• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil burining Corolla 141

Sirimanna

When you say it gos to a lower level...are you saying it goes down to the low mark on your dip stick ? How much is low ?

It will help to know how much it lowers by...so fill up to the fill mark...then use it for 1000km (? 5000?)...then top up the oil (do not change.TOP UP (i.e. put additional oil to what is already in the engine after 5000km), and see how much you had to put in for the engine oil to be at the fill level on the dip stick.

It is normal for the engine to reduce oil. Whether it is the normal reduction or not depends on how much oil is actually getting lost.

On 12/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, iRage said:

When you say it gos to a lower level...are you saying it goes down to the low mark on your dip stick ? How much is low ?

It will help to know how much it lowers by...so fill up to the fill mark...then use it for 1000km (? 5000?)...then top up the oil (do not change.TOP UP (i.e. put additional oil to what is already in the engine after 5000km), and see how much you had to put in for the engine oil to be at the fill level on the dip stick.

It is normal for the engine to reduce oil. Whether it is the normal reduction or not depends on how much oil is actually getting lost.

Hello iRage.. its actually move in to lower dot of the stick every 5000KM.. please refer the image.. is it normal?

141.PNG

That is a lot...so no...for an engine in good health that is not normal. Do you see any oil stains in the engine ? on the ground where the car is parked ? Does the engine smoke (even moderately) and have an oil burning scent ? Do you see traces of oil in your coolant ? Do you have engine sludge ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, iRage said:

That is a lot...so no...for an engine in good health that is not normal. Do you see any oil stains in the engine ? on the ground where the car is parked ? Does the engine smoke (even moderately) and have an oil burning scent ? Do you see traces of oil in your coolant ? Do you have engine sludge ?

Hi friend, I went to Toyota and they checked and said that one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles to be acceptable.. according to Toyota this is normal,, but i have no idea ...

19 hours ago, Sirimanna said:

Hi friend, I went to Toyota and they checked and said that one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles to be acceptable.. according to Toyota this is normal,, but i have no idea ...

"one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles" <-- this is a statement straight out of the internet. I cannot beleive that Toy#ta L#nka actually even stated it in quarts and miles and not in Litres and Kilometers.

The above statement holds for a worn out old engine or an engine that gets used under heavy load or a car used as what manufacturers call severe use. For a healthy engine that is under normal use that is too much (unless the engine has worn out). Think about it this way...in some markets that engine is rated to run for 10,000km or 1 year between oil changes so they are designed to be low in oil consumption. In fact, most user manuals will say the car can use UPTO 0.8-1Ltr per 1000km. This number is there to show what their tolerance levels are before accepting something is wrong and trying to fix it. For reference, we have a 2008 RAV4 with 87,000km (mileage is actual as we had the car since it was 6 months old in Japan); and that burns less than a litre of oil every 5000km-ish. On the dip stick it just shows about 1/5th lower than the upper mark (the gap between the two marks of the dip stick show about 1L of oil. My 2013 Fortuner with 54,000 barely showed any loss of oil between changes and I used it roughtly 800km per month.

So...I would still say your oil consumption is high (yes within tolerances of what the mnuafcturer says it can be) and indicates that the engine is not working optimally anymore. It would be normal if your engine has a high mileage and is worn out and you have not done any rebuilds to it. If not, this could be that the engine has worn out (could be that although the mileage shows its low; it actually is higher or that the car is used heavily),a build up of sludge, oil seaping out of the seals or an oil leak (again, none of these are anythign that the agent would worry about and create work for itself nor does it mean that you need to go and get an engine rebuild). I would still recommend you take it to a reputable garage and get the engine checked out to see if it has sludge inside or if there are any oil seapage from any of the seals. Get a compression check done, etc... Best case, it might be that the engine is just worn out and there really is nothing to be done....middle case is that you have sludge buildup that needs to be sorted out and seals replaced. Worst case is that your piston rings and valve seals are caput and you need to redo all that.

What is the mileage of your car ? Have you done a compression check on it ? What is your exhaust gas like ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 5:53 PM, iRage said:

"one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles" <-- this is a statement straight out of the internet. I cannot beleive that Toy#ta L#nka actually even stated it in quarts and miles and not in Litres and Kilometers.

The above statement holds for a worn out old engine or an engine that gets used under heavy load or a car used as what manufacturers call severe use. For a healthy engine that is under normal use that is too much (unless the engine has worn out). Think about it this way...in some markets that engine is rated to run for 10,000km or 1 year between oil changes so they are designed to be low in oil consumption. In fact, most user manuals will say the car can use UPTO 0.8-1Ltr per 1000km. This number is there to show what their tolerance levels are before accepting something is wrong and trying to fix it. For reference, we have a 2008 RAV4 with 87,000km (mileage is actual as we had the car since it was 6 months old in Japan); and that burns less than a litre of oil every 5000km-ish. On the dip stick it just shows about 1/5th lower than the upper mark (the gap between the two marks of the dip stick show about 1L of oil. My 2013 Fortuner with 54,000 barely showed any loss of oil between changes and I used it roughtly 800km per month.

