• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hilux Suspension

derek_wick

Question

Recently bought 2008 hilux, as soon as hits a pot hole it break my back, actually I got a neck pain driving for few kms.

I need to know where I can get suspension checked, is there any way I can softer the suspension

13 answers to this question

17 hours ago, derek_wick said:

Recently bought 2008 hilux, as soon as hits a pot hole it break my back, actually I got a neck pain driving for few kms.

I need to know where I can get suspension checked, is there any way I can softer the suspension

When you say get your suspension checked are you talking about checking the shock absorbers?

Take it to a decent garage. Get it diagnosed. It could be that the dampers are worn out and the leaf springs have lost tension and some workaround has been done to keep it from sagging. On the other hand..if you are coming from a sedan like car..you will find the normal suspension of something like a Hilux rather harsh.

• Thanks 1

Actually I'm having a wagon r as my daily driver. If I drive 15kms on hilux it breaks my back and neck. And wearing a collar for the neck already because of it 🤒.

Yes when I mention suspension. I'm thinking of shocks and leaf springs. 

When it hits a pot whole , it dive like a land master and then the rear bounces off 😁

Can I know a reliable place in some where around negombo to colombo or kadawatha to colombo. To get it checked. 

I'm new to maintaing old vehicles, and I believe the seat is too sunked and it might have an effect if I'm not wrong. 

If so will there be places I can buy relatively good seats or else, something good I can do for the seats while fixing suspension.

Thanks iRage

1 hour ago, derek_wick said:

Can I know a reliable place in some where around negombo to colombo or kadawatha to colombo. To get it checked

Sorry I don't live in SL long enough to know reliable garages around the areas you have mentioned. Hopefully some of the other members can make some recommendations.

I believe the seat is too sunked and it might have an effect if I'm not wrong. 

Well...15 years of (harsh?) use can wear out the springs inside the seat. Especially the driver's side seat as that is what gets used the most.

places I can buy relatively good seats or else, something good I can do for the seats while fixing suspension.

Well...depending on the condition of the seat you might be able to get it refurbished by a decent upholstery shop. If not, then your option would be to buy a set of used seats from one of these upholstery shops or car part importers.

But yeah...get the suspension sorted out...if the car behaves as badly as you say it does...my guess is that the dampers (shock absorbers) and leaf springs are shot. You should not drive a car with bad suspension. Especially at any high speed. Worn out suspension will make the car understeer because of the extra body roll and also effect braking (because of how the weight transfers). 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Sorry I don't live in SL long enough to know reliable garages around the areas you have mentioned. Hopefully some of the other members can make some recommendations.

Well...15 years of (harsh?) use can wear out the springs inside the seat. Especially the driver's side seat as that is what gets used the most.

Well...depending on the condition of the seat you might be able to get it refurbished by a decent upholstery shop. If not, then your option would be to buy a set of used seats from one of these upholstery shops or car part importers.

But yeah...get the suspension sorted out...if the car behaves as badly as you say it does...my guess is that the dampers (shock absorbers) and leaf springs are shot. You should not drive a car with bad suspension. Especially at any high speed. Worn out suspension will make the car understeer because of the extra body roll and also effect braking (because of how the weight transfers). 

Thank You Very Much iRage for  the information 

On 4/10/2023 at 11:15 AM, Twin Turbo said:

Get na pol bush kit.

I don't really understand, I did a Google search did not get any idea. 

Will you be able to send me a reference

Thanks Twin Turbo

Edited by derek_wick

On 4/11/2023 at 11:04 AM, derek_wick said:

When it hits a pot whole , it dive like a land master and then the rear bounces off 😁

This is how worn rear suspension components feel. There's a place at Nugegoda that I got done my leaf springs. They did a very good job for a reasonable fee. 

Don't expect the body-on-chassis construction to have the same comfort as a monocoque car. But the rear end shouldn't bounce off in any roadworthy vehicle. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, varotone said:

This is how worn rear suspension components feel. There's a place at Nugegoda that I got done my leaf springs. They did a very good job for a reasonable fee. 

Don't expect the body-on-chassis construction to have the same comfort as a monocoque car. But the rear end shouldn't bounce off in any roadworthy vehicle. 

Thanks do you rememeber the place, or will it be very expensive. To buy brand new leaf springs, recondition is it an option, I have no idea at all about these and what to do, what would work better?

Edited by derek_wick

No need to replace the leaf springs unless the steel leafs are worn out, rusted, or broken. What usually wears out are the rubber bushes, the plastic square bits between the metal leafs and the shock absorber. If the spring is bent out of shape, they will hammer it and correct the curvature. 

If you have to replace the shock absorber that will be bit expensive. No point in repairing old shock absorbers.

Cost depends on what needs to be done. My case only the bushes and the shock absorber needed replacement. The u bolts, shackles and leafs were good. It was around 4k for labor, another 5k for bushes, 11k for the shock absorbers.

You can always go and get a quotation beforehand.

I'll DM you the contact details.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, varotone said:

No need to replace the leaf springs unless the steel leafs are worn out, rusted, or broken. What usually wears out are the rubber bushes, the plastic square bits between the metal leafs and the shock absorber. If the spring is bent out of shape, they will hammer it and correct the curvature. 

If you have to replace the shock absorber that will be bit expensive. No point in repairing old shock absorbers.

Cost depends on what needs to be done. My case only the bushes and the shock absorber needed replacement. The u bolts, shackles and leafs were good. It was around 4k for labor, another 5k for bushes, 11k for the shock absorbers.

You can always go and get a quotation beforehand.

I'll DM you the contact details.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Cheers 

Thanks Varotone,

I yesterday learnt that, my 4x4 doesn't work properly 🤣, it engages from the 4×4 gear lever, but the front differential doesn't get locked, I assume since the rear wheels sunked, without turning the front 🙃.

Can I know where I can get 4x4 issue checked. This is an Auto.

It seems to be an expensive learning curve and that I have got caught to a vehicle which was not maintained properly too.

10 hours ago, derek_wick said:

the front differential doesn't get locked, I assume since the rear wheels sunked, without turning the front

Locking the diff and 4x4 are two different things.

If the front diff is locked, the front wheel without traction should not spin freely.

If you switch to 4LO and the only the rear wheels are spinning (without traction and digging yourself further) then 4LO is not engaging.

You can check if the diff is locked properly by jacking up one wheel and trying to turn it by hand. If it can spin freely, that means the diff lock is not engaged.

Sorry I don't know any good places to check the 4x4

• Thanks 1