• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why Isn't Drifting Popular In Lanka?

cheechthechi

From what I see, it looks like only hillclimbs, drags, and rallies are popular in lanka. Why hasnt drifting made its impact yet? Also where is that racing track in lanka located?

well thats fairly simple - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION is what its all abt

there's literally no SAFE place with corners wide enough to pull off a proper drift within the colombo city limits

:grinning-smiley-043:

the area with the tightest turns which all car nuts in the city carve up is the Independance Square stretch & the section behind it

but as of late they've moved up the barrier guarding the auditor generals office which doesnt allow enough space to get a car side ways :dance2:

as far as safe organized drifting like the "D1 Circuit" in Japan or "Formula D" in the US simply dont exist here

again i'm inclined to atribute this to both a lack of suitable or rather Easily Accesible Venues & a big enough level of interest in the sport

Drifting is truly an art...one i doubt any Lankan's will be mastering any time soon, purely because of a lack of opportunity! :D

all proper tracks r located well away from colombo - Pannala,Katukurunda,Thissamaharama etc

so unless a purpose designed track comes up well within the colombo district at least,i dont see drifting getting even a fighting chance of sprouting route in sunny Sri Lanka ;)

well thats fairly simple - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION is what its all abt

there's literally no SAFE place with corners wide enough to pull off a proper drift within the colombo city limits

:grinning-smiley-043:

the area with the tightest turns which all car nuts in the city carve up is the Independance Square stretch & the section behind it

but as of late they've moved up the barrier guarding the auditor generals office which doesnt allow enough space to get a car side ways :dance2:

as far as safe organized drifting like the "D1 Circuit" in Japan or "Formula D" in the US simply dont exist here

again i'm inclined to atribute this to both a lack of suitable or rather Easily Accesible Venues & a big enough level of interest in the sport

Drifting is truly an art...one i doubt any Lankan's will be mastering any time soon, purely because of a lack of opportunity! :D

all proper tracks r located well away from colombo - Pannala,Katukurunda,Thissamaharama etc

so unless a purpose designed track comes up well within the colombo district at least,i dont see drifting getting even a fighting chance of sprouting route in sunny Sri Lanka ;)

I also guess the Price of Tyres over here would also have something to do with it...... ;)

From what I see, it looks like only hillclimbs, drags, and rallies are popular in lanka. Why hasnt drifting made its impact yet? Also where is that racing track in lanka located?

bro, i dont think we have very good drifters in SL. this is because we dont have a good place to practice.

One good place to drift is the Borella Kanatha Junction may be on early morning sunday. Road over there is very smooth so there is no strain on the tires as well.

mmmm well most of the Colombo roads are rigged with pot holes... leave aside drifting- u can barely go 10 feet with out falling in to holes and I suppose the tire price is a killer too

:D 100 % Agreed.

Yep all those reasons such as no place to practice,lack of skill, tire prices etc are exactly why it isnt popular here, also with colombo looking like a warzone i guess once the security personnel hear the screach of rubber you are sure to get ur tires busted with bullet holes... :D

Can AWDs do drifting?

Nope not a proper drift - only a 4wd POWER SLIDE

its pretty much induced oversteer via wuts called the "scandinavian flick" :D

u can get FF cars to drift by using the Hand brakes , but it'll only be for a single corner cuz there's no way to keep the momentum going...

....i wish someone would give amature petrol heads an opportunity to try their skills in a controlled n safe environment....

i dont think we have any shortage of skill - only a lak of opportunity

if u look at the ppl at the helm of all the motor racing bodies in the country,all u find r vetran motorists...

...experience is a must n maturity is of paramont importance in governance , but dont u'll feel they should give amatures n youngsters an opportunity to be a part of the motoring fraternity ? unless u'r connected to ppl who race professionally or have a briming bank account there is NO legal way of enjoying a good thrash in ur own car in sri lanka né...

the concept of "TRACK DAYS"is all but lost here...

