• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restriction In Used Car Imports And The Car Industry In Sri Lanka

inamhash

And heck, we are trying to change things. Thats why we are staying on and trying voting. Bit of a problem when uneducated masses can be swayed by short term promises, but what can u do but try to educated ppl? And forums are one way of educating ppl. Its all about exchange of information, innit?

Educate the uneducated masses thru this forum? First you better go and give them PCs and internet.

Edited by frankcastle

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a motoring site and we love cars. That's why we are here. I'm afraid we do want good roads and good cars at afordable prices, Want a good quality life and rewards for the hard work we do at our work places and businesses.

So I really don't think you can tell anyone of us to stop bitchin!

indeed bro. indeed!

Educate the uneducated masses thru this forum? First you better go and give them PCs and internet.

We'll start with the ppl on this forum dude. On the every little bit helps. Then those ppl spread the word, and the ppl that those ppl spread the word to spread the word, and so on and so forth. :D Baby steps to start man, and gotta start somewhere.

You guys talk about only the rich being able to afford BMWs, Defenders etc, and the common man has to make do with cars from China, India etc. You boys should really stop bitchin. Because the common man in Sri Lanka is the man who cannot afford a car, the man who travels by bus everyday and probably hasn't even heard of the internet. The people who own cars are a small minority in Sri Lanka. You gents belong to that minority.

Hats off to the government in trying to stop money heamoraging to japan. Because ultimately it will make for a better living for the majority of Sri Lankans. be happy with what you have, we are a third world country and we should be so very very thankful that we are in the small percentage that can actually afford cars. So stop bitching about the rich getting richer, because you are the rich.

I wish the government would take drastic action and ban all vehicles above 1.6L. Becuase then we can really make inroads into stopping the biggest drain on our economy - Petrol.

Who the hell is this guy??????????????/

Just give it a rest mate! Yes I know there are bigger issues in the country, like people dying. But our crooked politicians have done absolutely nothing for them or the "uneducated masses" of the country. Like someone else said let them set an example to the rest of us instead of shoving us off the roads in their bulletproof bm'ers and landcruisers!

This is an automotive forum. Not everyone here wants to buy a super-luxury car. But we all work bloody hard and want to be successful. That's reality and we want to reward ourselves by driving something decent. But now we can't even afford a corolla anymore. What's happening to the 300% + duty that the government charges us on new cars? It goes into the treasury and then into our crooked politicians pockets! Do you see any development in the country? Any progress? We are going backward by the day! The fact is we are all getting ripped off!!

No the solution is not to leave the country because whatever said and done I love this crazy place! So we've got to grit our teeth and hang in there. But if I want to bitch about it, then so be it!!

No the solution is not to leave the country because whatever said and done I love this crazy place! So we've got to grit our teeth and hang in there. But if I want to bitch about it, then so be it!!

Well said mate..... :D

end of the day, this is our home, and we've got to put up with it...... and as citizens, if we want to bitch, we can!!!!! right of free speech after all.....

to frankcastle, whoever you are mate, you need to go get ur head examined..... or even better, Join the "Rathu Sahodarayas" then ur views will get the reaction they so richly deserve...... :D

Well said mate..... :lol:

end of the day, this is our home, and we've got to put up with it...... and as citizens, if we want to bitch, we can!!!!! right of free speech after all.....

right on guys 'Supra_Natural' & leonardo and the rest.... welll Said

Freaking where U from frankcastle almost all have heard of the Internet in Srilanka, even thisa Hami has seen a computer and worked on 1- I'm in the internet trade.... Soo Helllllooooooo wake UP

U'r in the wrong bloody forum....... THIS IS AN AUTOMOTIVE FORUM....... CAN U READ ?

Not all of us are rich here but we all love cars... whether it's a RICH guys car or a poor guys car... Simple ..ya..

