• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to import some car parts for personal use these days?

banned

I need to import a plastic bodykit, carbon fiber bonnet and 4 alloy wheels for my car.

Everyone telling that its not possible to import spare parts via Sea freights these days because of the import ban.

So I've decided to import them through Air freight (UPS & FedEx) and would like to know if there any restriction for that too?

All payments are done with USD currency by my foriegn friend.

***Update - 2022/10/14

There are no restrictions on importing spare parts. I imported all parts without any problem via Air Freight. But the taxes are too high. VAT and Tax was about 70% of total value.

Edited by banned

15 hours ago, banned said:

I need to import a plastic bodykit, carbon fiber bonnet and 4 alloy wheels for my car.

Everyone telling that its not possible to import spare parts via Sea freights these days because of the import ban.

So I've decided to import them through Air freight (UPS & FedEx) and would like to know if there any restriction for that too?

All payments are done with USD currency by my foriegn friend.

I would strongly suggest you call up customs or at the very least a clearing agent and see what the true situation is. The ban is not necessarily on imports but the outward remitance of foreign currency....so what ever ban you are looking at it is going to apply to any kind of shipment (air or sea, an exception probably would be someone actually carrying the items in).

As long as you can show that the parts were bought from funds that were outside of the country and "gifted to you" or paid in local currency to a local party, you might be in the clear and free to import it irrespective of what the shipment method is.

Even if your foreign friend pays for the parts abroad, you might still have trouble if you have to send him USD. Talking through experience where my friend wanted to send me JPY and he had issues making an international transfer...he was able to send only a small amount. AND when they ask why you want to send the money to your friend and have to give a reason..they might reject it all together (thus the reason for the ban of cerain items).

Better check this out BEFORE you ship the items (freight or sea cargo). At this point in time things are fluid; so not everyone will have the same experience as the situation is different for each. There is no one who can give you a definitive answer....in my case I have been able to buy all parts and mail it over to my friends and they depositted money in my local account..and no one cared a rat's behind about it...I just mailed them saying "personal items" with some random notes. But then none of these were as large as a body kit.

Also, air freighting a bonnet is not going to be cheap due to its dimensions.

Edited by iRage

Importation of Spare parts is not banned but they are getting Taxed (40% for Brand new parts and not sure about used parts). recently ordered multiple items (Small interior bits, side ventilator, mind you this is big box) without getting taxed. better to call up clearing agent or custom directly and see as @iRage suggested.

1 hour ago, Ruslan said:

(40% for Brand new parts and not sure about used parts

What I sent were used parts and brand new parts unboxed. They just charged like a very small percentage on it. In one instance for 27,000LKR worth of parts they had charged 900LKR for taxes :) So...for used parts it depends on the invoiced value. Standard rate is 40% or even plus depending on the part.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

I would strongly suggest you call up customs or at the very least a clearing agent and see what the true situation is. The ban is not necessarily on imports but the outward remitance of foreign currency....so what ever ban you are looking a it is going to apply to any kind of shipment (air or sea, an exception probably would be someone actually carrying the items in). As long as you can show that the parts were bought from funds that were outside of the country and "gifted to you" or paid in local currency to a local party, you might be in the clear and free to import it irrespective of what the shipment method is. But better check this out BEFORE you ship the items (freight or sea cargo). At this point in time things are fluid; so not everyone will have the same experience as the situation is different for each. There is no one who can give you a definitive answer....in my case I have been able to buy sall parts and mail it over to my friends and they depositted money in my local account..and no one cared a rats behind about it...I just mailed them saying "personal items" with some random notes. But then none of these were as large as a body kit.

1 hour ago, Ruslan said:

Importation of Spare parts is not banned but they are getting Taxed (40% for Brand new parts and not sure about used parts). recently ordered multiple items (Small interior bits, side ventilator, mind you this is big box) without getting taxed. better to call up clearing agent or custom directly and see as @iRage suggested.

I already contacted some clearing agent companies and a custom officer (friend of my friend). They just told me that don’t import these days and your package will be ceased. 

To import via Sea, they told me that you need an approval license from Import and Export Control. So I’ve tried to get an approval and they refused to issue an approval because of the restrictions of import vehicle spare parts.

56 minutes ago, banned said:

To import via Sea, they told me that you need an approval license from Import and Export Control. So I’ve tried to get an approval and they refused to issue an approval because of the restrictions of import vehicle spare parts.

well..in that case it is going to apply for sea freight as well...because the ban is for the part. Not for the part depending on the shipping method. So you might have equal trouble when clearing it from customs at the airport (which you or your customs agent will have to do as companies like DHL will not handle such large items..especially those that can potentially lead to issues). If Export Control says it will be ceased only if it comes through sea freight and the ban does not apply to air freight...you should get that in formal writing.

