• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Procedure For Applying An International Drivers Licence

Stingray

Hi guys

not sure if there was a similar thread before, anyhow does anyone know the exact procedure? appreciate if someone who has obtained one would brief on it.

Thanks!

Hi

Ya it’s pretty simple. Go to the AA ( near Holiday Inn) and they will give you a form to fill in. I recall it been Rs.25/- and the whole process would come up to around Rs.6000/- this would change on the number of countries and type of vehicle.

Cheers

Hi

Ya it’s pretty simple. Go to the AA ( near Holiday Inn) and they will give you a form to fill in. I recall it been Rs.25/- and the whole process would come up to around Rs.6000/- this would change on the number of countries and type of vehicle.

Cheers

Hi mazdaspeed

Thanks for the reply, is the whole process done with AA or do i also have to go to the RMV and haggle around?

any idea how long it will take to get one?

AND it wont cost that much. AA would send back their guys to RMV and check all the relavent details.

NORMAL: around 2

ONE DAY: around 4

may be if more countries that would be more. i THINK

- got done both my brothers INTERNATIONAL D/L's, but ther was a X-person(who just went and submitted) and it was only 4000/- for both, i mean the AA charge..

Edited by Kim

The AA tries to get you to purchase AA membership as well apart from the international driving licence which is how the costs creep up, this is not necessary, simply opt out of membership and as kim says the cost should be arround 2000 per person

The Don

Hi mazdaspeed

Thanks for the reply, is the whole process done with AA or do i also have to go to the RMV and haggle around?

any idea how long it will take to get one?

Hi,

It's all to do with the AA but unfortunatly I'm not sure on the duration of the whole process. Good luck

• 6 years later...

is that inclusive of the AA membership thats only optional but that lady over there fails to mention it all the time. next time you go around there just tell its only the license and not the membership

Before you get the Int.License check if the country you intend going to allowes tourists to drive with the local license of their own country. For instance NZ (even Australia I think) permits this for one year from the date of arrival.

Edited by CJ5

is that inclusive of the AA membership thats only optional but that lady over there fails to mention it all the time. next time you go around there just tell its only the license and not the membership

Yes. Very true. They try to sell you their membership which might have its benefits but not worth the money in my opinion. The license alone was less than Rs.1000 few years ago. Don't fall for their con (of trying to sell you their membership)

We discussed this in detail once.. Run a quick search bro :)

I got a new one last October and for normal service it was like Rs900 or something (takes a week or two) and express service (takes three days ?) was about Rs. 1600.

and listen to CJ5 and do some checking....different countries have different policies on accepting the international drivers license.

Before you get the Int.License check if the country you intend going to allowes tourists to drive with the local license of their own country. For instance NZ (even Australia I think) permits this for one year from the date of arrival.
Yes I would also recommend visiting official / gevernment immigration, tourism or motor vehicle licensing authority website of the country you intend to visit and checking if they allow visitors to drive on SL license. (Note: .gov websites and avoid the mickey mouse - know it all websites) It is advisable to check the legislation of the particular State(s) you wish to travel, say if you intend to go to US or Aus. If there is such confirmation then take a print out of the web page when you travel.

last time I checked one could drive in Australia on SL license, if you are a visitor on a tourist visa. But you can't if you are on a Permanent Residence (PR) visa. Things may have changed now.

And as far as I know, none of the Middle East countries allow to drive on SL license.

Edited by HardHat

As it wont cost much there is no harm in getting an international drivers permit.

Yeah!!! Do some charity and help the the ailing Sri Lanka AA to survive!!!