• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Axio 2014 - P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

Harshadewa

Question

Hi,

I have a Toyota Axio 2014 car.
Current mileage is around 126200.

Yesterday, while I was driving the car; check engine and several other lights showed up on the dashboard.
It was the first time I experienced this.
Then I took the car to closest place and did a scan.
Im putting images of the scan report.
https://i.postimg.cc/dVcMNgDg/20210519-222150.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/dV9q2Jn5/20210519-222215.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/c4BqjXYH/20210519-222238.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/FHTMFzTX/20210519-222301.jpg

As a temporary solution, they reset the system and all errors disappeared. But they recommended to do a hybrid battery service and replace affected battery cells.

Today, I took the car to Hybrid Hub branch at Colombo.
I showed them the scan report I got yesterday and they said only solution for this problem is to replace the whole battery (either reconditioned or brand new)
They quoted Rs. 390000 for brand new battery with 1 year warranty.

With everything thats going on; Im in a tight situation with money.
On the other hand; I have no plans to sell the car anytime soon because I can't afford to buy something else.

As far as I understand, I believe I have these 3 options:

01. Replace only affected battery cells and take my chances and see how long it will last.
02. Replace whole battery with a reconditioned one
03. Replace whole battery with brand new one.

What advises you guys can give me?
Any places you can recommend?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Get a second opinion. Browns have a hybrid workshop, or any other reputed place. If both shop diagnosis tally then go with a full replacement, cheaper in the long run. Make sure its brand new.

Do not do any control unit modifications.

Edited by MasterDon

Check with TL as well, I have seen some time back they had easy payment schemes for BN Hybrid battery packs. And their prices was also ranging from 350k-400 as I recall. 

I am not saying 400k is cheap, but compared to the prices of latest iphones (which can become useless by just one fall) 400k for a BN battery pack which can give you worry free motoring for another 5-10 years is dirt cheap. 

Edited by GK_007

Thanks for advises. I will check Browns and TL.

What does it really mean by "Reconditioned Battery"?
Is it that its made with healthy cells taken from other different batteries?

As far as I know; for both Reconditioned and Brand New battery they give one/two year warranty.
In that case, what are the downsides if I go for a Reconditioned battery?

Thanks

When you say Reconditioned, it may or may not have gone through cell replacement.

It might be taken out from cars met with accidents, in that case no gurantee on the mileage / lifetime. It may or may not have a significant life remaining.

Its a risky option if you plan to keep the car long term. If I were you I'd buy a BN from TL, dont want to risk spending around 150k for a recon one. 

I have an 2013 car, it too had 10 individula celles replaced. it was done from a place in weliweriya. so far it has held the battery well.

1. you can go to TL and get the battery each unit checked, cost is 4500. 

2. you can get the individual celled replaced.

3. if you can afford buy the battery from TL

4. there are shops in delkanda that does reconditioned battery, and the cost it from 125000 to 250000 and they give a 1 year warrenty.

in the axio/aqua face book you get a lot of chaps offering the recondioned batterty with a warrenty.

I went to Toyota and Browns Hybrid today.
Both of them recommended me to get a brand new battery as I have got the P0A80 code which means I already passed the stage where I can repair it.

TL quoted me 390000 for the battery and everything related to it.

However Browns quoted me 315000 + 50000km or 18 months warranty.
Their explanation for price difference was this.
They are importing the Prius battery which has 28 cells. Then they take 20 cells from that and fix it to Axio as Axio have only 20 cells.
Basically import duty reduction and extra 8 cells which they can use for other vehicle is their explanation for price reduction.

So now I have another question.
Will it cause any harm to the quality of the battery with what they are doing?

Thanks