• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Premio 240 engine repair or replace? Please advise

Husny

Premio 240 oil burning issue, Should I replace/repair the engine?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What would you suggest?

• Replace engine
    • Repair the engine

Hey guys. 

My premio 240 is 2003 YOM 2007 YOR.

Sexy car, no trouble so far unless 1 single issue. 

Which is oil burning too much. 

Around 2 litres consumed for around 2300 km's

But the car pickup is not that bad.

When in gear D and stopped at traffic, I can feel the vibration inside the car. Reason is the cylinder pressure unbalance. 

2nd and 4th cylinder pressure is bit low (150psi), other cylinders are 200psi and 180psi

I think the reason for the engine trouble being that the previous owners hadn't maintained the engine properly.

So my options are

1. Repair the engine (low cost as friends say)

2. Replace the engine (high cost, engine number registration is a real hassle, also the new engine we buy from delkanda or somewhere can have issues while using)

So guys I'm in total confusion state. Please advice. I like my car, because interior and everything is really good condition. only issue is oil consumption.

Please advise.

Edited by Husny
Fixed too much cluttering in poll

Yes, getting a used engine always has that risk and used engines are recommended to be refurbished before putting it in a car. On the other hand, if you have a good source in Japan who can find you a low mileage engine off of a well maintained car that is getting scrapped then it will probably be a better option that the engine already in the car. Now, the reason why I said good source in Japan is, 99% of the parts expoters/importers to/from Sri Lanka just rip the engines off from the car without proper drainage or anythign and then just dump it and the engine sits around in dusty, gunky warehouses and yards for ages.

This is my personal opinion....but if it was me... I would first get the engine removed to see what the state of it is. Fixing it might not be that much of an issue and who knows, maybe as simple as cleaning up sludge and replacing the piston rings, etc....If the engine needs to be rebored, sleeved, etc...then I might think a little about it because if this isn't done properly the engine will run like sh!t and I would want to get a new engine anyway. If it does require a complet and utter re-do (like reboring/porting the engine) then I would go look for a good base engine and rebuild that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes, getting a used engine always has that risk and used engines are recommended to be refurbished before putting it in a car. On the other hand, if you have a good source in Japan who can find you a low mileage engine off of a well maintained car that is getting scrapped then it will probably be a better option that the engine already in the car. Now, the reason why I said good source in Japan is, 99% of the parts expoters/importers to/from Sri Lanka just rip the engines off from the car without proper drainage or anythign and then just dump it and the engine sits around in dusty, gunky warehouses and yards for ages.

This is my personal opinion....but if it was me... I would first get the engine removed to see what the state of it is. Fixing it might not be that much of an issue and who knows, maybe as simple as cleaning up sludge and replacing the piston rings, etc....If the engine needs to be rebored, sleeved, etc...then I might think a little about it because if this isn't done properly the engine will run like sh!t and I would want to get a new engine anyway. If it does require a complet and utter re-do (like reboring/porting the engine) then I would go look for a good base engine and rebuild that.

Thanks the thing is every mechanic I spoke to says negative about engine repair. They even don't want to open the engine. They say it's a very big job and would take so much of time and around 150k+ of money too. 

Do you know a reliable place or person by whom I can just disassemble the engine and find the faults, and maybe then I can get the spare parts needed from panchikawatta and do the job. 

And is it good to get original + reconditioned parts or brandnew japan parts in case of engine repairs? 

20 hours ago, Husny said:

Thanks the thing is every mechanic I spoke to says negative about engine repair. They even don't want to open the engine. They say it's a very big job and would take so much of time and around 150k+ of money too. 

Do you know a reliable place or person by whom I can just disassemble the engine and find the faults, and maybe then I can get the spare parts needed from panchikawatta and do the job. 

And is it good to get original + reconditioned parts or brandnew japan parts in case of engine repairs? 

Well...that is because of one of two things or both...

1. The shop does not have the skills/resources to do a complete engine rebuild and if they mess up even a little bit they will completely screw up the engine.

2. The time it takes and the cash flow for them. For the time it takes for a garage to rebuild the engine they can do many smaller jobs and have more cash flow. Although rebuilding an engine would give them more money they are unlikely to see any of it for a long time.