...well here's hoping that 2007 will give all amature race enthusiasts a chance to get on a track n see exactly wut thier made of..

Malagamuwa's acheivements prove wut Lankans can acheive but just like his story,who's gonna encourage the petrol heads of this generation??

Yep I agree. But what to do? No other place where it can be legally done.

machan how do we go abt gaining entrance to the place? do they rent it out to private individuals for a day or something like that?

this is the location where the Honda meet was held right?

any idea what the charges r like and who i'd have to speak to to book it?

machan how do we go abt gaining entrance to the place? do they rent it out to private individuals for a day or something like that?

this is the location where the Honda meet was held right?

any idea what the charges r like and who i'd have to speak to to book it?

hey devz

think my unlce rented it a while back....i'll chk it out.

also please keep me posted if u guys are havin this or ne other motorin event.

sadly missed both the nismo meet n' the honda meet. :D

hey devz

think my unlce rented it a while back....i'll chk it out.

also please keep me posted if u guys are havin this or ne other motorin event.

sadly missed both the nismo meet n' the honda meet. :P

hey really appreciate any info u can give machan :( mail me direct on [email protected] if its not too much trouble

I'll keep u posted if on any up comming meets - we're trying to have anither NISMO/Super even sometime during the 2nd week of January...

i would be great if u could pass on a number or a contact person through who i may be able to book the autodrome...would be a great help

thanx man :D

hey really appreciate any info u can give machan :) mail me direct on [email protected] if its not too much trouble

I'll keep u posted if on any up comming meets - we're trying to have anither NISMO/Super even sometime during the 2nd week of January...

i would be great if u could pass on a number or a contact person through who i may be able to book the autodrome...would be a great help

thanx man :(

hi dude sorry 4 da delay. i chkd. n' u need to contact Mr Rohan De Silva(the famous racer). tried to get in touch but he's very diff to reach in at the times that i'm free....

hi dude sorry 4 da delay. i chkd. n' u need to contact Mr Rohan De Silva(the famous racer). tried to get in touch but he's very diff to reach in at the times that i'm free....

thanx man...but it would be awesome if u good pass on a contact no perhaps,given he doesnt mind being contacted...

anyways keep me posted on how it goes - ur welcome to mail me direct on [email protected]

In every other city where drifting has sprouted up, it has started on the STREETS!!

In Sri Lanka unfortunately, 90 percent of the roads are terrible. There bumpy, uneven, pot holed, washed away theres no nice areas that you can actually drift on so street drifting is pretty much out of the question.

I cant beleive the roads here, it feels like your going out 4 wheel driving!!!!!

I know my cars back home and 100s of people I knows cars wouldnt even make it around here - too LOW.

So back to the topic, the reason it hasnt taken off is because there has been no initial interest from people who have done it on the streeet to take it to the track. And beleive me, you dont learn as much drifting on a track!

Check this out

http://public.fiat.pl/grzanecki/pliki/sport/puntodrift.wmv

It’s an amateur video taken during the last „Barborka Rally” in Warsaw.

The last part of the movie is really cool, with the Grande Punto in full drift on an old oval test drive track.

Enjoy

dont u'll feel they should give amatures n youngsters an opportunity to be a part of the motoring fraternity ? unless u'r connected to ppl who race professionally or have a briming bank account there is NO legal way of enjoying a good thrash in ur own car in sri lanka né...

Exactly !

In Kandy, I'll suggest Gampola-Nawalapitiya road as an excellent road for drifting. It has a smooth surface, tight turns and zero cops. :):)

• 2 weeks later...

thanx man...but it would be awesome if u good pass on a contact no perhaps,given he doesnt mind being contacted...

anyways keep me posted on how it goes - ur welcome to mail me direct on [email protected]

hey devz, i've got da details for dis, i've mailed u. contact me n' we can organise dis thin.

• 3 years later...