A 3rd world my foot... we got DB9's ( if U know what that is) we got loads of Bulletproof BM's & Defenders ( Both of which are excellent machines in my view point....

prices of petrol and money loosing to 1.6 L engines is a load of B/Shit- We lose money B'cas CPC officials are very skilled in getting them out with out authorities knowing, high officlas making mistakes in calculations in ordering there by costing1.3Blillion losses.... and guess what..... they get a F*#king warning letter......

Only a minority owns car's - Is that Y I spend 1 1/2 hrs in traffic trying to get home.......

Let's not even start on the tax?

Like some 1 had put it - we've worked hard and getting a 1.6L used car is not a crime - U wanna go about talking how lucky we are- Go to the government- See the waste @ RDA -Battaramula & other locations ......

Besides Guys, we should talk about it and do something, all we do is shut up and take crap form the government, They’ve been doing this all the time and we pocket it out…Is it fair ? I was speaking to an Indian gent while at lunch today, he said it was the same thing in their country but now the government listens

It’s moron’s like U(frankcastle) who make this a living hell….. The 1’s who buys cars but don’t know what driving is about… it’s not all abt stepping on the gas and turning the wheel left and right….. there more to driving than that

WAKE UP MAN-

you know what guys? this frankwhatever guy is just a complete waste of space..... true everybody has their own opinions, but hes taking it too bloody far..... I vote we just ignore the guy...... just another one of those lost causes who thrive on creating uproar....

Well dude, everyone has an opinion and thinks they are right. I mean no one has an opinion and thinks "Hey this might be the wrong opinion, but I'll stay with it anyway" :lol: I'm fine with ppl presenting their opinions in a decent manner, keeping personal attacks out of it.

Well dude, everyone has an opinion and thinks they are right. I mean no one has an opinion and thinks "Hey this might be the wrong opinion, but I'll stay with it anyway" :D I'm fine with ppl presenting their opinions in a decent manner, keeping personal attacks out of it.

Can't argue with that peri, much as i'd like to... :D I guess opinions like this are things that we have to learn to live with, just like the tax.... "Modai Kiyala Marannada?" after all ;)

well said. and i am sure most AL memebers fall into this category including me. we must fight and raise our opinions in the name of hope... bullshit doesn't last forever, somewhere down the line in this path, ppl are gonna learn the lesson.

Can't argue with that peri, much as i'd like to... :D I guess opinions like this are things that we have to learn to live with, just like the tax.... "Modai Kiyala Marannada?" after all :D

Ya Supra U are correct in many ways.... but the situ is "all we do is live with it " you love cars as I've read your posts and the info what U put up is great.....

The fact is how long are we going to put up with this.... I know I can't do jack Shit of the situ.... Look how many ministers have come in... Imagine the number of cars/jeeps each 1 will have as ascots , guards etc... How pays for all this....

We keep taking the buck all the time..... roads closed, paying for fuel hikes because of blunders they have done by putting incompetent people to manage the plc. .....

;) maybe I'm losing my nuts.... desperately trying to adjust to things as they are....

api nahayen anduwa kiyala monawa karandada bung :)

we voted...democracy in one of its cruelest manifestations deemed a victor n now we suffer for the folly n mistakes of our parents&grand parents generations...

its yet another wretched day in the what truly should be Paradise

alas nature teaches us that utopia is all but an ideal limited to the dreams of visionaries

Overall there should be some restriction of world dumping their garbage on us. But like i said earlier with proper alternatives. Right about now we are a country without a plan. We are doing cigarate banning, vehicle restrictions just to show off to the human watch groups and the voter.

Ok, whos into politics in this forum? Next election, Group AutoLanka should participate! :):o

"Low import taxes. High speed limits and subsidized fuel for all..." - Autolanka Chinthanaya

I'm holding the copyright for that.. hik

I love cars. True this may be -in general- a forum for cars, but this topic has now got a bit of a political bent.

So as in every democratically elected governments' democratic tradition-if you don't like it, you can eat my shorts!