Now...if your engine needs a rebuild, then yes it might cost about 150,000. But the proper way of putting in a new engine (that is actually used) is also not cheap. a 1NZ-FE engine on the quick site runs for about 85000LKR, then there is the labor of putting the engine in, then ideally you should actually refurbish the engine anyway (check the timing belt, belt drives, change oil seals, etc...so even with a new engine you will be spending more or less the same or even more. Even then you have no guarantees that the engine is not an oil burning pile of crap. The only person benefitting by doing an engine swap without knowing if the existing engine can be rebuilt or not is..yes..you guessed it...the garage. Quick turn around for them, i.e. faster cash and space opened up for another job. Replacing a new engine means you need to go to RMV, get permission and then update the book as well (some people would rather castrate themselves with a plastic butter knife than have to go deal with them).

You can look at places like Platinum Auto Spa (their reputation is sort of a roller coaster ride) or even people like Shafeek...I don't know..maybe those based in SL can actually advice on actual garages. Again, I cannot understand why you are jumping in to an engine rebuild without actually knowing what the problem is...are you certain that a complete rebuild, i.e. boring the cylinders, polishing the heads, tappets, etc...is actually needed ?  it beyond cleaning and replacing piston rings, etc.. ?

Either way, it won't be cheap on you...the cheapest option of course would be to get a used engine and just drop it and take your chances with it (i.e. no refurb); which is what most garages (and people) do. There after if it doesn't work, the garage gets more work :) (which is what most of the garages in SL do...do a quick and dirty job everytime so that they get return business).

oh...and when you go around looking for engines and adverts of engines, they will all say reconditioned. You should know that in SL everything that is used and comes from Japan, etc...are labelled "reconditioned" (a bs term that kept getting used since the 80s when cars were reconditioned). They are in fact as-is engines and you would be lucky if they are at least cleaned. A proper reconditioned engine would have new seals, new timing belt components, valves and other components polished and cleaned, etc...so that the entire engine would be as close to new spec. 

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...that is because of one of two things or both...

1. The shop does not have the skills/resources to do a complete engine rebuild and if they mess up even a little bit they will completely screw up the engine.

2. The time it takes and the cash flow for them. For the time it takes for a garage to rebuild the engine they can do many smaller jobs and have more cash flow. Although rebuilding an engine would give them more money they are unlikely to see any of it for a long time.

Now...if your engine needs a rebuild, then yes it might cost about 150,000. But the proper way of putting in a new engine (that is actually used) is also not cheap. a 1NZ-FE engine on the quick site runs for about 85000LKR, then there is the labor of putting the engine in, then ideally you should actually refurbish the engine anyway (check the timing belt, belt drives, change oil seals, etc...so even with a new engine you will be spending more or less the same or even more. Even then you have no guarantees that the engine is not an oil burning pile of crap. The only person benefitting by doing an engine swap without knowing if the existing engine can be rebuilt or not is..yes..you guessed it...the garage. Quick turn around for them, i.e. faster cash and space opened up for another job. Replacing a new engine means you need to go to RMV, get permission and then update the book as well (some people would rather castrate themselves with a plastic butter knife than have to go deal with them).

You can look at places like Platinum Auto Spa (their reputation is sort of a roller coaster ride) or even people like Shafeek...I don't know..maybe those based in SL can actually advice on actual garages. Again, I cannot understand why you are jumping in to an engine rebuild without actually knowing what the problem is...are you certain that a complete rebuild, i.e. boring the cylinders, polishing the heads, tappets, etc...is actually needed ?  it beyond cleaning and replacing piston rings, etc.. ?

Either way, it won't be cheap on you...the cheapest option of course would be to get a used engine and just drop it and take your chances with it (i.e. no refurb); which is what most garages (and people) do. There after if it doesn't work, the garage gets more work :) (which is what most of the garages in SL do...do a quick and dirty job everytime so that they get return business).

I didnt check if it's a complete rebuild or just pistons. No one willing to open up the engine and diagnose on what has to be done. They say if they open up the engine, its a mess. When thinking about what you said, i think repairing the current engine is more reliable and practical isn't it. I will then go on that path and try to find someone who can fix the engine with reasonable charge and etc. Is platinum auto spa good place to fix engine stuff? Do you have anyone that you know there?

Thanks

21 hours ago, Husny said:

I didnt check if it's a complete rebuild or just pistons. No one willing to open up the engine and diagnose on what has to be done. They say if they open up the engine, its a mess. When thinking about what you said, i think repairing the current engine is more reliable and practical isn't it. I will then go on that path and try to find someone who can fix the engine with reasonable charge and etc. Is platinum auto spa good place to fix engine stuff? Do you have anyone that you know there?

Thanks

Again, yes and no..it depends on what is actually wrong with the engine....if the engine is sludged or cylinders are worn out beyond a certain point then it would be better to get a new engine. I seriously doubt reboring and/or resleeving cylinders, etc...is really that worth it for a 1NZ engine. So removing the top off the engine would be a good start....yes...removing the top is messy...but c'mon. the garages you have been talking to seem to be the type I mentioned where they just want to do a quick job and get you out their door for quick turnaround times and quick money. FInd an engine that you are willing to buy, just in case you need it. Remove the top and see what is actually going on. Then do an assessment as to whether you want the new engine refurbished or the old engine fixed. But remember, you MUST get RMV approval for an engine swap and update the book later on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Again, yes and no..it depends on what is actually wrong with the engine....if the engine is sludged or cylinders are worn out beyond a certain point then it would be better to get a new engine. I seriously doubt reboring and/or resleeving cylinders, etc...is really that worth it for a 1NZ engine. So removing the top off the engine would be a good start....yes...removing the top is messy...but c'mon. the garages you have been talking to seem to be the type I mentioned where they just want to do a quick job and get you out their door for quick turnaround times and quick money. FInd an engine that you are willing to buy, just in case you need it. Remove the top and see what is actually going on. Then do an assessment as to whether you want the new engine refurbished or the old engine fixed. But remember, you MUST get RMV approval for an engine swap and update the book later on.

Thanks bro 🙏.  I'll check 

HUSNY,

First of all get a Compression test of the Engine.

Get a good mechanic who has tools and had removed new car engines to give you a quote first.

Check with Edirasinghe Brother,s (Gamini Joint Director is no more, hos Bro is there) They do entire engine rebuilding to give a quote from for a complete rebuild. They have almost all necessary spares for rebuilding the engine.

Get rebuild engine reassembled and do a test run then you can satisfy your self that you can use for some time.

If you go for a imported used engine from a dealer, no one can say the condition of the engine. I don't think any one has a facility in private sector for Engine testing unit. CTB had one in Werahara Central work shop. I remember that unit was dismantled and taken to a unknown place. After that no news of same.

Some times big companies like Dixo/ Bxw Toxxa Axw may have. I have not been to their work shops for some time although my assistants go to those places, they do not have knowledge to find out those thins, They complete their entrusted jobs and come back.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

3 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Get a good mechanic who has tools and had removed new car engines to give you a quote first.

Check with Edirasinghe Brother,s (Gamini Joint Director is no more, hos Bro is there) They do entire engine rebuilding to give a quote from for a complete rebuild. They have almost all necessary spares for rebuilding the engine.

A bit off topic and this what I have been saying Mr. Sylvi...these days the issue is 99% of garages and mechanics can't and wont actually fix cars. All they know and want is to swap parts and hope that it solves the problem. If it solves the problem they made quick business/money. If the problem does not get fixed, they have more business. Garages also don't seem to care because they just want to fix something to make the car work and finish the job so a new job canbe taken. The garage/garages HUSNY seem to have spoken to just wants to swap the engine without even checking what the problem was in the first place or assessing how much it would cost (and all these guys do is just clean up the outside and dump it in to the cars...no reconditioning of the new engine or anything).

iRage,

I read all replies in that topic no one had given a answer for him to get the job done to his sati's faction. All give him advice which he cannot decide what to do.

As you say every (Garages and single persons who do repairs) one today wants to change parts.

I have mentioned this some time back and said that we do not have a machine to test used Shock absorbers. Few days back a person gave me a call and wanted to know where he can test a shock absorber. I told him to my knowledge no one has.

In Sri Lanka we have only many places where they do entire car Shock absorber testing stations.

I came across a car owner who came to me to get my Automobile service what I do about three months back and he related his story. When his car got some trouble in Colombo and he was unable to travel to Kandy.

He met a mechanic on the road  and that person had got him to spend thirty thousand rupees, two days still the job was not correct. At last one person changed all parts of ignition system then the car engine came back to original condition.

You say I am off the topic, may be how you think.

I recommended the best place to get his engine done up, if the compression test is not correct. For that have to dismantle the entire engine examine the rings engine pistons and bore. Then decide the next step.

According to his first post.

2nd and 4th cylinder pressure is bit low (150psi), other cylinders are 200psi and 180psi)     

There is a difference in Engine compression. To my knowledge for that the engine has to remove and examine.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.