So...I would still say your oil consumption is high (yes within tolerances of what the mnuafcturer says it can be) and indicates that the engine is not working optimally anymore. It would be normal if your engine has a high mileage and is worn out and you have not done any rebuilds to it. If not, this could be that the engine has worn out (could be that although the mileage shows its low; it actually is higher or that the car is used heavily),a build up of sludge, oil seaping out of the seals or an oil leak (again, none of these are anythign that the agent would worry about and create work for itself nor does it mean that you need to go and get an engine rebuild). I would still recommend you take it to a reputable garage and get the engine checked out to see if it has sludge inside or if there are any oil seapage from any of the seals. Get a compression check done, etc... Best case, it might be that the engine is just worn out and there really is nothing to be done....middle case is that you have sludge buildup that needs to be sorted out and seals replaced. Worst case is that your piston rings and valve seals are caput and you need to redo all that.

What is the mileage of your car ? Have you done a compression check on it ? What is your exhaust gas like ?

Hi .. Thank you soo much for your comment.. yes this is from internet.. I have another car toyota vitz while  I am doing service  it from the compnay, I ask about my 141 from  mechanic, this is what he said .. I sent an email to the Toyota  main company .. and they sent the user manual in pdf format, it said . It's normal to burn so much oil. :(

image.png.0a31373918af712295fb60c267d77b04.png

image.png

31 minutes ago, Sirimanna said:

Hi .. Thank you soo much for your comment.. yes this is from internet.. I have another car toyota vitz while  I am doing service  it from the compnay, I ask about my 141 from  mechanic, this is what he said .. I sent an email to the Toyota  main company .. and they sent the user manual in pdf format, it said . It's normal to burn so much oil. :(

Was it burning that much oil when the first owner bought the car back in 2008? I'm sure it didn't because none of the 141s I've seen burn that much oil - in fact, there is no noticeable oil burn between 5000km routine maintenance services at all.

So stop trying to convince yourself what is going on with your car is normal and get it inspected and repaired by a competent mechanic or the agents.

It is wihin the manufacturer's tolerances. This is so that they do not have to raise service issues because a worn out engine is burning oil. Yes...an engine can burn up to that much oil abut that doesn't mean it should unless it has one of the issues I mentioned before....

go get it checked out....

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a Corolla 141 2008 as my first car. I recently noticed an abnormal sound from the engine so I checked the engine oil after 12 hours the last engine started. I almost ran only 3000 KM after the last oil change. I haven't ever noticed an oil leakage. The oil level is zero. No oil. I know it is fairly abnormal. What should I do? Anything I should know before getting it checked? I don't know much about car engines so your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Sahan Dissanayake said:

I recently noticed an abnormal sound from the engine so I checked the engine oil after 12 hours the last engine started

The oil level is zero. No oil.

I hope you are at a reputed garage or at the agents with the car now. Zero oil -> there has to be a good (shitty actually) reason for this. @iRage has explained many possible reasons above 👆. You said you haven't seen any leakages (at least none that you can see). Can an engine burn all of it's oil? Share what your mechanic had to say.

19 hours ago, amsandun said:

Can an engine burn all of it's oil?

Yes....but it would be fairly obvious with all kinds of smoke and smells.

I wonder how the water lines are.

21 hours ago, Sahan Dissanayake said:

I recently bought a Corolla 141 2008 as my first car.

Sorry you have to go through this in your fairly new car. I hope it is getting sorted out.

Apart from some of the reasons I cited above, you might also have a case where the oil is actually leaking into the gearbox housing through a worn rear-end crank seal. The oil has to go somewhere...so it either gets burnt, sludged/gel'd up or leaked out.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, The engine is tuned up, and no black smoke either. I used 10W-30 oil when I changed, The mileage is 140K, Of course, it might have run more than that probably because the seller has changed the meter. The car oil indicator did not warn me about this I think the bulb was removed too, So I plan to top up the engine with the same oil and take the car to the garage. I will update you guys with their opinions. 

it might have run more than that probably because the seller has changed the meter

Were you aware or had suspicions about this matter before buying the car? It's sad that people think low mileage cars demand better rather than taking good care, properly maintain and keep it genuine.

1 hour ago, amsandun said:

Were you aware or had suspicions about this matter before buying the car?

I don't trust people who are selling, So I did not care about the mileage. But got it checked by an agent. But not from Toy#ta L#nka.

Going further with the issue I am having, As there is no oil lever up I top up with 4T loose oil, After adding two liters this is the level it shows. Also, that strange sound is gone. 

image.thumb.png.dd75cf97d2b709ebb4a26e3e6472ec4e.png