To me the choices are clear. Sri Lanka does offer a viable locally assmebled car. I beleive it still needs a "little" development, but it's not costly. You now have a choice. Love of county or love of cars.

If you truly love your country you would buy the locally assembled vehicle and learn to live with it. If you love your cars more you will want to spend more money and buy a better quality foreign import. I'm ashamed to admit that on two occations I have chosen car over country. So yes, I'm a hypocrite and a bastard. Maybe the government is screwing the country in the ass, and the rich bastards are getting richer by the minute. But, we have a weapon, it's called choie. It might not be powerful enough to overthrow a government, but you can exercise it everytime you go to a supermarket or think of buying a car.

I love cars. True this may be -in general- a forum for cars, but this topic has now got a bit of a political bent.

So as in every democratically elected governments' democratic tradition-if you don't like it, you can eat my shorts!

To me the choices are clear. Sri Lanka does offer a viable locally assmebled car. I beleive it still needs a "little" development, but it's not costly. You now have a choice. Love of county or love of cars.

If you truly love your country you would buy the locally assembled vehicle and learn to live with it. If you love your cars more you will want to spend more money and buy a better quality foreign import. I'm ashamed to admit that on two occations I have chosen car over country. So yes, I'm a hypocrite and a bastard. Maybe the government is screwing the country in the ass, and the rich bastards are getting richer by the minute. But, we have a weapon, it's called choie. It might not be powerful enough to overthrow a government, but you can exercise it everytime you go to a supermarket or think of buying a car.

Never....

A Sri Lankan buinsessman who can afford a Sri Lankan built 7.5milion Rexton will buy a used Montero for prestige/name. There are enough of people i know who can afford a brand new 1.2milion trend buying used/hacked Starlets or March. Our people doesnt have that national pride and it will always be the case

If you truly love your country you would buy the locally assembled vehicle and learn to live with it. If you love your cars more you will want to spend more money and buy a better quality foreign import.But, we have a weapon, it's called choie. It might not be powerful enough to overthrow a government, but you can exercise it everytime you go to a supermarket or think of buying a car.

your quite right machan

however - owning a car is more than "love of cars" for the general public - most of us out here on the forum use our passion for motoring as a the key element when making a purchse decision

however,for the rest of the Lankan public car ownership iis about ASPIRATIONS - its realizing an aspiration of being able to " own a car "

for most ppl cars aside from being a mode of transport are a "status sysbol" - it would be nice & idealisticly we all should be proud to own a MICRO

&i'm sure in due time every "Nationalistic" wealthy person will buy a Mcro as second car BUT the avarage joe who earns hard and finally is able to go for a car will be weary of buying MICRO cuz of the more obviouse issues of Parts,Aftersales,2nd hand value & Brand image

no one is going to 'invest' in something which they arent too sure abt né - so at that point nationalism will take a back seat..

IMHO if MICRO keeps up with the high price & uses "patriotosm" as their unique selling proposition then they maybe able to entire all the colombo 7 living crowd to use it as thier run about car supplementing their Monero's o wut evr

BUT it MICRO truly wants to make an impact as LANKAN car firm - then as with the malyasian strategy - é govt should give MICRO a subsidy (@least on one model-use the 300%tax revenue to finance this) until it gets foothold in the market

once thy hold a valid place in the market & can compete with the other alternative foreign makes THEN it can be expected of the Lankan pubilc,car love or otherwise, to buy LANKAN !

also in terms of car lovers,if a local entreprunure brings down Knock Down versions of classics like Porsh 550 sider replaicas , AC Cobras or Westfields & caterhams ,using local labour for assembly - i bet us car loving lankans would go us n buy né

so ur right - é choice is always ours to but Maliban isntead of Arnotts when buying buiscuts at the super mkt BUT i dont think we're at that point in the car industry

so its not really fair to expect ppl to patriotic & risk screwing them selves over by their patiotic chioces

afterall as noted before - if u wanna get screwed over , the Govt will do that FOr ya,so why do yourself in! :lol: