• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Super Diesel Vs Normal Diesel

Iroshana Cooray

Hi Guys, I use a micro Korando and I have to be on Super diesel as per the company. Recent shortage in Super diesel made me look in for the alternatives and ways to make sure that I take care of the engine as well as I find fuel. Thought of sharing what I found while reading and opening this for the benefit of others. 

Main reasons for using Super Diesel is Sulfur content in the Super diesel which is Low sulfur fuel and cetane number. Which is required for the Common rail Injection system as well other engine components and mainly for the DPF. As high sulfur content will make sulfur acid which is bad for the modern engine components and SO2 which is effecting the DPF. These were the main reasons which I found among others. Europe and developed countries are very strict in the emissions and fuel economy. Therefore new diesel engines are designed for Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel.

Experts Please have your inputs to this as there are lot of us, who are looking for Super diesel for CRD systems and DPF system.

Below are main differences I've identified in the two fuels among the many in the specs. Which was the concern for me.

image.png.75cb8773e2cbe1a9b37c89474e27d6e7.png

Specs for both Fuel mentioned below. IOC also sells Lanka Super Diesel which they buy from Ceypetco.

Technical Specification : Lanka Super Diesel Euro 4 – CEYPETCO

Technical Specification : Lanka Auto Diesel (A0013L99) – CEYPETCO

Then I started looking for the ways to improve these two.

1. Initially I was told to use Soltrone. But when looked at the product Soltrone is not improving the fuel quality as in the Cetane or Octane but triggers a catalytic reaction, breaking and cleaving long-chain hydrocarbons which will improve the combustions. So no effect on the Sulfur content of the fuel, but seems that it will reduce the exhaust of CO2, CO, HC, SO2, NO2. This is basically improving the combustion of fuel. Therefore I didn't use Soltrone for the my purpose. (Of course that was after using couple of times).

Details can be found 

soltron-The most economical, eco-friendly, fuel saver (sol4lanka.com)

2. Then I found about Wurth DIESEL CURE. Buy Diesel Cure online (wurth.lk). This product seems to be improving the cetane number and reducing the Sulfur content in the means of neutralizing the Sulfur. You can refer below video for the details. Wurth Dieselcure & Fuelcure Demonstration - YouTube. This was used and saw that the engine became smoother but availability was an issue also the cost increased significantly for continuous use when it became available.

3. Last product I came across was Eco Tablets. Which is having ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)certification on the cetane number increase and this is also neutralizing the Sulfur in fuel again certified by the ASTM. Also it has other other tests included the following. ASTM D 4737 (Cetane Index Test), ASTM D 5185 (Sulphur Content Test), ASTM D 974 (Total Acid Number Test), ASTM D 86 (Distillation Recovery Basis Test). This is also improving the quality of fuel. I have spoken to the technical engineer there and he confirmed that they use chemical reaction to neutralize Sulfur which was the main concern for me. Eco tablet is also advices not to use the product with Super Diesel as it contain other additives which is used in it.

Details can be found in the below link. 

ECO DIESEL 10 Tablets Box – Eco Tablet Sri Lanka

There are also some videos in YouTube regarding the products if you can watch them. 

For me I was using the Wurth DIESEL CURE and currently using the Eco Diesel Tablets as I was convinced by the details which they have on their products.

I'm posting this hoping this might benefit some one who has the same issue as I. 

Again I'm not an expert in this subject only sharing what I read and researched regarding this subject and request Experts to comment on the same.

Edited by Iroshana Cooray
delete repeated content
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, fiat fan said:

@iRage why do smell some guerrilla marketing? 

Hi, I was stressed and paranoid about the fuel as I was told this will affect the injector pump and injectors which is estimated at close to 1mn, there were few people whos vehicle got issues due to the condition of the fuel, eg Rexton, Kyron and Hilux what I've heard. That's why I wrote this hoping that someone might benefit or on the other hand an expert can give me more knowledge on the subject. 

BTW I've attached diesel filter which I've changed after 20k. Originally was told to change every 40K. 

IMG-20220908-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by Iroshana Cooray

On 9/10/2022 at 3:54 AM, fiat fan said:

@iRage why do smell some guerrilla marketing? 

Yeah...I was wondering what was up with that as well...but after ooking at his past posts I figured he was giving a long winded explanation/write-up-of experience. Let's see if any of the other Admins have any concerns.

Both my Mitsubishis, i've owned from new, never been on Normal Diesel, but given the circumstances I had to use normal diesel, no issues to date, checked with unimo, they said all the state owned ones were on normal diesel since new and no issues. 

Used normal diesel in my Sorento for the past 3 months without an issue so far. Didn't felt any difference to be honest. Used W**th super diesel additive and S*P injector cleaner once or twice. Those did make some difference in terms of smoothness and fuel economy but not by very much. My experience with eco tablets is neutral. Btw mine doesn't have DPF.

Edited by hrm

7 hours ago, hrm said:

Used normal diesel in my Sorento for the past 3 months without an issue so far. Didn't felt any difference to be honest. Used W**th super diesel additive and S*P injector cleaner once or twice. Those did make some difference in terms of smoothness and fuel economy but not by very much. My experience with eco tablets is neutral. Btw mine doesn't have DPF.

There is a gem merchant I know who owns a diesel sorento, the car has done 600,000+km, replaced only turbo once, one set of injectors replaced apparently, current turbo also spewing oil so bit of white smoke, front 4wd diff mechanism is shot, but otherwise the car has done the miles with no issue, just brakes and tires apparently. The block has still not been opened. He runs on whatever diesel he can find, and doesn't care an ounce about the car. 

Daily driven from Beruwala to Ratnapura and Kandy by numerous drivers. The reliability of these cars are really underrated. Sadly he says the agent is now failing to cover the brand and people are at a shortage of parts. Same with KIA.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tiv said:

There is a gem merchant I know who owns a diesel sorento, the car has done 600,000+km, replaced only turbo once, one set of injectors replaced apparently, current turbo also spewing oil so bit of white smoke, front 4wd diff mechanism is shot, but otherwise the car has done the miles with no issue, just brakes and tires apparently. The block has still not been opened. He runs on whatever diesel he can find, and doesn't care an ounce about the car. 

Daily driven from Beruwala to Ratnapura and Kandy by numerous drivers. The reliability of these cars are really underrated. Sadly he says the agent is now failing to cover the brand and people are at a shortage of parts. Same with KIA.

Agent is always a disappointment.  The only problem I see in KIA.

On 9/10/2022 at 5:41 PM, Iroshana Cooray said:

BTW I've attached diesel filter which I've changed after 20k. Originally was told to change every 40K. 

IMG-20220908-WA0000.jpeg

Was this filter changed before using the eco tablet or later? A friend of mine also faced such an experience after starting to use eco pills. Finally, the eco pill's deposits cost him a Rs. 3 million repair since he's using a very expensive car.