But factoring in engine wear...it might not get that figure anymore. A diesel might do 2 or 3 km more per litre. However, I doubt the total cost of ownership between a diesel crossover and a petrol crossover of the same model will be that much different. (For diesels although cost of diesel is lower and you get a bit more kmp, you will need a bit more maintenance work and the purchase price will be a bit higher). A diesel makes sense if you do a lot of travelling and you need a decent amount of low-end torque.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iRage said:

I beleive the XU10 series Harrier has been discussed in the forum and you can find some posts on it if you do a search.

Bottom line is...when new it was a pretty decent, comfortable, no fuss car and being a flagship crossover came with some decent creature comforts...it was based on an extended version of the RAV4 platform of the time (keyword being exended as the same platform used in the RAV4 was changed for narrow and wide body as well as long wheel base applications). As with any car it did have some little niggles with electronics and such (but nothing major...no car on the planet is completely trouble free). As with typical Toyota cars of the time the car is pretty robust (for the most part)

You are looking at buying a 20 year old car...so its reliability is totally dependant on how the previosu owners have taken care of it (not whether the model was a good and solid model when it was new). So...as long as the car has been properly services with proper preemptive maintenance done by proper mechanics using proper parts..it should be okay.

If you go for a crossover (pure petrol) in all reality you should be expecting to get somewhere around 7kmpl if the car is in good shape. But factoring in engine wear...it might not get that figure anymore. A diesel might do 2 or 3 km more per litre. However, I doubt the total cost of ownership between a diesel crossover and a petrol crossover of the same model will be that much different. (For diesels although cost of diesel is lower and you get a bit more kmp, you will need a bit more maintenance work and the purchase price will be a bit higher). A diesel makes sense if you do a lot of travelling and you need a decent amount of low-end torque.

Thanks iRage for the details. I will check the forum for this model. Yes you are correct. Since it is a 20 year old vehicle the condition will depend on the previous owners. From what I gather, it seems there are no major inherent issues with this vehicle. Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Dinu said:

From what I gather, it seems there are no major inherent issues with this vehicle

No...just things like electric seat motors and power window actuators going bad (although rarely)...rear differential acting up if not serviced....things like that...which can and does happen with any car.

• Like 1