I suppose in my case it worked because..1. they were small parts 2. they were just sent over as personal items for gifts and there was no actual international transaction. But then again things might have gotten stricter with the latest ban. So better not do it.

Edited by iRage

10 hours ago, iRage said:

well..in that case it is going to apply for sea freight as well...because the ban is for the part. Not for the part depending on the shipping method. So you might have equal trouble when clearing it from customs at the airport (which you or your customs agent will have to do as companies like DHL will not handle such large items..especially those that can potentially lead to issues). If Export Control says it will be ceased only if it comes through sea freight and the ban does not apply to air freight...you should get that in formal writing.

I suppose in my case it worked because..1. they were small parts 2. they were just sent over as personal items for gifts and there was no actual international transaction. But then again things might have gotten stricter with the latest ban. So better not do it.

Before the latest ban they allowed to import spare parts through air freight. Also they allowed to import through Sea freight if you have import license.

I tried importing a spoiler for my car in June via sea and the clearing company told me that you need a license. So I imported it through UPS and it came without any trouble and cleared by customs. This was two months ago.

Then I tried to import these parts after the latest ban. They are temporarily stop giving import license and importing through air freight also not possible like last time. This was told by a custom officer. I asked from UPS sri lankan agent (Fits Express Sri Lanka) and they also confirmed it too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, banned said:

Before the latest ban they allowed to import spare parts through air freight. Also they allowed to import through Sea freight if you have import license.

I tried importing a spoiler for my car in June via sea and the clearing company told me that you need a license. So I imported it through UPS and it came without any trouble and cleared by customs. This was two months ago.

Then I tried to import these parts after the latest ban. They are temporarily stop giving import license and importing through air freight also not possible like last time. This was told by a custom officer. I asked from UPS sri lankan agent (Fits Express Sri Lanka) and they also confirmed it too.

Does this affect something purchased via ebay and sent through DHL or EMS?

1 minute ago, tiv said:

Does this affect something purchased via ebay and sent through DHL or EMS?

FedEx custom service told me that, it only affects if the item’s HS code in the suspended list. They told me to check the HS codes in the gazette before importing 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

This is the latest one. Look for the 2021 November gazette which announced the banned items for the first time. But they allowed to import with license or by air freights. After the recent ban they stopped that too. As I heard now they cease the packages.

1 hour ago, banned said:

This is the latest one. Look for the 2021 November gazette which announced the banned items for the first time. But they allowed to import with license or by air freights. After the recent ban they stopped that too. As I heard now they cease the packages.

After November i had ordered Bumper Mount clips, 2 bonnet hinges, Wire Harness and  recently ventilator Apart from Ventilator other's were imported through Aramex (Partsouq). no issues.

1 hour ago, Ruslan said:

After November i had ordered Bumper Mount clips, 2 bonnet hinges, Wire Harness and  recently ventilator Apart from Ventilator other's were imported through Aramex (Partsouq). no issues.

Yeah, me too ordered a spoiler for my car two months ago through UPS without any issue. But now they telling it’s not possible

So it seems like they have clamped down everything since the latest ban. Probably because people were using the loop hole to get things down and Forex kept of going out.

Body parts are something you can live with....but some of those things are ridiculous. Like clutches and bearings...or even thigs that kids need to go to school.

As for the parts..the ban can have a positive if they play their cards right when lifting the ban. Like measures to stop the importation of fake/sub-standard parts (like authorizing only the local agents to import original parts in to the country and authorized agents get original parts from them...this is what was somewhat happening in the early 80s). This whole any idiot can go to China and buy a stock of any parts and bring it over has totally screwed us.

• Like 1

I too called a very informative petrolhead working in the customs, got to speak to him via a friend, he said they are re-shipping anything and everything that fits the ban, his prediction was soon US post, china post, Japan post and other postal organizations will stop shipping to SL as they are reshipping tons and tons of rejects these days. His simple word was 90% of imports we use are banned related to the automotive sector, 

Edited by tiv
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, tiv said:

I too called a very informative petrolhead working in the customs, got to speak to him via a friend, he said they are re-shipping anything and everything that fits the ban, his prediction was soon US post, china post, Japan post and other postal organizations will stop shipping to SL as they are reshipping tons and tons of rejects these days. His simple word was 90% of imports we use are banned related to the automotive sector, 

Ohhh thats Bad Really really bad.. thankfully most of the parts which i was intended to restore the Bodywork is almost completed for my Vitara. The LED (Auxito) High beams got it yesterday as well without any issues through UPS) as final touches. Pending work is to get the Mountings (Both Engine and Diff mounts) observed slightly small crack on rear Diff mount, nothing major but Engine mounts has to go) and Timing chain kit plus Valve stem seals (Yes i'm seeing Blue smoke at cold starts). 

Anyway these are really bad days for restorations 😑

Edited by Ruslan